• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Custom Races Allowed?

D_Ghn_1989

Inactive Member
Is it possible to play as a custom race, and side with Yamatai or the other faction (I cannot remember the other factions name to save my life!)

I'm still new here, and learning the ropes a bit. =/ I start college tomorrow, so it'll take me a while to get around.

Creating a new race is a huge amount of work and is not recommended for new players, but you can try if you like. Here's the rules: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ra ... sion_rules

The main one is they can't be "human but not" which is aliens that look and act basically like humans (think most aliens from Star Trek).

If you really need to make a new faction, consider making them human colonists that have been out of touch with the main factions for a few hundred years, giving them time to evolve their own culture.

I recommend trying out the existing races first though.

Dang, wes got here first.

You'd need to make an article on the wiki and then get it approved, I don't suggest it for newbies.

There's plenty of races/clades/species that are active and have a lot of diversity, why not take a look at them first?

Making a new race is a huge amount of work, especially if you want your faction to read as more than a series of tech articles. Not just writing, but research takes up so much time that you can literally just spend days going through wikipedia just for one or two ideas.

But basically, you can trace the reasons why custom races aren't really ever used in this setting to three things.

First, that new races must be submitted in the new setting elements forum and added to canon.

Second, that making a race in the first place is an extremely daunting task that requires love, effort and dedication on the part of the Faction Manager.

And finally, we have an unfortunate situation of players eventually leaving the site due to whatever IRL issue comes up in their lives, with their now-orphaned races left behind to rot. It's rare that the mantles are picked up unless you were able to establish a dedicated playerbase.

Wes said:
Creating a new race is a huge amount of work and is not recommended for new players, but you can try if you like. Here's the rules: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ra ... sion_rules

The main one is they can't be "human but not" which is aliens that look and act basically like humans (think most aliens from Star Trek).

If you really need to make a new faction, consider making them human colonists that have been out of touch with the main factions for a few hundred years, giving them time to evolve their own culture.

I recommend trying out the existing races first though.

Is it possible they cannot look human? Or do they need to look human? I'm not wanting to make the race right away, since I will be going to and from college (on a daily basis), but I'd like to know the basic grounds before I start. =3

I wouldn't worry about it right away, considering submissions like my Aeonic haven't been given much on careful examination or criticism, and it's been there for months, it's not even a PC race. Though I guess it doesn't help it also trying to be a faction...

There is the possibility of creating a sub race for a faction, though I'm not sure what the rules are on that. Ya know like Kohan working in Nepleslian army kind of thing.

As for what they look like, I based the Aeonic on the fact roleplayers are human and thus need something humanoid to play as or heck can relate to, so I made humanoid ants, but much of what they look like and biology is much different than a human's. Hope that helps you.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back