• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Detachable Outer Containers (DOCs)

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff

I know, it looks very Kotori. What can I say? I'm a thief.

Yes, I'm designing a freighter. But I figure, if this doesn't make the cut, might as well scrap the current freighter for another one. It's not as simple as it could be, but David (Itkatsu Kiyoko) said "A big metal box with cool temperature controls" was too easy.

What space vessels would be compatable with these units other than the freighter that was in development?

I ask mainly because these units would be ideal for use on many Star Army and Lorath vessels that require additional cargo space due to specific mission requirements. Additionaly, these containers would prove useful as emergency escape pods.

Shame they don't have thrusters or a gravity control unit to allow for manuvering if ejected from the vessel they are attached to.

Otherwise, these containers are a very clever bit of work. I like e'm.

Basically, any freighter that has the rails installed. The system itself is basic as hell -- think truck containers. Vesper pointed out that if you use them, however, you'd need at least two, so they remain on the line of thrust a ship has. So if you have one on the bottom, you need one on top. If you have one on the left, you need one on the right.

These Star Army grade ones wouldn't be sold to civilians, of course. But you get the idea. Essentially, attach boxes to starships. It's not new -- Sakuras and Nozomis theoretically could haul these things. But the freighter I'm designing uses a better method to secure them.

Technically you would only need one with KFY ships, the combined field system dosen't use action/reaction thrust to propell the ship all the time. Alternitively you could place one on the front of the ship, or directly behind.

Well, correct placement could always come into play if the freighter has to travel at sub-light speed with it's auxiliary engines... but Uso Tasuki is correct : as long as it'd fit inside the CFS-created bubble, intertia isn't going to hinder the ship's carrying capacity or layout much.

Approved.

Uso Tasuki said:
Technically you would only need one with KFY ships, the combined field system dosen't use action/reaction thrust to propell the ship all the time. Alternitively you could place one on the front of the ship, or directly behind.

Ohhhh. Good point. Thank you, Zack and Fred.

This is why I'm a journalist., not a scientist.

I hope that the stats for first ships using these will be availible soon, I wouldn't mind creating a few ships that would use this tech on the civilian side(I still think there are much less civ. ships than I would like to see), but I would prefer to see someone elses implementation first.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…