Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Discussion proposed new Namespace - spaceport

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
While doing some work on my Faction, I started thinking about using a new namespace for any space port that I create.

At present we have over 60 items in locations, but to my way of thinking a space port is more than just a location. The majority of the locations we have are cities, parks, businesses, restaurants, etc. As we flesh out our worlds and cities, that name space is going to obvious keep growing. I like the idea of having a separate name space for space ports to make it easy to locate all the spaceports but just typing in the search box the namespace.

So, I would like to see what folks think about adding this to the site.

I am kind of worried about this leading to unlimited growth of location type namespaces. If we start putting locations like spaceports into special namespaces, won't that lead to more and more location-type namespaces like tavern: hotel: shop: park: museum: and others? Isn't it better to keep the various centralized instead of spread out over many namespaces? Perhaps if we allow a spaceport namespace, it should be location:spaceport.

Don't like using a double level name space. Currently there are a number of spaceports that I know of that are under starship:xxxx because they are space structures. But they are not really starships because they are pretty much fixed in place. spaceport: can be used for ones on the ground and in space and consolidates them. The majority of locations we have tend to be small specific items. Cities are the exception, they are sort of a super location because most of them have other locations in them.

I normally place orbital stations in the system they are located in and the planetary starports on planets (because of this, systems and planets normally have their own namespaces in my organization style).

I feel like since spaceports are a type of location, the spaceport namespace should be in it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back