• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission [DATASS signees nations] Versatile Casimir Holographic Fusion Engine

OsakanOne

Retired Member
Submission Type: Equipment Portable fusion reactor
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lazarus:vchfe

Faction: datass signees, lazarus consortium
FM Approved Yet? yep, got a chuckle because its based in some VERY VERRRY hard science.
Faction requires art? nope

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yamatai doesn't work with Lazarus.

Its available to DATASS signees. You don't have to be using it, its just on the table.

All things considered, Aiesu would seriously consider coming clean in return for legal protection and a chance to shake Hanako's hand in person.

She's one of the bigger players within the Consortium and a straw on a camel's back.

This isn't hard science. It's theorized science that has yet to be exploited or even really explored.

Your explanation about five-dimensional brane-space leads me down a hell of a lot of theory that isn't proved in the least. You talk about "Aura" at one point without any links or reference at all.

And about those links -- how on Earth or anywhere else is this useful to a player? Most of it is theory or highly dense explanations that do not lend any aid to the player as to how or where to use this. Your explanations at the top and bottom help, but then you pack it with dense scientific theory that doesn't help anyone.

As well, even if this is an alternative technology, it isn't one that's necessary or useful to the setting beyond what we have already.

Rejected.

Salty. Will re-write and try again.

As for why its helpful, its a very compact safe fusion system that slowly peters out over time. Aura is rediculous levels of overkill for things like the logistical vehicles I'm writing like the Rook and LCOV and flat out unnecessary (The SARP desperately needs vessels that serve logistical and functional purposes in the civilian and industrial sectors, as Wes has stated and that's very specifically what this is for).

For example; If you travel for two years into a system and back in an environment where aether doesn't work and you want to power equipment that frankly needs a lot of energy to stop a pair of neutron stars from cooking your hull using clever electrical trickery and engineering, you're going to need fusion because fission lacks the energy density for a two year round trip and the friction of nebulous gasses against the hull will create static charges that would fuck you over in the first place, requiring the specially designed hull to begin with.

As for 5 dimensional space, the setting is utterly dependent on it for travel independent of time dilation caused by relativity: All spacial nesting and FTL is built on that theory. You can't pick and choose where and how that works.

This is just a way of making microscopic 5 dimensional space and overlapping it instead of trying to shove an entire ship through it, which seems far more reasonable than pushing an object weighing upward of 2000 tons that's full of people and the size of a city block through one that isn't even maintained via an external projection system, that has to carry its projection system AS it travels (newton's 2nd & 3rd laws weep).

>As well, even if this is an alternative technology, it isn't one that's necessary or useful to the setting beyond what we have already.

Fusion is dependent on deuterium. That means mining the moon. This is dependent on muons, which means finding muon sources is the new fuel. We have a source of muons, the Aura. So this is ideal for smaller vessels like shuttles attached to a bigger mothership using the Aura. This is trading one energy debt for another and creating a link of refuellable interdependence to influence stories instead of pretending we have an infinite source of deuterium while curiously having almost no gas-mining vehicles (given the most efficient way of getting deuterium is diving into gas giants).

Logistics creates conflict and problems. Conflict and problems are constraints. Constraints remove solutions to problems in story and that pressure of problems vs constraints in search of a desired outcome is the backbone of a good story.

This is no more theoretically dense than other fusion articles, there's just more "of" it. There's also no template. Now I know what you want, I can actually start making those changes.

A flat rejection just means expect another submission in a few days, revised with your feedback given. We could have been constructive and instead, I'll have to be redundant. Thank-you for your words though, they are very helpful. I appreciate your time.

Sorry about my tone, I've just woken up with three hours of sleep.

My dog thinks the garbage men are trying to break into our home and must protect me with piercing shrills to indicate the invaders are near.

Last edited:
If I wanted to see a revised submission in several days, I would have left edits. I rejected it outright because the concept was not one simply made for edits.

My constructive criticism for you is, "stop being so dense with the writing," "take a hint" and "don't test me."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back