Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission Decontamination & Quarantine System

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Submission Type: Equipment (portable compartment)
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lorath:starship:compartments:decontamination

Faction: LSDF
FM Approved Yet? No (he'll show up and he's wanted this for a while)
Faction requires art? Nope

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: A nice and simple submission intended for the Val'ta

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
1. Where does the powdered waste and eliminated enema liquid go?

2. How is the head screened for contaminants? Especially considering the hair, eyes, etc.

3. This sounds like a terrible thing to go through, but it also doesn't seem highly effective. How is it eliminating free radicals? How is it cleansing viruses and such?

I'd like to suggest a compromise.

I'd still like to have these systems on a ship like the Val'ta, but we need to have a less invasive option. What you're suggesting (which I know the influence of thanks to a Jim-shaped bird) is a human sandblasting. Are the facilities capable of a less invasive set of procedures if the threat is not severe? The life support systems should be capable of dealing with suppressing benign things.

By all means, we should have an intensive process in case of the worst, but we need this system to be able to deal with less severe problems too.

I would also like to point out that the suit that soldiers will be wearing is much more durable than the actual soldier, as such you'd probably do better at decontaminating them if you kept the suit on them (since you could subject it to much more hostile conditions that would more likely remove carried pathogens) instead of throwing away a powered suit every time they come back from a mission.

1. The enema is now optional
  2. Hair is treated in the liquid solution bath
  3. Enema liquid is incinerated and packaged but can be preserved for study.
  4. The head is screened using the liquid system and resulting intraveinous liquid application.
  5. Yes, its terrible but so worth it.
  6. Free radials are dealt with using targetted anti-oxidants.
  7. Viruses are detected during the quarantine segment, taking several hours to examine a multitude of blood samples. Most of the time is taken up by CPU overhead which is basically simulating the behavior of anything its unfamiliar with.

If you were to write something better, what would you do?

Decontamination systems have the problem of trying to skirt the fine line between killing contaminants without killing their host.

That's much much much harder than the handwavium of scifi would like for it to be.

You can't just step into a room, be sprayed and be 100% clear of contaminants. Reality doesn't work that way.

We're not reality. A handy convenience at times.

I'm not saying this can't be approved. Add those pieces you typed out and we're good. Doesn't make it less terrible-sounding, but that's OK.

In all seriousness, the best decontamination equipment is an ST transfer. Anything else is just cheesetech. Tech that's cheesy generally lowers a player's sense of immersion or belief.

Having stakes is what creates problems. Roleplay is creating problems for players to solve that entertain them.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back