• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

(Civillian) Celestial Yacht

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
kai
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=celestial_yacht

Muaha! it is complete! ish...
Find my faults! I know I have some, I just can't see 'em. Help me make this thing into something usable. I've got a plan for something.

Zakalwe
If you want to RP in this ship you'll need massively more complete descriptions of the interior. Look at something like the Thanatos or Sakura to see how much description you should ideally have.

In addition I'd expect a luxury vessel to have some higher defences, and possibly a HEX cannon or two - they're basic for low power NovaCorp vessels. Other than that I like the way the ships developing.

kai
The way I meant it to be was a customizable ship, so each one would look different inside, and for RP purposes, each one would have its own Wiki describing the interior in more detailed, to show the uniqueness of the vessel. I Guess I could do just a standard options detail, but not now, I'm too tired and busy.

What do you mean by higher Defenses? it's a civillian ship not meant for combat, and it's fast so it's more practical to run away than attempt to tough it out. Though when I put one into Rp i'd probably have it customized to fighting quality, but still, this is standard loadouts, saying nothing of what options are, as the options are anything legal that the buyer can imagine.

I'm going to have to look up HEX cannons to see what they are...

Thank you for liking my idea.

Zakalwe
I'm just saying that rich people like their protection, and with NovaCorp technology it wouldn't be hard to have a higher shield strength. However it's not a matter that approval rests on.

By the way, it would take a few years for an Ion drive to his 0.5c.

Miss Strangelove
Points at the Crooked Demon reaching 0.7c velocities in almost no time with, if I recall correctly, roughly 4000-6000% the Specific Impulse of the strongest theorized ion drives.*

A wizard did it. Or, the anti-gravity device thing it has.

kai

I fixed the descriptions of rooms to have detailed descriptions of the standard models.

I checked over the HEX cannons and decided my EMP cannons should work fine and are sufficiently low tech enough to not put up warning flags.

SL, I think I may have to do said anti-grav things to make my speed "more plausible" If someone has a better way of making the ship's STL speed be .5 C, could you help me out?

I also think I need a power source, such as a generator of some kind, And no one seems to notice that they are missing. what is a power supply that is strong, long lasting before needing to be refueled, and NOT aether or hyperspace tap?

Zakalwe
NovaCorp traditionally uses Quantum Foam. Look at The Gates and Onslaught.

kai
Thank you Zak, I have added that to my submission.

Soresu

Or use some form of anti-matter reactor. If you have a matter collection system on board, you'd basically be able to refuel as you travel I imagine. But Zak beat me to it with the Quantum Foam.

Not to nitpick, but, at 262,980c for the CDD makes it nearly as fast as a Sakura-class gunship in CDD which goes at 300,000c. O.o

kai

well, it's basically a Ferrari of the stars, it's meant to be really, really fast. I actually toned it WAAAAYY down from what I originally put for the speed.

Soresu
Well, does it just use one Ion Drive, or more then one to accelerate to 0.55c? *is actually curious now* You could probably slap on a low end Gravimetric engine to it, and have the same speed, but at a faster acceleration rate.

kai
I was wondering that, too, since I don't really know what type of drives do that... someone already told me the Ion drive accelerated way too slow.. so I need to change it.

I believe I've figured a way to get past the slow acceleration of the Ion drive: Simply get to speed using the CDD then kick in the Ion drive for higher efficiency.

Hmmm. CDD is the basic FTL travel system next to the Hyperfold drives. CDD is as far as I know the SARP's 'warp drive'. So I figure if you exit FTL, and use the remaining inertia, and activate the Ion Drive it could be done, and maintain that speed. You'd likely have to do a counter thrust to go to safe velocities, or rather controllable ones. In other words to simply slow down to safe traveling speeds.

But, a question just for myself, and to sate my curiousity. It just has the one Ion Drive?

The CDD does not exert inertia on an object, I do not believe.

I recommend a system which can manipulate or circumvent Newtonian Law. Specifically to reduce the ship's apparent mass.

This would reduce the impact of inertia and proportionately allow for higher accelerations with lower level engines.

In fact, I could see such a system being used on most low-level STL systems to boost performance...

Edit:

The speed of this unit approaches the Sakura, at a fraction of the size (feet vs. meters), which I find implausible, even for a rich man's ship. Also, the Sakura needs supplemental nacelles to attain that speed, otherwise it is limited to 70% of its top CDD capability.

I believe the Vampire's 67,000 c Hyperpulse is the current high range for legal civilian vessels (The Bellystabber is actually an illegal Yui 4), so I do not think this ship should have a speed any greater than 12 LY/H (105,192 c). Also note that the CDD can also act as an STL system, often going from 0c to 0.99c. The Ion Drives could become an emergency backup.

It has a 5 LY/M fold system? This is a bit much, don't you think? I am VERY hesitant to approve civilian fold systems in excess of 1 LY/M without justification other than "they're rich".

While I normally frown upon a refit cycle of once a year, these guys can afford it...and it seems that these speeds would put a strain on the ship's components, so it seems about right.

it has a 0.5 ly/min CDD top speed, sorry, I forgot the 0 in front. This ship is meant to be as fast as possible, and did the calculations for a 0.5 ly/min vessel, and that's the C speed it came up with if that's not plausable, then maybe my calculations are off. Also, I don't remember including a fold system, just the CDD. If it's still too fast, I guess I can change it, though I don't want to, as my plan for it needs it to be as fast as it is.

Remove the fold speed and please decrease the max CDD speed to what I stated above or lower.

I could see other factions attempting to make ships capable of pacing with or outrunning the Sakura, but I will not approve a civilian vessel to have Sakura speeds--especially when it's just a fraction of the Sakura's size.

Sakura is the YSA's speed demon anyway. To make a ship capable of outrunning her requires a huge R&D department, superior CDD design knowledge, and a bigger ship to contain the system.

I do not wish for CDD speeds for civilian vessels to exceed the figure I stated above, nor civilian fold systems to exceed 1 LY/M, except perhaps in rare instances (CSEIA is such an example, since it's a tech think tank with less-than-legal technology).

I agree with Toshiro.

Since this is about 1/3 the size of a Sakura, I divided the speed by three. Not as fast as I wanted, but still pretty fast apparently. Also, I didn't realize I was giving it a fold speed, so I took that out.

I read it, and realized it would NEED a fold system to function as I envisioned it.. so I'll work on giving it one.

I also reduced the CDD speed.

I find no mention of an additional fold system in your wiki...you may wish to correct that, unless I caught you in the midst of doing so.

Also, Hyperpulse might be what you're thinking of, Soresu, though I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Hyperfold is a type of fold, but I do not recommend it for this submission. Using Hyperspace is difficult, even for military grade vessels. Subspace id good enough here.

What I did was I expanded the description of the FTL travel paragraph to say both CDD and CFS travel could be utilised.

FTL travel is facilitated through the use of a CDD drive and CFS system. The Continuum Distortion Drive propels a ship at speeds many times the speed of light by generating Continuum Distortions and nesting them to create asymmetric peristaltic fields, using a set of distortion coils. The normal CDD speeds are augmented by working with the forward deflector to enter a quantum slipstream. This allows the ship to travel thousands of times the speed of light. The CFS is toned down compared to military ships, and is used mainly for creating Fold points for Intra-stellar travel. In extreme emergencies it may be used as a shield, though this strains the ship's hardware and is not recomended.

I always thought that the CDD utilized and was PART of the CFS...

Either way, the CFS itself is not a fold system. Please look through the Wiki for more examples and elaborate/refine.

From what I read in the CFS wiki, it is a fold device, and I did some copy/paste with some edits on for the CFS into my propulsion section.

Propulsion

The ship propels itself at speeds many times the speed of light by generating continuum distortions in the CFS and nesting them to create asymmetric peristaltic fields. The normal CDD speeds are augmented by working with the forward deflector (located on the underside of the ship). This allows the ship to travel thousands of times the speed of light. This gives Star Army ships the advantage of attacking at FTL speeds. Some ships use a combined distortion drive capable of generating small wormholes, navigating the quantum slipstream, creating hyperspace fold points, and acting as sublight propulsion. Distortion-based systems allow the ship to stop or move nearly instantly because the ship has not “moved.

I find it a bit contradicting all things considered. A Himiko has a Hyperfold unit, and is not part of the CFS. =\ That is what led me to believe the Fold fold drive is a seperate unit or drive all together.

Also, I won't approve a ship design with blatantly copy-pasted descriptions.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back