• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Chigusa's Handcannon

Chigusa

Inactive Member
Here's my idea for a new gun. I'd like to know if anyone thinks this is a feasible idea.

Type: Ballistic (Durandium)
Class: Pistol
Sub-class: Semi-automatic
Model: "Chigusa's Handcannon"
Dimensions: 215 x 195 x 40 mm
Weight: 1053 grams unloaded with empty magazine.
Caliber: 11 x 20 mm blade-tipped durandium with Thermite Charge

Capacity: 6 rounds

Controls: Ambidextrous decocker, pressure sensor in trigger releases firing pin safety. Fires razor-tipped durandium rounds fitted with thermite explosive charges through a miniature particle accelerator. Fitted with a small generator to power the accelerator. Bullet pierces armor, then detonates. Uses a revolving loading mechanism.

WARNING: Extremely susceptable to jamming, as it is a prototype weapon. There is about a 1/6 chance it will fire when the trigger is pulled.

Additions: None.

Review: The 'Handcannon' as in apt name for this weapon, as it's entire basis for usage would be to cause moderate damage to components of Power Suits, and to inflict lethal harm to out-of-vehicle personnel. Thermite charges are 1/2 second timed explosives, allowing the bullet to drill into it's target before exploding.

Is this feasible?

It's a hand-held weapon that can only be categorized as a pistol, but it's definitely bigger than a handgun. See: Dimensions

Edit: 6 rounds to pacify you.

Moved to contributions and improvements. Chigusa, it's cool to have "possibly feasable" ideas in here. We try and keep the Setting Discussion thread for broader questions only.

Wait...what's the point of the razor-tip if they just explode on contact anyway? Perhaps it should have a split-second detonation time, to allow the bullet to drill into the target and THEN detonate where it would cause more damage?

Jack Greyfox said:
Wait...what's the point of the razor-tip if they just explode on contact anyway? Perhaps it should have a split-second detonation time, to allow the bullet to drill into the target and THEN detonate where it would cause more damage?

That's the whole point. That's what it does.

There's not nearly enough detail as of yet. An anti-mecha hand gun seems a little far fetched however.

It's not necasarilly anti-mecha, as it can't destroy power armors. However, it can do moderate damage to specific weak points on a power armor, for example, the barrel of a gun.

Note that most middle to high end power armors have energy shields and repulsion that you have to go through before actually chipping the armor. The charge may be capable of hurting some shields, but a pistol scale partical accelerator flinging a large shell like that is not going to get past normal repulsion.

Keep in mind, this is a gun developed by a tinkerer.

IC, Chigusa still has more to learn about weapons development, so creating a flawed weapon is easilly something that might happen when she tinkers, no?

The purpose is simple.

First of all, it has practical uses.
Second, unless Chigusa can create items like this IC, she can't practice to get better.

No, she can if she intends for it not to work right or be all that effective. Let's not be stingy... or else the possibility of being an aspiring inventor whom will not always succeed at doing her projects will not be possible.

She doesn't intend to be right, she doesn't mind that her gun not be all that succesful - but she wants to try and build something. we should see this in those lights.

Zakalwe, if you have objections to this, why not just give constructive criticism about how she might pull it off instead of just a 'no'? I understand your position given how other submissions work too, so, I can relate some - but her goals are realistic and valid as well.

So let me get this straight:

According to Zalkawe, it's impossible for Chigusa to make anything that isn't perfect?

She's not an expert yet, and in order to create a real "good gun," she'd need more practice. My point is, if this doesn't get approved, she hasn't practiced, meaning she can never create "good guns."

That's not realistic, and it deprives the RP of elements that are required for characters to improve their skills.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…