• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Dr. Matthew Sibelius

Sibelius

Inactive Member
Name: Dr. Matthew Roger Sibelius

General Information
Species: Nepleslian

Family:
Father - Jacob Roger Sibelius (Deceased)
Mother - Molly Hannah Sibelius (nee O'Neill)(Deceased)

Faction: Star Army of Neplesia
Current Assignment: Pending

Physical Characteristics
Height: 6'1" / 185cm
Weight: 182 lbs / 83 kg

Build and Skin Color: Fit, but with growing paunch as he gets older. His skin tone is fair.
Eye Color: Brown.
Hair Color and style: Black and usually trimmed. The hair along his temples has begun to grey.

Distinguishing Features: None noticable.

Please see notes on cybernetic implants and enhancements for further physical characteristics below.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality: Dr. Sibelius stubbornly regards himself as a realist though many would argue he's cynical. He has a hard time accepting the outward motivations of others without suspecting self-serving and ulterior motives or, inversely, a result of a sheltered upbringing or lack of real world experience. An example is that he views Nepleslian succession as a play for more power and money on the part of the world leaders under the guise of patriotism. However, perhaps as a result of his own Nepleslian upbringing, he views the Yamatai Star Empire as being full of "mush-headed idealists" and inherently naive.

Despite his cyncism, Dr. Sibelius also has a deep respect for life. Though he wouldn't ever admit out loud, he values all forms of life and harbors a belief in the unalienable liberty of all sentient beings. While seemingly contrary to his cynical personality, Sibelius has seen people at their worse on his home world of Neplesila but his time spent with the Star Army of Yamatai and it's citizens does give him reassurance that things can improve.

Dr. Sibelius, while open with his opinions, is not quick to show the finer and more refined parts of his personality. His bedside manner is both genuinely compassionate and kind. He will vehemently defend the health and life of those under his care and command to the point of possible insubordination.

History
A native born Nepleslian and veteran of Funky City's streets, Matthew grew up in relative safety and comfort thanks to his father, an accomplished engineer with a construction firm, and his mother, a well-known sculptress. Because of his more sheltered upbringing, Matthew was able to avoid the pitfalls of the inherent corruption and rampant crime in Funky City and was able to pursue his dreams of becoming a doctor. He decided on this course after he lost his vision after an accident with arc welding equipment that also claimed the life of his father. His eyes were replaced with working cybernetic replacements.

Shortly after his 22nd birthday and graduation from university (YE 14), Matthew enlisted in the Star Army of Yamatai and qualified for medical training under the organization's school for medical officers. After graduation, Dr. Sibelius spent the first part of his career training under more experienced doctors and officers and assisting in the education of young recruits at Yamatai HQ. Recently, with the Neplesia succession from Yamatai, Dr. Sibelius has had to reluctantly resigned his commission and entered into the Star Army of Neplesia. He has requested assigment as chief medical officer on board a starship.

Skills

Communication: Dr. Sibelius is familiar with basic radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through headsets, starships, power armor, and shuttles in both combat and non-combat conditions. He is fluent in English and can speak and write both correctly and efficiently and can write reports, fill forms, issue orders under fire, etc.

Fighting: Dr. Sibelius received hand-to-hand combat training, followed up with a rigorous training program. He is skilled and experienced in combat both in Yamatai-like conditions and in zero-gravity, with and without weapons. Weapons he is trained in include energy pistols, knives, and power armor.

Technology Operation: Dr. Sibelius is capable of operating any computer system that uses the Kessaku OS, found on all Star Army starships. He is proficient in entering and/or searching for information.

Mathematics: Dr. Sibelius received basic mathematics training, to including up to algebra and trigonometry.

Knowledge: Dr. Sibelius is familiar with the laws of Yamatai and Neplesia and knows the history of both Yamatai and Neplesia.

Leadership: Due to his experience in the operating room and as a trained officer in the Star Army of Yamatai and now the Star Army of Neplesia, Dr. Sibelius is comfortable within a command structure and instructing others. He is also comfortable as a public speaker.

Medical: Dr. Sibelius, along with First Aid training as an Yamatai Medical officer, is also a skilled surgeon with knowledge of various pathologies, medicine, and cybernetic installation.

Cybernetics

Vision Enhancement and Ocular H.U.D.: Having lost his sight as a child, Dr. Sibelius lives with the fact his eyes are cybernetic replacements. Soon after joining the Star Army of Yamatai, his eyes were upgraded. Due to a reflective material that lines the back of his eyes, Dr. Sibelius has low light vision capabilty. Since his eyes can reflect light as well as take it in, he can see far better than a normal human could in low light conditions such as night time or in a shadowed hallway. This ability is comparable to the same low light vision many domestic animals, in particular the common cat, have.

However, this does not afford him vision beyond the scope of normal human range, only the ability to see better in low light conditions. In situations where there is no light, such as in an underground area with no ambient light, this ability is nulled since this abiltiy is dependent on an outside source of light.

His cybernetic eyes also have an Heads Up Display (H.U.D.) that is connected to his I.N.S.S.. Not only does it display the relevant information gathered from his I.N.S.S., but also as a reminder of his past patients' names and relevant notes he may add through an interface (a small node located in the corner of his left eye) should he meet them again. This is displayed as a small square profile of the patient with a read out of their name and notable medical information. This is automatically displayed once a past patient's face and profile are seen and only if Dr. Sibelius has uploaded the information through the interface. The H.U.D. can be willed to be on or off at any time.

I.N.S.S.: The Integumentary Nanomesh Sensory System was developed as a way to gather needed medical data from a person should normal medical equipment not be available or if a subject is unable to communicate. Originally meant for field medics, the I.N.S.S. is an extremely thin wire mesh made of nano-circuitry that coats itself along the nerves that enhances the already impressive sensitivity of the human touch. It allows an "on the spot" reading of the pusle rate, heart beat, body temperature and other vital readings of a subject's metabolism and health. In the case of Dr. Sibelius, this I.N.S.S. runs along the nerve endings of his right hand, up the neural pathways in his right arm and to his ocular nerves that allow him to actually "view" a person's vital statistics through his Ocular H.U.D.. Admittedly, this has proven useful only a few times as Dr. Sibelius is usually near any medical equipment he may need. Also, one of the draw backs of the the I.N.S.S. Dr. Sibelius has implanted is that it only has a guaranteed working time of four continous hours given that his Ocular H.U.D. drains much of the power of the cybernetic optics. On a related note, as he sleeps, his I.N.S.S. and Ocular H.U.D. recharges while not in use. The I.N.S.S. can be willed to be on or off at any time.

Cybernetic Knee Replacement: As result of a training mishap, Dr. Sibelius' right knee was severely injured. The knee cap along with some of the tendons were replaced with cybernetics. This is only a replacement and not an enhancement.

I don't have any problems with the bio, but the Star Army is about to disallow Nepleslians from serving in it.

I'm hoping that new policy will start a trend of the inverse - that is, Geshrin defecting to Neplesia.

Of course, that causes its own problems. :p

Thank you!

I still have a question concerning my rank. Given my character's age and experience, I want to make him a captain. I don't see it conflicting with anything and since he's a Medical officer, he's responsiblity will be around the Med Bay and not the actual command of the bridge.

I like the character, but, for now, I'll refer to the character as a medical officer and we'll place his rank somewhere during the ship's RP.

This means, of course, that in medical regards, the character is the top dog. Think Dr. Troy from Star Trek (everyone goes insane, he takes command of the ship). When he is administering first aid or emergency surgery to characters, the characters better listen to him, etc.

Of course, as you said, this command doesn't extend at all to the other operations of the ship, where he has little experience.

High rank is something that's traditionally been given to those who have proven themselves through quality RP. The increased responsibility of such a rank demands it. As you can see, most, if not all Taii+ ranks are effectively running their own plotships or have a major responsibility of some sort in the RP (whether it be through solid contributions, roleplay, etc).

Otherwise, great character. Welcome aboard!

Request character to be moved to archived bios section.

The character never participated in a plot.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back