• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Corporate Relations Conference] Meet and Greet

Harsia and Ernan sat quietly, waiting for others to speak first. The Pan-Union Trading Company maintained a paramilitary wing that could easily enough switch to foreign standards. However, this was a matter for the aliens to decide first.

The key for the Milaros Wing would be integration of logistics with foreign contingents. Otherwise, it would be pointless to switch. If none of them could agree to it, then the Company would not need to make a decision. But if there was enough backing to see the initiative carried, then the Company would need to be part of it.

"Yes, that hybrid round is very well designed," Karl replied sincerely, though hastily. "Easy to manufacturer, if you had the right type of manufacturing facility. But how would you fire such a round if a rifle has no...what is that term--'firing pin'?" the elder Abwehran asked before leaning his behind upon the Abwehran table.

"Apparently, the majority of this room is more than ready to accept your plan of standardized munitions. But what about the ones who aren't even involved in your war?" Karl asked and while he didn't voice it aloud, it was plainly obvious that he meant his people. "Do we honestly need to comply with your standards? Our thirteen milimeter rounds seemed to be larger than the majority of ammunition used by the other companies and it's already standard for the majority of Abwehran personnel weaponry. The 10mm pistol rounds would be easy to convert, since it's just slapping on that confounded explosive to the ass-end of it. But for us to get any benefit from these 'hybrid' rounds, we'd have to modify the barrels, firing mechanisms, and magazines of all our weapons. Void, we practically have to design new weapons when we've just produced two new standard issue weapons and a specialized weapon this past quarter!"

"It would boost your sales quite a bit," Detlev muttered in Abwehran before getting a glare from his female counterpart.

The room had gone silent for some time, causing the lowly Paragon representative to glance at the other parties involved. "So was that it?" was all he could muster.

I would think the benefits of the first universal standard round would be very apparent after this discussion. You do not have to adopt it, but NAM will be producing conversion kits for weapon systems used by the Nepleslian Military.” Drei explained. “It is common for weapons to have multiple versions that fire different ammo types and I am sure the foot soldier would appreciate being able to choose between what they are used to and what is being presented as an improvement.

I also think you have brought up a valid point about a firing pin. NAM weapons typically use an electric firing system to fire the round however there are those that prefer the reliability of a mechanical system. A firing pin could easily be added to the base of round that would burn away along with the rest of the propellant when fired, leaving nothing to eject. This will certainly be included in the final design.”

Drei would then pause for a moment,

“I do believe that this covers everything that NAM wanted. Our collection of standard ammo types should be compete. Though you do not have to use them, I would think that our continually improving ammo quality and acceptance will persuade you that this is the right course of action.”

So they had already made a decision. Then what was the point of bringing us here if the decision was already made? A mere announcement? Harsia thought bitterly. It was a wasted trip for a useless venture. Being in the presence of Yamataian royalty had been a bonus but so far, nothing else business related presented itself.

"Hey, if we're done here, I want to speak to the Origin and Paragon reps about their hardware. If what I hear about them is on the ball, I might have a couple projects they'd be interested in co-developing. We know enough about the NAM hardware but our dear friends in the government haven't told us a thing about the Yamataian stuff. Go speak to your friend, the Premier about the basics and get us a trial package and a technical advisor. I want to know how their stuff works and if we can incorporate it into the next generation of tech." Director Ernan spoke so softly and quickly that Harsia barely caught it all. She promptly took the Shadows with her.

That left Harsia with the job of approaching the former Empress. The woman's bodyguards were not terribly daunting in appearance, though the long blades certainly seemed to be superior quality. It was the sense of ... regal gravity that Harsia felt she exuded which was unnerved him. There was no such respect for any of the Gartagen government from Harsia so even should he meet the foremost leaders, he'd still feel comfortable. But she was alien. Her family commanded power a hundred thousand times greater than anything the entire Gartagen Union possessed. Wrapping his head around the magnitude of such authority boggled Harsia still, even after months to get used to the fact.

--------------------

Director Ernan made her way to the table where the Origin representatives sat. "I believe your customs hold that I must request permission to join your table. May I?" she asked politely in the best Nepleslian she could manage. The wretched alien language still annoyed her and learning even a fraction of their culture was herculean. She'd have to speak to President Palmatar about getting a small diplomatic section for the company once they got back.

"Rather than going backwards we should move forwards," the Yamataian Premier said, "We should move towards more energy weapons, using standard batteries, and towards coil guns that can accept solid slugs. This would eliminate the danger of ammunition cookoff, allow for greater ammunition stored per vehicle, and ease the ammunition-making process, at the cost of more expensive cannons. Since we are in a war, the ammo savings will pay for themselves. We should additionally look into standards for power-armor-fired missiles."

Yuumi looked to the Gartagen that approached her. "Hello."

Hello? In this alien language... Hello was an informal greeting so formality could be dropped? Or was it alright for the royalty to be informal whilst others must remain formal? Oh, who cared? He was Gartagen, they were alien, he could make mistakes with their customs as just they could with his.

"Hello, miss. I do not desire to interrupt you, if you were not done speaking," Harsia said, looking around and realizing the slightly awkward position he was in.

"I am finished for now. What is it you need?" Yuumi asked the shy Gartagen.

"Well, as military representative from the Pan-Union Trading Company, I would like to make a buy. No, not the right word... Some infantry weapons to test and a military technician to teach us how it works. Unlike our government," he said the last word with a human-like sneer, "we do not have access to military information of other nations. So, to make up, we would like to trial some of your platforms. No exo-frames, just infantry weapons. Is it possible to get an idea of what you have for sale and price estimate? Also, may I sit or will someone remove my head from my neck?" Harsia made the joke in slight jest, he really was a little worried by the rather sharp looking swords.

"Well, you need permission for a table generally, but the bar is open to anyone." The black-haired, green eyed Aerin responded to the Gartagen, smiling at her, making a friendly gesture toward the seat next to her.

"May I know the customs for your culture?" Aerin inquired, politely trying to keep the conversation going.

Ernan nodded her head, indicating thanks and took the seat. "Kisha Ernan, Director level, Head of Research and Development for the Pan-Union Trading Company. The culture is different from region to region but where I am from, one just sits at the table of choice and converses with its occupants. This is for public tables, like at schools or dining halls. In-home or private events may have a seating arrangement or other specific rules imposed by the host.

"If you do not like the people present, you do not sit there in the first place. Or so we are taught. Why should one need permission to sit at a public table?" Ernan enjoyed this. These aliens were pleasant. Doubtless, if Harsia were speaking to them, he'd be rude and arrogant like he always was. Speaking to Yamatai royalty should suit him.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back