Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Books and Lore (?)

Blizzard

Inactive Member
(No idea if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...)

Submission Type: Lore
Submission URL: None

Faction: None
FM Approved Yet? (No)
Faction requires art? (No)

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (No)
Contains New art? (No)
Previously Submitted? (No)

Alright, so here's the idea: I don't know if this is unique to me, but my character has a love of writing and plans on publishing books. There may be other characters on this site who wish to do the same, or at least write for a hobby, especially when you consider the artistic nature of Yamatai.

What if, on Fictionpress.net (a sister site of Fanfiction.net with the same layout.), we created a SARP community, where one could submit stories about SARP? Things such as a book their character has written, or even an original story staring the characters of one's RP (that wouldn't interrupt canon, of course.)?

Just an idea I came up with for those of us who love to write stories. It would be a way to flesh out the universe even more, on another note.

Admin note: Moved to Setting Discussion since this is not a Setting Submission (setting submissions require wiki articles).

Maybe, if there is interest. What would be the difference between doing that and just posting them as one-person RP threads on the forums?

Admin note: Moved to Setting Discussion since this is not a Setting Submission (setting submissions require wiki articles).

Maybe, if there is interest. What would be the difference between doing that and just posting them as one-person RP threads on the forums?

The layout of fictionpress.com is more conducive to stories, more so than a forum. If the story is multi-chapter, then one wouldn't have to create a new thread for each chapter he made. Doing so, or alternatively, putting all chapters as posts in a single thread, would create a lot of unorganized clutter, in my opinion.

Second, fictionpress works by you creating a Word document, and then submitting it to the site. The Word document will be added to the story of your choice as a chapter. Chapters, in most cases, require several days of work to complete. Attempting to type a 5,000+ word chapter in these reply boxes down here would be a pain, and may result in accidental deletions or submissions of work. Being able to save whenever you wish, close your work, and return at your leisure is a much better alternative.

A topic could be created which would provide a link to the community, but personally I feel more comfortable using fictionpress rather than a forum to create big literary works such as a book.

A link, to show you what I mean: https://www.fictionpress.com/

Everything on the site is %100 free to use. All one would have to do is create an account. I would recommend looking at the communities too, where authors can submit stories that share general traits, such as being about romance, or zombies, or what ever.

To be honest, a lot of people already type longer posts in Word or an equivalent, then just transfer them over. There's also the use of the various pad systems for JPs that allows for multiple user editing on a document in real time, and functions much like a word document.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't use fictionpress, but I honestly don't see any reason we really should, either. Heck, get everything typed up as a book, then put it into the wiki if you need broader posts and more formatting options.

If there was interest for this, I could purchase XenForo's resource manager, and let members upload stories in the form of downloadable eBooks or documents from the forum.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back