• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Change to the DR System?

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
Old DR Rules said:
Ships //are// allowed to use more than one type of shielding at once, but the total SP shall not exceed the SP of a regular shield system. For example, a ship with one shield system might have 20 SP (Threshold 2), while a dual shielded ship could have two shields that are 10 SP (Threshold 2) each, or 5 SP and 15 SP. Again, the total SP should not give multi-shield ships an advantage. Basically, **multiple shield systems are pointless in this setting**.
+ Ships //are// allowed to use more than one type of shielding at once, but the total SP shall not exceed the SP of a regular shield system. For example, a ship with one shield system might have 20 SP (Threshold 2), while a dual shielded ship could have two shields that are 10 SP (Threshold 2) each, or 5 SP and 15 SP. Again, the total SP should not give multi-shield ships an advantage.

New DR Rules said:
Multiple shields do not allow a ship to sustain more points of damage. **The reason multiple shields are allowed is only to allow defense against multiple weapon types. A ship, regardless of the shield type(s), only has one threshold - equal to their class (1 through 5).**

Alright wes, this is clearly an attack against a design that I had been creating and is now up for approval. So I am inclined to ask why you feel so threatened by a shuttlecraft that you just up and change the core rules at a whim.

Personally I feel rather insulted and slighted. I put forth a thread previously about the topic, in GM chat no less so that the general public would not be involved with it, you didn't voice any concerns then. Now however you go and change the rules, which the concept completely complied with, to disqaulify the submission. You didn't bring this up in any thread you just went and changed the game mechanics surrounding it. I honestly feel that my concept wasn't an exploitation of the rules but a valid mechanical representation of an alternative method of shielding that uses smaller and less powerful shields to protect a ship from big hits.

After all, any technician that is aware of a shuttle having a weak hull would want a way to protect the hull as much as possible. Using multiple generators with a smaller shield capacity but the same threshold (ability to take damage before temporarily overloading) is a valid alternative.

edit: And by description of the mechanics as well as the description of the Regenerative shield system the entire UOC fleet's shields are borked.

I'm not seeing where there is a difference between the stated rule and the second quote other than some poorly-worded and hard to understand mechanics. The main point is that both ships with a single shield system and those with multiple shield systems have the exact same capacity for damage reduction.

That post does not change anything that has ever been stated by Wes, which is that multiple shields may never have a damage reduction capacity greater than that of a ship with a single shield system. All multiple shields do or have ever done is provide protection against different kinds of weapons.

And in fact this still is in compliance with that ruling. The only difference is multiple shields are designed to be weaker individually and apply the reduction immediately instead of over time. Because of this though they are taken offline faster due to their smaller capacity overall.

Raz is 100% correct here. The DR rules were not changed, just clarified, in light of the recent shield discussion, where people were divided over the "loophole" of multiple shield thresholds (which were never allowed).

I have not had a chance to read your submission, but if it contains more than one shield threshold it will be denied based on the rules.

I'd kinda preferred if you could have discussed additional changes to the DR rules in a more diplomatic fashion, Wes. Although you're free to do as you please, some of us like to at least know what's the deal so that we may be aware of new articles to be appended.

I am aware that you don't really consider it a shift in the meaning of the rules at all, but I feel I must disagree a little. In documents of law, clarifications to more general sections of a law are still considered amendments, and even though this site was not established with a democratic, there are certain courtesies to be taken into consideration.

This'll be the fourth time I've had to change my articles because of things like this, and the second time without notice.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back