• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Camantum

Ok, the idea of the Gartagen's developing a 'super' immune serum to protect their people is okay.

But I have problems with this virus supposedly giving them Regeneration which is what it does if it allows them to regrow limbs etc.

Having a engineered virus to fight infection is one thing, but you are wanting that same virus to have the intelligence to determine that a limb has been lost and to stimulate the various cells, skeletal, musculature and nerves to grow the limb. That's just not possible.

I can easily edit it, but what if i stipulate that the regenerative properties are only possible with guided medical care?

My personal take is, that it would probably make more sense that they have a different item that they use for healing. This gives your people a robust immune system, without overworking the virus.

1: I suggest combing through your submission again. I've found a few misspelled words. "Science Laps" being one I came across.

2: It wouldn't be a "virus" but a "phage".

3: Viruses are primarily used as vectors. Meaning they introduce genes into cells.

4: Phage Therapies exist but have disadvantages. Disadvantages the almighty nanomachine may not or can't combat or adapt to given from the looks of it, the Gartagen's infancy with this technology.

5: Primary disadvantages of using viruses (Phage Therapy) as an "immunobooster" is diversity. With this kind of medicine unknown or multiple bacterial/viral forms cause them to be at a disadvantage so there is no all encompassing "anti-everything" booster. Mixing multiple phage forms into the serum would work. Including the research of these unknown substances, but it would have to be done on a case by case basis. And in the meantime your foreign substance would wreak havoc on the host body before a "Cure" would be found. Which just doesn't seem effective to me considering the time it would take.

6: Your body would work against you with this as it would then begin introducing antibodies. You say symbiotic but it appears parasitic. What prevents the body from rejecting or attacking the foreign substance? Also, mutation could occur and result in a new virus. One of which that could potentially be lethal.

7: Phage Therapy is primarily used to treat bacterial infections. Fungal, Prion, and Viral infections maybe too complex or outright resistant. Increasing time of treatment due to research or lack of sufficient treatments for those pre-established infection types. This excludes foreign bodies.

8: Viruses as regenerative therapies? No... just no. Make something else for that.

9: What is the method of action? How does it not become a blip on the immune system's radar? And please don't say "vague magic." When I see super boosters and anti-everything stuff crop up I suddenly become interested.

I see your point on many levels, and i eradicated the regenerative properties of the Camantum.

I have also combed through the article and I am changing a few things up.

But I assure you Soresu, as a med student I am fully aware of what viral and bacteriophage therapy is in modern medicine.

To answer your question though the virus is controlled through nano technology which monitors and prevents mutation, thus halting the virus from killing the hosts.

As far as symbiosis goes I explained that in the wiki. The host gives the virus a home, the virus then protects the body.

Once again we are in a setting with space ships and laser guns, so allow me to have some fun please. If you really want Bog this article down with enough scientific lingo to make your heads spin.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…