• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated [DEFEATED] Proposal 91 - Cultural Preservation Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Proposal 91: Cultural Preservation Act

Purpose:

1) The cultural differences among the citizens of Yamatai are varied and intricate. Steps should be taken to preserve the cultural identity of these communities.

Proposal:

2) Allow prefectures to declare customs 'culturally significant' and offer members of their respective communities freedom from discrimination on these grounds.

3) Allow prefectures to declare specific areas as 'culturally significant' and allow them to protect them and regulate tourism in these areas.

Re: Proposal 91 - Cultural Preservation Act

Denied.

Uniformity, duty and obeisance are the primary strengths of the Empire in this era, as all hands work to the unified goal of destroying the NMX threat once and for all. All citizens are fundamentally equal under the law and no group should receive special treatment on these grounds, especially not those who do not fight in the war or cling to aging body types that stress out infrastructure. Whiny civilians should know their place, upgrade to the newest body as mandated to keep our medical protocols simple and uniform, and not drain the resources of our mighty empire for 'cultural reasons'.

The cultural institutions of the Nekovalkryja are the only ones that should matter, given that we constantly throw our lives away a thousand times each to keep your insignificant social institutions from being painted over in your own blood. ANY exceptions will open the gates to weak points that our enemies will be able to exploit.

-Ueda Chikako

While I am not opposed to this proposal on the surface, I would like a bit more detail to the declaration process.

Before a 'culturally significant' designation is granted, it must be documented showing the origin of the custom, etc.

I would also like an Agency to have the responsibility to review a request and render a ruling.

I support preserving a culturally significant custom or place, but we do not want frivolous claims submitted to dilute the purpose of this proposal.

Bordolf, Gunther - Colonial Governor Daichi

Who decides what is significant, and would this allow people to circumvent laws? If the purpose of this law is to create legal loopholes, I do not think it should be passed due to the inherent unfairness and huge potential for corruption and abuse.

I second the idea of an Imperial-level agency charged with reviewing claims and evidence.

As well, we must seek to have a bit more clarification on the level of freedom granted from discrimination.

Many cultures on Yamatai already flourish without this law, including those in Malifar, Winstonville, Vela, Xiuluria and Ralt. What would this law gain us?

That said, the third line of the bill I wholeheartedly support. Prefectures, in conjunction with municipalities, know their tourism dollars better than the Imperial government.

— Wakarumura Yoshiro, Senator, Yamatai

I vote NO on this proposal due to lack of a response to address our concerns, and also MOTION TO CLOSE since the bill has been sitting in limbo for 2 months.

"Seconded, let's end this in a manner to where it can be brought up again," Hamatsuki said with a small nod.

This proposal has FAILED.

Ending votes 2 against, 1 for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back