• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Can a Taii hire a civilian contractor?

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
So, we have a problem.

This character could exist as a civilian contractor of sorts. But Wes has said very clearly he does not want civilian contractors. However, this exact situation, within the confines of SAINT and a Taii-ranked character, has occurred before with Kotori and Yukisato Mizuho.

I never got a crystal-clear answer as to whether Kotori somehow had permissions that Helen, who runs a SAINT ship, does not, or if Kotori was just acting illegally and was a) never caught or b) was caught and not punished.

That's why I'm keeping my question specific here. We know the U.S. military hires contractors all the time, but Wes, for some (good) reasons, doesn't like this practice.

So, if possible, I'd like some clarification on this point, and some reasons why.

If I knew it had been illegal, I might not have had Kotori do it. The point was involve another member of the community in my plot, not struggle over semantics and such.

If it's any comfort, the situation was resolved. Mizuho is no longer around.

SAINT cannot hire independent contractors because it is a secret organization.

1. From an IC perspective, having a civilian aboard leads to legal issues (orders, pay, personal danger, secrecy) and disruption of the chain of command (the rank structure is there for good reason).

2. From an OOC perspective, civilian contractors are a cheap ways to get around the restrictions of being in the military and still get all the benefits like the best technology and game support.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back