Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Can a civilian get a PHALANX?

Toshiro

Inactive Member
1. Must one be nude to pilot the Super PHALANX?

2. How much does one cost to buy (I request prices for both the standard Ph-M1-3B and the upgraded, and more desirable, Ph-M1-3C.)

3. Can a civilian obtain one?

1. No, Phalanxes can be piloted in clothing. Though you'd probably be more comfortable with something lighter than a uniform.

2. Um ... lots. Derran never put a price on them, so lots.

3. Well, you wouldn't get one from the SA. Probably going to have to ask the Nepleslian government. Most civilians have Demons or worse.

The Phalanxes are synthesized around their pilots for each mission on contruction pads. The Star Army has a contract with the manufacturer, Phoenix Armaments (a Nerimian company) to use them, but it cannot sell them. I think the same applies to the Nepleslian military. You'd have to get the Phalanx-building pads from their manufacturer.

You might be able to buy black market from some place on Nepleslia, such as an arms dealer. But honestly, that'd be a lot of cash. A couple hundred thousand at the very least.

Quanta-Construct pads are contracted out for a base price and for every instance a Phalanx is constructed, a nominal fee is charged. So finding a black market Quanta-Construct pad is neigh impossible because the pad is designed to stay in communication with Phoenix Corp so it can assess charges.

And I suppose the platform itself in tampering-resistant, wouldn't it? The Star Army of Yamatai and corporations like NovaCorp and Emrys make a big deal out of making their hardware non-alterable or reverse-engineerable (okay, so, that word doesn't exist - I made it up ~_^ ).

Frankly, I find that boring. There ought to be a way to tweak a platform to make it possible to build the Super Phalanx itself. Besides, communicating back to Pheonix Corp is hardly practical if you happen to be in a ship on a stealth mission. Create an armor and POOF! Your cover is ruined.

Well, the communication doesn't have to be in real-time and can be delayed until it is practical to do so.

But while I won't say it's impossible to basically hijack a platform to allow you to utilize the Super Phalanx without buying a license, it's almost cost-prohitibive to do so as if you had the kind of resources to be able to crack the platform's intrusion countermeasures you'd be able to buy a license.

So one who, say, finds an armor generation pod in salvage (since that's one of the things that can be found on the lists) can't even use it without buying a license? How much is a license?

The Confederate currency is called the DC - Draconian Credit

So it might cost 1.7 billion DC for 1 unit plus an additional 40,000 DC everytime an armor is formed. Likely cost-prohibitive for a ragtag group, but for a military power, it's chump change.

Once Wes tells you how much 1.7 billion DC is in KS then you'll have your price.

MM007, I'm working on a power-armor for civilians if you're interested.

Look for "Winter Frame" under Contributions & Improvements.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back