• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Commercial employees aboard Star Army ships, starbases, and at planetary facilities.

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
There are many cool restaurants in the SARPiverse, like Sea of Plenty and Flavor of Victory and KPC and Kagami's. Sometimes these establishments appear on Star Army bases. But not only that—on military star fortresses and even a few YSS-prefixed warships in the fleets!

My question is who staffs these locations? On Star Army planetary bases, it makes sense that civilian contractor employees can be brought in. That's how it works in real life; civilians staff the restaurants on military bases and the Starbucks at CIA headquarters. But what about on Star Fortresses? Civilian employees there are still feasible even though living in space requires more resource limitations.

What about the Warm and Sweet or KPC aboard a starship? The YSS Teisenjou, YSS Densetsu, and YSS Battle of Elysia (to name a handful I can find) all feature commercial restaurant locations for their crews to eat at and get a taste of home. Are these staffed by Star Army cooks and caretakers who follow the business' food standards to maintain uniformity so they can deliver their trademark taste? Or are civilians also brought along into deep space?

Solution
According to the wiki for Warm and Sweet:
In the Star Army of Yamatai, Warm and Sweet was adopted at all major facilities to add a touch of home and civilian life to ships spent months or years away from home due to the Second Mishhuvurthyar War or other missions. In civilian settings, Warm and Sweet coffeehouses employ civilians. On military bases and starships they are usually manned by dedicated Star Army Caretakers, Star Army Cooks, or robots like the Service Android, Type 36A "Emma".
I think that the Star Army prefers to man restaurants with Star Army personnel or robots as in the case above. However, Star Army ships have been known to carry civilians (subject to security clearance)...
According to the wiki for Warm and Sweet:
In the Star Army of Yamatai, Warm and Sweet was adopted at all major facilities to add a touch of home and civilian life to ships spent months or years away from home due to the Second Mishhuvurthyar War or other missions. In civilian settings, Warm and Sweet coffeehouses employ civilians. On military bases and starships they are usually manned by dedicated Star Army Caretakers, Star Army Cooks, or robots like the Service Android, Type 36A "Emma".
I think that the Star Army prefers to man restaurants with Star Army personnel or robots as in the case above. However, Star Army ships have been known to carry civilians (subject to security clearance). Basically if the Star Army assignment is considered safe enough for families, it's considered safe enough for civilian workers, so there may be civilians on Star Army Star Fortresses, major bases, and ships the size of star fortresses like the Izanagis, but generally not on small ships like the Fuji-class, and they're going to be evacuated prior to battle operations if possible.

Does that make sense to everyone?

Solution
Yeah, that's sort of the clarification I was looking for!

The question was inspired by seeing a video about how some big USN ships have pretty sizeable supermarkets and shops within them, which are staffed by sailors, and then thinking about how that's not universal to every navy on the planet (most of which likely lack shops on their warships). Was just wondering how it was done in the Star Army.

Yugumo employees that man Yugumo Corporation ventures on Star Army ships and bases are generally vetted civilians. They technically get vetted twice - Once by the Yugumo Workers Federation, and then by the Star Army.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back