• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Clarification on exactly how quantum communication works?

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Inactive Member
Hi,

I've got a good idea of many ways it COULD work but I'd like to know which method is used by various factions of the SARP.

Thanks.

Re: Clarification on exactly how quantum communication works

Yamatai's is based on quantum-entangled particles that instantly transfer information to one another. Aside from that, it's not really elaborated upon. This is probably one of those areas where we don't need to get overly realistic with the science.

Short range, the gartagens use their laser and radio communications stuff...long range they will open up micro hyper fold rifts and beam signals through to their intended destinations.

Mm. I was pondering ways to jam it on paper but... You can't jam a transmission that has no signal.

Of course, entanglement swapping offers a potential way to 'break' the component performing the action in question - but you'd need to know which particles specifically to block and for that, you'd need a very high resolution sensor system -- or to be entangle-swap a cluster of atoms instead of just a small number.

Usually if you try to duplicate the particle pair by 'substituting' one for another that you've made the entanglement is broken or the information is lost due to no one proton being exactly the same as the other.

Generally, Quantum Entanglement communications are as close to unjammable as is possible to make, unless you have some device to prevent quantum relationships in a fixed area. The biggest issue with QE comms is that you have to physically move both ends of the comm, since they're basically reliant on a particular paired, or set of paired, atoms that are manipulated to create the message. So if you can take out the hub of the communications network through other means you can cripple the local communications network. But short of, say, blowing up the mothership for your local batch of hostile Marines, you're not likely to be able to disrupt their C&C.

Jamming has been done, the UOC Blackout was a clear example. I would just say we accept that yes it can be done, and not get too caught up in the technical ways. Suffice it to say, it would usually be a localized effect, or would require massive power like the aforementioned blackout which was being powered by stars.

Seeing as there are weapon and power systems that essentially involve ripping holes in the time-space continuum in this setting, I can actually buy that jamming quantum communicators is possible. But you aren't likely to be able to intercept them short of stealing one half of the entangled pair, I would think.

It's actually possible to 'jam' entanglement. High neutrino burst event. The neutrinos only weakly interact with normal matter, so on one hand it's a bit like using a scattergun to snipe a fly at a range of 5 miles. On the other hand because they only weakly interact with normal matter it requires a block of lead roughly 26 lightyears thick to protect from this sort of 'jamming'.

Because they weakly interact with normal matter, however, if you get enough of them you should be able to disrupt the entanglement. This won't just jam the entanglement communicate. It will break it. And all other quantum entanglement based devices on the ship. And they will be unrepairable until you go back to base and get new entangled pairs made. However the amount of nutrinos necessary to do this would require doing stupid stunts near a magnitar, or some sort of nutrino producing technology.

Anyway, TLDR "You can break the entanglement binding the pairs with a neutrino burst and some luck. That's break not jam. As in "No longer works until you return to base for extensive refits" not just "Can fix with some jury rigging within an hour""

RPG-D RPGfix
Back