• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission [Colonial Pact] P-1000UMK 'Starburn' Anti-ship Missile

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
"...high energy blast front." (Please add a sentence to describe what this means as it is the primary goal.)

"...is a large very long range anti-ship and..." (Please change to: "...is a large, very long range anti-starship, and...")

These are things beyond the speed issue, which is being discussed.

I believe that was handled to an acceptable degree by the Atrop article.

I believe that was handled to an acceptable degree by the Atrop article.

How were any of those things "...handled to an acceptable degree by the Atrop article[,]" Arieg? Furthermore, you haven't addressed what Toshiro said in his post:

I agree. I am merely stating what happened in the discord so that there is a record of it and that it is known.

Edit: https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/index.php?threads/missile-speeds.59325/ Wes weighed in here, and he also liked the final post. There was nothing stating that the rule was lifted, if anything, he preferred a move away from hard STL numbers in favor of acceleration but nothing specific was submitted. For the moment, the current speed limits stand as rules. A missile can still overtake a target if less heavily armored, and 0.025-0.075c is still a massive amount of speed. Much higher and relativistic effects might take hold on the missile, rendering the speed moot anyway...unless the missile has compensating systems for that, which adds more complexity, etc.

The previous missile that was approved at 0.5c was likely approved in violation of existing rules in an honest mistake, especially given the confusion over the issue. Maybe that approval should be rescinded?

Last edited:
It's correct that this violates the starship speeds standards, but this isn't a starship. Rather, missiles are designed to destroy fighters and starships. It's the same as how we don't regulate cannon velocity. As Rizzo's post pointed out, it's best to assume that the weapons actually work, and I have found that in order to have missiles actually work, they need to be faster than what they're designed to destroy. The previous missile I approved was designed as an AIM-9 analog, and is precisely that. Something that works. Against something like a Hayabusa II, it's got an intercept time of 25 seconds at maximum range, not that many people would ever think that'd even connect.

If we use that logic though, we risk things like PA and fighters being submitted without speed limits by merit of "not being starships". While I understand the logic, I worry about the precedent...a precedent I want to follow but find unclear and ill-defined.

Well, there's some other things to consider too to prevent that. They not only have people on board, but are not fully optimized for interception like missiles and torpedoes are; power is diverted to things such as inertia dampening and life support to keep crew alive, as well as weapon systems. In comparison, missiles and torpedoes are made for a very fast one-way trip.

EDIT: I still consider power armor and fighters to be space-faring vessels.

The logic is sound, and I am not against faster missiles...as long as I'm told how fast a missile should be when I make one. The fact that purpose seems to impact missile speed is potentially even more confusing.

Well, the way I see it, the missiles only need to be around 20-25% faster than what they're intended to be used against. Since fighters tend to be on the faster or fastest side of things, we shouldn't be seeing missiles going over 0.5c.

This makes sense. Needs to be explicitly stated in the wiki somewhere though lest we ask this question over and over again.

Is it the stuff in there, or anything else he has to change?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ