• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

C3A again

Still a cool-looking ship.

Why does it have the armor and shields of a heavy cruiser, when it's a light cruiser?

Well Nepleslian, NDI, and Yamatain definitions for heavy and light cruiser differ somewhat.

The C3a has about the same internal space as a DD4 or C1 though its sectioned very differently for much less crew space and much more equipment. These ships are considered destroyer and a cruiser respectively. This is largely because Nepleslians view ships as needing to be big, and the NDI view them as needing to be really REALLY big. The closest thing Yamatai has to these ships I estimated to be the Eikan heavy cruiser.

Eikan:
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=st ... vy_cruiser

DD4:
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=dd4-d

Here is how I got my estimates:

The DD4 is almost always described as a big brick of manliness so I estimate its internal volume to be like a brick, Height x Length X Width or 170 x 156.6 x 25 for an internal volume of ~665,550 Though the actual space is certainly much less than this.

The Eikan is hard to estimate because of all the pokey bits on it but here is how I estimated its internal volume. I couldn't really tell how far the wings poke out relative to the body so I guessed they about double the height and width of the ship and don't contribute heavily to the internal volume. The ship also has a wedge shape so I viewed that as a triangle from the top and sides (halving and halving again) There are also lots more indention, protrusions, and other bits but I think those will more or less even out so long as the big swaths of empty space covered under the dimensions of the ship are removed.

That left me with (365 x (1/2)160 x (1/2)367.5) x (1/4) ~= 408800 though the actual space would be a bit less than this.

And the C3 is simple, its length and height are almost entirely filled with stuff, just the width needs to be halved to accommodate for the radiator wings.

This got me: 328 x (1/2)75 x 26.7 ~= 328410 though actual space would be a bit less than this.

Which puts all of these ships roughly in the same category for size. The c3 also has a very solid build because it doesn't use weird geometry and when armored I think would easily compare to ships the size of the Eikan (though perhaps not the DD4, which is really just a massively armored space brick).

Edit: In terms of the system scaling up the next rank of battleship would be held by the Chiharu class which I assumed had a similar shape to the Eikan which would give it an internal volume of ~375,000,000 and the Plumbera (two ranks down) would only have ~67733.

More Edit: Added another armor/shield/mitigation rating of 20/20/2 for the unarmored version.

Even more Edit: Decided to reduce the armor from 40/40/4 to 30/30/3

Even more, more edits: Further elaborated on the DR rating for the ship. If This is still confusing some people I'll dumb it down further but I don't think it will be an issue. Also decided that additional FTL features could be better done as separate entries later so the ship's FTL system has been changed down to only what has been pre-approved in other entrys.

Before I start, let me say that I know the forum is closed now...but I'd promised Zack beforehand I'd take a look at the C3A.

Even more Edit: Decided to reduce the armor from 40/40/4 to 30/30/3
Thanks, I think that was a good call.

Overall, I really like the style of this ship writeup. It's very back-to-basics, with manual hatches, stack design, and such.

Deck 4

The ship’s bridge has a table in the center with numerous chairs and attached workstations. Both the table and the walls are used to generate a volumetric image of the surroundings and display information about the ship.
Are the workstations attached to the chairs or the table? This section needs to be more clear.

Sublight Engines, Cruise: 0.075c
Sublight Engines, Travel: 0.345c
The ship should get a speed bonus when the armor shell is removed, per the new DR rules. :)

While the weapons are generally not strong enough to damage the hull of a ship they are more than capable of overloading and damaging sensors. They are collectively rated as SDR: 1 and have a range limited to several light seconds.
Not sure this should be that powerful (it's more powerful than a TASHA tank's main gun).

a directional anti-FTL field that is limited only by the ship’s sensor capabilities.
I would like an actual number here, I think.

The C3 has numerous internal gyroscopes, rotating pieces of equipment that are used to change the orientation of the ship without using the ship’s engines.
Some explanation is needed in this section.

sensors are civilian grade but boosted to FTL speeds with the ship's FTL drive.
How?

‘Super Vogel’ FTL system
This should link to centralized Super Vogel article, since it isn't unique to this ship.

Fighters

6 N-F/A 01 Fighters
Where are these stored? Also, the "shuttles" header should be removed if there are no shuttles.

edited / expanded all of the things listed. The offending deck description was beefed up, vogel moved to a separate page, ECM DR revised downward, where the fighters are stored added, gyroscopes explained, and the new speed ratings were added.

I took out the bit about the FTL sensors and the Vogel page is really thin right now. I intend to beef both of those up in separate submissions later.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back