• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Daisy Armament: Tactical Directional Plasma System

Nyton

Tactical Directional Plasma System

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpose: Anti-Mecha
Damage: Moderate to Heavy. Plasma is moderately effective against shields and will at the very least ablate enemy armor if not melt it. Damage to unshielded and unarmored targets is extreme.
Range: 2.5 kilometers in atmosphere. 2,500 kilometers in space.
Rate of Fire: Varies
Payload: Effectively unlimited when properly attached to the Power Armor. Does not recharge when not attached to the power armor.

In order to augment the Daisy M6 Infantry Armor the TDPS gives the user further flexibility in weapons deployment. Similair to the highly effective plasma system seen on the PHALANX, this system seeks to improve on the greatest strength of that device.

By replacing the forearm guns of the Daisy with a plasma generation and directional device the Armor can fire off plasma streams from the emitter located on the palm of it's hands. The power of the plasma emitted is no stronger than the shots fired off from regular plasma rifles however the directional device makes it a more versatile weapon than a mere rifle.

While using the magnetic principles from the previous system, more emphasis has been given to refine the stream. Users will be able to generate and control several streams that can attack all at once. The user can also create and shape weapons made of intense 'solid' plasma. The plasma is kept in check by pressurizing it within itself so that instead of exploding upon contact it will just burn off at the edges. That which is burned off is immediately replaced by more plasma generated from within.

The AIES link with the onboard computer systems lets it target and track multiple targets with the plasma streams much like it would a regular fire and forget system. This feature allows the user to focus on evasion of the enemy without having to aim a weapon. Instead the plasma emitters simply launch streams of plasma out at attackers. Furthermore these streams can be directed to go around corners and obstacles rather than through them. The size of the stream can be varied from pin point to several feet in diameter. The larger the stream the more time and energy required. The system can also fire regular plasma 'bullets' like a regular plasma rifle. The applications are limited only by the users imagination and skill or control.

In order to take full advantage of this system and give it the necessary power required without reducing it's defensive systems, a second capacitor system must be mounted in the shoulder slot.

Designed by Nyton Claymere, based on his experiences with the PHALANX. Wishing to not let a potent weapon system be discarded he sought to find a way to incorporate it into the Daisy.

It seems iffy and overpowered to me.

I could reduce the effective range of the streams, make the controls work a little harder the farther out it goes. Effective range of bullets would be about the same. Maybe tax the power capacitor so that if the dedicated one is knocked out the system will be either crippled or disabled.

I'm gonna have to agree with Wes on this one. Even with those two additions, you still have a wicked powerful weapon that can pretty much home in and pump plasma death on just about anything, and then a couple dozen times over. The what looks to be relatively small control needed to operate it coupled with the sheer amount of power it has make it pretty OP in my eyes. I'd really prefer that you just went with a regular Phalanx assembly.

That's part of the problem ... the original PHALANX assembly, under newer rules, is overpowered too.

There's also the problem of powering the units — you'd have to take away the thruster pack and basically put on a generator, which needs to be developed for this too.

I'd argue that the Daisy's gauntlet section isn't large or bulky enough to generate plasma in the palm of the 'hand'. (then again, you know I'm perfectly happy with the way the Daisy is now and don't really want it to be 'more' capable or powerful)

Perhaps redirect your submission Blas? What you want is close range striking power - the Daisy already has a plasma rifle after all. Why not try to get the Mindy's forearm weapon but only in beam sword mode to solve that?

Well, the Phalanx's plasma projection system was designed to be used primarily at close range -- especially in an atmosphere -- just over the length of a football field.

I don't really see how it's OP in that aspect.

I don't believe any of us said it was. We were talking about this submission, and how it's able to pretty much give you plasmakinesis over a whole lot of super-heated gas that can burn a hole in a starship hull.

I mean -- this device operating on the scale it's written at would make it the most likely candidate for immediately getting shot by anyone with sensors because of all the electromagnetic radiation being pumped out because of the magnetic fields necessary to control all of that plasma.

Let it come into practice -- any users of it would get killed from afar as soon as they started chucking plasma.

Have to admit, I hadn't thought about sensors and the radiation signatures being emitted by this weapon. Sizing issues are already a problem so shielding is out. Then again this weapon isn't really much of stealth weapon. Besides the plasma stream versatility, the bullets are only as powerful as regular plasma bullets. I didn't think the weapon could shoot through ship hulls though. Well maybe if it concentrated on one spot uninterrupted for a while.

And Jake mentioned this would need its own power system beyond just an extra capacitor. Not sure what the limits are in terms of measurement but I can dig that. Developing a whole new power supply on top of another system just kind of goes against what I had in mind. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to pack this all in tighter. I could try to 'micronize' things and make it more compact but well, even my suspension of belief can't handle this one.

I miss the PHALANX.

"Winter" power armor could be made available, well, tends to apply more to personnel in the 5th XF. If you are really hard-up for a plasma weapon, I'd suggest taking a look-see at some Lorath technology.

Its not so much the plasma as the weapon application itself that I'm after. I figured I could pursue this venue since it was an accepted weapon that existed and was in prior use. If there was another energy source or perhaps maybe even a means of solid projectile manipulation I would be open to that.

For now though it looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

How does this fit in the palms?

I imagine the plasma conduits being the thickness of a thumb or finger.

How the hell do you get it to go around corners? If anything, your shield systems are going to make it splash against them and burn your own armor if you try using them.

Magnetics can only repel and attract, not accurately control unless there are axis about the point where the plasma turns to direct it's motion.

And the system should be at least the size of a tennis ball for the heating system alone. And where does the fuel go? It should be quite large: Plasma needs fuel. When it runs out, it's a dead-weight.

We can't make one of those out in deep space, Doc. We're stuck with either making something up ourselves.

So negotiate for a production license and manufacturing equipment.
Lor is happy to sell it for a decent price and Yamatai has silly amounts of money to spare.

Hell, you could ask for a special version, just for the cats.

So you know, Osaka:

Miharu's more or less cut off from everyone and everything. So we're stuck with souping things up by ourselves.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back