• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Do Mishhu Need to Breathe?

Sigma

Inactive Member
I can find no reference to breathing requirements and noses. Lacking information, I am currently assuming no, these buggers are so scary, breathing is optional, and am waiting for someone more knowledgeable to confirm or deny this.

Hmm. Since there's no info on this I'm going to make a GM call:
  • Yes, they need to breath (eventually), but...
  • They can also go without air for over an hour in needed, and can operate in a full vacuum during that time.
  • They've got nostril looking things between their eyes, so maybe that's their "nose?"

Mishhu (and their forebears) are, at the very least, capable of breathing.

There was this old RP post I read - gone now - where Wes was describing how a character could feel the 'fetid breath' coming from the Mishhu's undermaw against her face.

Considering how the Ghost Mishhu (and forebears) are capable of phasing and travelling in that state for a long time, they likely could be kind of like whales and dolphins in that they are capable of apnea to an exceptional degree. If they make sound with their maw, it needs to involve the passage of air. Considering they also have ears-like formations in their shells, it's likely they have ear canals as well (therefore, somewhat tied to breathing as well).

Mishhu (and forebears) are definitely capable of surviving in vaccuum (pressure, lack of oxygen and radiation exposure) for some length of time. That's likely also tied to their ability to survive their phased-out states.

Here's an indication.

Mishhu have plot-lungs.

Meaning they can hold their breath pretty much as long as you, the GM, need them to have that breath held.

As far as player info goes, it's 'over an hour'. They're aliens (well, alien-altered, with the NMX) so some degree of uncertainty is certainly warranted.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back