• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP Buildings aren't so tough

HarperMadi

🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
A few days after Reaper Cometh
RP Location
Obsidian City, Sirris VI
"Another day playing chess..." William thought. His foe happened to be a friend, his tentacles to be exact. The match was at a standstill, particularly an unwinnable stalemate. Both sides thought hard on their upcoming moves. William has been at this for a while now, the galaxic night poked into his little room. So far, the man hasn't been bothered for the past couple of hours. He liked the peace but the silence was what got his mind thinking all sorts of thing. He may have been accepted into this place, but holy moly was he a nervous wreck. His tentacles nearly got him killed. Twice. From the very leader of Section 6 to an angry Head Scientist. He was keen on just relaxing for the time being. He still had to give his gear a bit of an upgrade but it was an old hobby of his to keep old things as they were. Maybe it was the nice memories of being a mercerany that touched him? After all, he had quite the accessories on his helmet. The symbolism on those cards and camo spoke to him quite a lot. It represented his freedom and newfound friends, aka his tentacles. He sat at a little table, chessboard still stacked with its pieces. His tentacles arched above him, acting as if they were sitting on the other side of the table. William held his chin, pondering more and more about his next move.

A building shaking boom resounded somewhere above him as a section of floor gave way to seven hundred pounds of armor, though the floor below had been a structural floor, made of ten inches of reinforced graphene concrete. The woman in said armor let out a gutteral roar of annoyance as she peeled herself from the ground and stepped out of the thankfully vacant apartment, and started downstairs to make sure she hadn't ruined more than one apartment. Maybe two.

The sudden boom from above brought William to premeditatedly duck under the table. After realizing that his room didn't have a massive hole in the ceiling, he decided to put the chess game on hold before poking his head out of the room. The sound came from upstairs, perhaps someone needed some help. For the sake of safety, William put on his helmet and backpack before heading to the source of the shaking boom above his apartment.

Many others had taken the same idea that William had and looked outside, watching a behemoth of a power armor trooper rip off her dust and building material coated helmet and ask if anyone had been hurt. The blue stripe from her left shoulder to right hip, along with her rank tag were almost as distinct as the white hair and red eyes of a Fenrir clone. Though the proportions seemed off about this one, and the way her armor moved. "Some fucking twatstain used substandard building materials on one of the floors above. Just so you know, your floors might not hold much over seven hundred pounds in one spot. I gotta call in to the DOE to make an inspection on this building."

While her stride was careful, and she moved quickly, her eyes scanning each person as she passed, apologizing profusely for the excitement. Eventually, she made her way down to William and raised an eyebrow, careful to note how the floor didn't make a single squeak as she stood on it. "Backpack? I didn't scare you that bad, did I?"

The black haired lad didn't except to see the very person whom caused all the ruckus. All that power armor...it sure as hell spookied William. For all he knew, he wasn't going to mess with this person. However, his tentacles really wanted to show themselves, yet they needed an "opportunity" to introduce themselves.

"I-I...well you are scaring me with that fancy armor but I'm fine! No really I am!"

William was either trying too hard to hide his rabbit like fear or his get up with his gear was painting the wrong picture. The woman within the power armor did see a glimpse of something moving within William's backpack. A suspicious slight shuffle...

"Don't worry about me being in armor. I was doing some patrols in unoccupied areas of known habitations. Some reports of vagrants, really. I need to check your living room ceiling for damage from my fall. Is that okay?"

Again, her eyebrow raised at the movement in the smaller man's backpack, and even though her seven hundred pound and seven foot figure was imposing, it was at a calm, relaxed parade rest, with no threatening movements or gestures. If anything, Spark's movements were slow and calculated to not cause alarm.

"T-That's fine! Come along then!"

William turned tail and guided this power armor wearing woman to his room. He was mostly nervous about what his tentacles would do. They're particularly a lewd big brother in a sense. Except that there are three of the slimy bastards! Once they reached the inside of William's room, William pointed up the ceiling...only to see one hell of a massive crack be a new feature of this quiet little room.

About at the time Spark looked up to see the crack, she started to put her helmet back on. "Don't worry. Just usung the helmet cam to take a few pictures." A few flexes of her toes, and she pulled the helmet off, sending a damage report up to the Department of Engineering for repair estimates. "I'm sorry about the damages. Is there any way I can help until the Department of Engineering gets here?"

"Well, there's nothing you can really help with-"

William would turn his head to see one of his damn tentacles poking Spark. It spread its harmless slime all over Spark's cheek, like a cat wanting attention by rubbing itself all over someone to make its owner pet it. By this point, William couldn't speak for what his tentacle had done and he damn well knew that he was dead meat.

But Spark merely gave a small sigh and brushed the tentacle off, surprisingly gently. A hand went to a poinch on her hip and she pulled a few tissues up, gently wiping her face with the practiced ease of someone who had spent most of her career in power armor. "You're that kid from the Hades lab, aren't you? I was on the Alpha fireteam that busted you out."

"I-I-I...wait, you were there?"

William was clearly shocked beyond comparison, plus the near tomato like blush did support the fact that he was also embarrassed. He hadn't directly chit chatted with any of his saviors apart from Jack. This woman was particularly an angel in his eyes. He had so many questions in mind. Why did Section 6 busted him out? Why did anyone like Spark gave a shit about saving him? And why does he feel a random urgency to hug the absolute hell out of Spark? He held these questions in reserve for now, he need answers, right now.

"I was. The mission was to neutralize the lab, scan for important intel, and blow it. We rescued several of the victims, and captured a few of their soldiers. But I'm the only one who wears the blue stripe still." Spark nodded, setting her helmet down next to the checker board. "Over the course of that campaign... My commanders often have a no quarter policy. One I disagree with. As my rank indicates, I don't often agree with my superiors."

William couldn't stop himself anymore. He grappled onto Spark, giving her a massive hug like his life depended on it. He remembered how brutal those labs were. All the experiments and devices being plugged into him like a lego brick. All of those things brought suffering to him, yet he's living here and now. A tear went down his cheek then onto Spark's power armor. It was a bit of an overreaction, but he really couldn't blame himself for giving gratitude to Section 6. He could only mutter two words to Spark.

"Thank you...thank you."

To say Spark was surprised was an understatement. The mission had been a simple dispatch for her, and she rarely remembered the details of a mission. More often than not, she learned what she could do better, trained to do so, and kept on living her life. She didn't actually have any idea the impact she could have had. So she confusedly, gently wrapped her armored arms around William's form, letting his tears flow. "I am sorry for what happened to you. If we could have gotten there earlier, we would have."

If William hugging Spark wasn't enough, his tentacles joined in the little group hug. As for William himself, he brought his index finger to Spark's lips, shutting her up.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything...it was my mistake to get captured. I could only blame my choices over the course of my life..."

William did admit that he made some bad decisions along his timeline. He could have joined the Star Army, but he wasn't the whole trooper kind of character. He knew that his shyness could affect his performance on the battlefield. Additionally, his tentacles had a whole different picture to what their host is capable of, apart from the whole getting a child plan.

The armored giantess leaned back, away from the finger shushing her. She wasn't sure she liked the implications of that gesture and picked the man up, her hands gripping under his arms as she held him at arm's length. "I hadn't thought about how my actions could have positive impacts directly. I have been thanked before. I am still often surprised that my being a weapon can have such an effect. Also, please don't touch me like that."

"I'm sorry...got a little carried away with the hugging. I just never seen such a kind soul like you for the life of me."

William kindly remained still for Spark.

"It's... It's okay." She gently set the man down, She knew he was overwhelmed. She had seen it before, so she took a knee in front of him and put up a sweet smile. "I some times have a hard time believing that. Thanks. But I am not kind. I am a clone soldier. I'm a weapon. Merciful, but a weapon all the same."

"I beg to differ, but I do understand your loyality."

William dusted himself off, his tentacles removed themselves from Spark before hovering above their host like branches of a tree.

"When you said about what you could do for me...I kinda need someone to play chess with, apart from my tentacles...maybe we could play a few rounds of chess after your patrol?"

It was true, William was still fresh in Section 6 and hasn't made many friends. He wasn't autistic or lacked social skills. It was his shyness. It wasn't a problem, it was more of a trait for himself overall. He awkardly rubbed his forearm, easing the slight chill in the vacant room.

"I can do that." Spark nodded. "My patrol was almost over. Department of Engineering is on the way to repair your cieling." Slowly, she sat up, looking at the board.

"Whose move?"

"Yours."

William reset the board, placing all its pieces for both players in their corresponding starting positions. His tentacles eagerly watched over the two, spectating them in a mute excitement.

"Alright." Spark thought carefully about her first move, opening with a classic defense, gripping the top of a pawn with her armored fingers and moving it forward.

William thought of his move. Carefully, he too moved a pawn. It took a while, but in the first game, Spark managed to corner the king, and claim check mate. "My apologies. I don't play very often."

"It's alright."

William smiled at Spark before resetting the board once more. This time, William had a strategy up his sleeve and took the first turn by moving a pawn by two tiles. Eventually, his strategy worked as planned, trapping Spark's king using a well bishop and queen.

"Well played." Spark commented, tipping over her king in defeat. "Clearly, you play far more regularly than I do."

But a sudden beeping could be heard from the comms headset in Spark's armor, and she stiffened as her earpiece came alive. She picked up her helmet and tucked it under her arm, standing up quickly. "Sorry, I gotta go. Mission, and I'm on duty."

"Hopefully we'll see each other soon. You were a good chess player."

Before Spark could leave, William gave the power armor wearing soldier another hug. It was quite strange of him but he was still thankful for Spark saving his ass. He broke off from her, leaving Spark to her own business.

Spark gave a small nod, settling the helmet over her short hair. "I look forward to playing chess with you again."

"Same here. Hope that mission turns out well for you."

As Spark exited the room, William's same troublesome tentacle that had stirred up that lucidious face rub happened to give a Spark a "goodbye gift" aka a swift slimely slap on her metal covered butt. William blushed red again but kept his mouth shut in hopes of not drawing Spark's attention.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back