Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Character idea: Can these be implemented?

Toshiro

Inactive Member
Okay, I have read rules, ship data, and various other things until my brain has begun to throbb slightly, and now I am seriously considering the creation of a character. The thing is, I want him to be somewhat independent, but his specific job isn't listed. Naturally, I have a few questions.

1. Can I have a character who salvages damaged parts from the battlefield and sells used/refurbished goods, as well as keeps an eye out for survivors and Soul Savior Pods after battles have been completed? This character would likely serve in a dual scavenger/humanitarian capacity.

2. Can this character have decent piloting, technical, and engineering skills?

3. Could this character use his own supplies and materials to refit/repair ships suitable to his trade?

4. Could this person have control of a single ship, a customized Vampire meant for hualing and defending salvaged parts and crew more safely, or fight off damaged/left behind foes in the battlefield remains? (Many civilian one-person vessels shown seem to have moderate combat ability, but are too small to as as light civilian frieghters.) I was thinking of an emerald green Vampire custom named the "Yggdrasil".

Sorry about the questions...if you want to know more about the character, I can tell you, but these are my big questions right now.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

^_^

Please note that the Star Army of Yamatai is stingy with its technology and tends to leave patrolling warships around their battle sites to prevent looting. Of course, if he's going to be helping the Star Army find SSPs and lost crew, I'm sure they can cut him some slack and let him gather approved debris (especially that of enemy ships).

That's part of the character idea. While he has a ship archetype associated with possibly less-than-honorable jobs, and collecting debris could be seen by some as "raiding a grave", the character himself will have nothing but respect for the battlefield, and will always look for survivors and SSPs first and foremost.

I have been thinking about the specific custom parts on the Yggdrasil, which would likely include the previously mentioned paint job (He'd be easily identifiable as himself rather than a pirate/merc), a slightly modified control system for one person to operate the ship, MAYBE an enlarged cargo area, and a very custom grappler arm system, perhaps close to what was seem in Outlaw star. While primarily for careful manipulation of objects outside the ship without relying on a tractor beam-like device, or for objects that require external repairs in dangerous areas where a civvy mech (with minimal radiation shielding for instance) might have trouble. This would require fine control though, and would likely have an independant computer system. I have recently been thinking of combat applications this can be used for, but am not done doing so, and their combat capacity may be limited in function to a pair of multi-directional blasters while the Yggdrasil's shields are in place.

In addition, the Grapplers could be set to automatically push aside large bits of debris to avoid stressing the ship's shields and spike systems, and could also be used to manually sift through debris where specific types of weapons fire has been discharged to make normal scanning difficult. Furthermore, if he wished to bring debris inside the ship, he'd have to lower his shields to do that, and the grapplers would make a good supplement to the spike to protect the vessel in a collision-prone environment. Grapplers, at least in the salvage area, could be a nice upgrade. Also, while pretty useful, it isn't anything technologically groundbreaking. Still, something that big would likely require approval. Would it require approval, and if so, is it something I could get installed onto the Yggdrasil?

Edit: Given the nature of the high-collision risk environment, multiple small thrusters to increase the Yggdrasil's normal agility to permit it to move in unconventional directions may be prudent as well. At this rate, I may have to submit an application for a full-fledged Vampire Variant.

Sure, a grappler or two sounds fine and I wouldn't require it to be posted, although it would be the device was posted so others could use it too. If you want to make a Vampire variant, go ahead. The changes you've posted are fine and the variant would have an easy time getting approved.

I just kept having additional ideas and it became a decent refit. Here is a temporary page that I set up with the data of the ship. I'm still working on the character alluded to as the Yggdrasill's creator.

*link removed and data placed in this thread:
https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29064#29064

What do you think? I want a general opinion before I officially submit it.
If you think it is too much for some reason, let me know what would need changed.

Looks good to me!

Okay than, once my character is approved, I'll submit it formally.

Looking at the Sfpurflik system gives me yet another idea...perhaps if Toshiro ever finds out about the place ICly, and things don't change too much (they may) there'll be another design sometime in the future...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back