• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

CSEIA Tactical Neuton Flux Warhead -- Mother's Breath

Strangelove

Inactive Member
"Do you have any idea how shattering it is to one's state of mind...To walk among the ruins of a city, ghostly silent save for the cries of lost souls? Have you ever looked into the eyes of a crying child and told her she was already dead, murdered by your creation? That fact that we didn't hesitate to continue the project casts serious doubt on our collective sanity."

-- Dabih Rasalas, "Mother's Breath" Research Team, CSEIA
Reconnaissance notes after pirate colony bombardment
CSEIA Tactical Neuton Flux Warhead -- "Mother's Breath"
Neutron weapons are a variation of standard fusion technology. Rather than being built to release thermal energy, they instead release their energy in the form of neutron radiation. Since neutrons do no carry a charge, they cannot be deflected by electric or magnetic fields, allowing them to pass through many types of energy shielding.

The neutron flux caused by the bomb has two military applications, the first being biological tissue damage. Those unprotected within close proximity of the blast will be instantaneously and permanently incapacitated. At medium to long ranges, unprotected soldiers will receive a lethal dose but may experience temporary recovery for up to a month before they die. Hence the term, 'walking dead.' Recovery is possible if intense medical care is readily available, but otherwise is unlikely due to the widespread genetic damage.

The second major application is against armored vehicles. The neutron flux can disrupt electronic systems as well as cause many metals to develop a lethal level of radioactivity for up to 24 hours. Since the neutron flux disrupts the electrical systems and kills the pilot, one possible application of neutron weapons could be the disabling and capturing of enemy armored units.

While neutron weapons create high concentrations of neutron radiation, they produce little in terms of fallout. An area will usually return to non-lethal radiation levels within hours of the initial blast.

Variants
"Mother's Breath" -- Tactical warhead used in artillery shells and rockets, each with a 1.5 kT yield. Armored targets without radiation shielding receive a immediate and permanent incapacitation dose at up to 1 km. LD 90/30 (90% fatality in 30 days) at up to 1.5km. For unprotected infantry these numbers are 1.4km and 1.9km, respectively.

"Mother's Kiss" -- Strategic missile designed for orbital bombardment. Contains multiple independently targetable warheads for greater effectiveness versus anti-missile defenses. Each missile contains 10 'Mother's Breath' warheads.

OOC:
I'm not sure what sort of natural radiation resistance that advanced alloys and mecha have in SA. I'm sure at least space armors have some resistance to protect against background radiation, but I wasn't sure how much. Since I uncertain, the above numbers are more along the lines of modern armored vehicles. The infantry numbers are rough estimates of those with standard humanoid metabolisms and resistance, so the numbers may vary for ID-SOL, Nekovalkyrja, and other enhanced races.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back