• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Character Dr. Rasalas Al Na’ir

Strangelove

Inactive Member
General Information

Name: Dr. Rasalas Al Na'ir
(Formerly Tai Nakagawa)
Species: Modified Human

Family: Aiko Nakagawa, Mother, Disowned

Employer: None
(Formerly The Center for Scientific Enrichment and Information Acquisition)
Current Assignment: ...

Physical Characteristics

1167415618538.jpg

Height: 176 cm / 5 ft 9 in
Weight: 70kg / 154 lb

Build and Skin Color: Lean build and a somewhat tanned skin complexion.
Facial Features and Eye Color: Dark green eyes. No distinguishing marks or tattoos.
Hair color and Style: Short platinum hair always kept combed back.

Distinguishing Features: Rasalas always wears an ear piece connected to arm band, which acts as pseudo-implant and personal computer. It's used as an internal medical scanner and can be used to modify his nanoimmune system or induce slight mutations to his DNA. He also uses it to store backup copies of all his research data.

Psychological Characteristics

"My mother always said it was important to do what you love. I took her advice to heart. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a race to eradicate."

Personality: Rasalas, like the many graduates of CSEIA, has no sense of morality and will pursue his research no matter what the cost to others. As a wanted criminal, he tends to take it a step further than his former peers, going so far as to sacrifice entire crowds of people for his freedom. He can even be somewhat sadistic at times, going so far as enjoying watching his creations at work. Rasalas also has hints of a superiority complex from his years at CSEIA, believing that the uneducated, prejudiced masses often do not understand the work of great minds.

Rasalas, as an individual and not a scientist, is somewhat shy and conserved. Having spent the majority of his life as a lab rat and then on the run from authorities, Rasalas is used to isolation and solitude, causing him to be socially awkward around more outgoing and talkative people. Life hiding from authorities has taught him not to have any obvious habits or hobbies that might give him away through his disguises, so he devotes himself solely to his work whenever he has spare time.

Likes: Live Experimentation, Solitude, Quiet, Privacy, Infamy
Dislikes: Morals, Laws, Politics
Goals: To develop a pathogen capable of overcoming Nekovalkyrja nanoimmune systems or destroying Nodal systems. It remains to be seen whether he will use this technology to obtain a large fortune using blackmail, or use it increase his infamy by single-handedly crippling the Yamataian Empire.

History

"An investigator once asked me, just before I killed her, why I'm trying to best the Yamataian Empire. Was it to forever carve my name into history by single-handedly crippling such a powerful entity? Was it to amass a vast fortune by selling my pathogen to the Mishhu, or blackmailing the YSE? Was it out of hated or vengeance? Was it out of curiosity, to see if it was even possible? She died from the virus before I could answer her. Very convenient, because I wasn't sure what exactly I would have said at the time. But I knew she didn't understand.

"Our ancestors climbed mountains, knowing full well they were nothing more than rock and ice, simply because they were there. They reached toward the heavens in rockets because it was there. To this day we continue to expand and explore unknown space, despite the dangers, simply because its there.

"Well Yamatai is there. But I'm not going to climb it. I'm going to bring the peak down to me. Bring the mountain to it's knees. I'm going to defeat it. I'm going to start with the Nekovalkyrja. Then the Yamataians will go next. Then the Mishhuvurthyar. Then the Nepleslians. Then the Elysians.

"But do not mistake me for some narrow-minded zealot, or an insane madman. I've weighed my options, calculated my odds. I'm still a scientist after all. I've considered giving up this great task in order to cure diseases on foreign worlds, genetically engineer smarter and stronger races, perhaps even convert my retroviral research for use against the Mishhuvurthyar instead of the Nekovalkyrja, turning the tide of the war. But with the Rasalas Incident, I've shown the galaxy I'm a threat to power, an unpredictable one at that. Both the Nekovalkyrja and the Mishhuvuthyar will eventually seek to have me imprisoned or executed. Perhaps the Nepleslians too, or any other nation. It's only natural to fear power that cannot be controlled. Hence I have only one path before me. I've been backed into a corner.

"It's me against the civilized galaxy. And I don't intend to lose."

-- Personal Journals of Rasalas Al Na'air

The early life of Rasalas Al Na'ir, or Tai Nakagawa as he was known as back then, was a relatively uneventful one. He was raised on Yamatai by his mother, Aiko Nakagawa, who was also a doctor and geneticist, and most likely the inspiration for his future choice in career. Aspiring to become a doctor he studied at several Yamatai universities, showing promise in a number of medical fields. But it was at one of these universities he heard rumors of CSEIA and its boundless research programs, so he departed Yamatai in order to join the Center. Several years later he graduated from the Center with training in the fields of biochemistry, virology, genetics, immunology, and molecular biology. Like many of his peers, he was tempted into stay by lucrative research grants, open-minded community, and the highly advanced equipment available at CSEIA.

As time passed, his curiosity got the better of him and he began studying the darker sides of genetics. Gradually he began joining research projects delving deeper and deeper into ‘forbidden' technologies until eventually he became one of CSEIA's leading bioweapon engineers.

The most noteworthy of these projects was an attempt to create a pathogen capable of besting the so-called invulnerable nodal systems and Nekovalkyrja immune systems, both out of scientific curiosity and hopes of blackmailing the YSE. But after several years on the project and no major breakthroughs, CSEIA finally decided to cut funding to the program. But by that time Tai had put so much of his time and effort into the challenge of besting nanoimmune systems that it became a personal vendetta, an obsession even. But when he could not convince CSEIA that the project had made sufficient progress to deserve additional funding, he left the Center.

Tai began selling some pathogens he had created to various criminal organizations, both to test them on live subjects and to raise money for his own independent research. He continued these shady dealings until his lab was finally tracked down and by YSE authorities on a remote colony called Rasalas. Finding himself cornered, he released several pathogens and biochemical weapons at once into the colony, causing enough chaos and confusion to escape. The colony's population, however, was all but eradicated. The majority of the inhabitants were killed, and the remaining were transported off-world for medical treatment aboard starships. This became known as the ‘Rasalas Incident,' forever carving Tai's name into history.

After the incident Tai changed his body, using his knowledge in genetics, nanotech, and immunology to create a body that could withstand most of his own pathogens, in the event he should ever need to repeat the ‘Rasalas Incident' in order to escape authorities. Due to its selective immune system it is also much more susceptible to genetic mutation than most humanoids, allowing minor cosmetic appearances on the fly for the purposes of disguising. He also changed his name, creating the infamous alias known as Rasalas Al Na'ir. The latter name, Al Na'ir, means ‘The Bright One,' a testament to his belief that only his brilliance can conquer the supposedly invulnerable Nodal systems and the nanoimmune system of the Nekovalkyrja.

Rasalas still continues his black market arms dealing in an attempt to one day complete his research. However, his reputation and ambitions eventually attracted the attention of YSE's enemies, who are greatly interested in a weapon that could be used against their adversaries. Rasalas has repeatedly turned down their offers (and occasional threats), believing that they will merely steal his infamy, something he is actually quite proud of. For this reason he is also sought after by many political enemies of the YSE, further fueling his paranoia and isolated nature.

Skills

Biology (Virology, Biochemistry, Immunology, etc): Rasalas has studied the intertwined fields of genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Having spent several years attempting to design a pathogen capable of overcoming Nekovalkyrja immunity, he is naturally an expert at designing biological weapons and has extensive experience in the fields of retroviral engineering and nanotech-based immune systems.

Medical and Science (Medical Training): Rasalas' medical training he received early in life set the foundation for his future in biotechnology. He possesses an adept enough understanding of humanoid biology to put him on par with most physicians.

Technology Operation (Operation of Scanning, Science, Cloning, and Medical Equipment):
Rasalas' experience at running simulations on the station's supercomputers and his training in operating medical technology has granted him the ability to operate a wide array of scanner and computer systems.

Physical (Active Nanoimmunity): Rasalas possesses a modified nanoimmune system. Unlike traditional Nekovalkyrja or Yamataian immune systems, this modified system requires the manual input (via implant) of detailed information on a pathogen before it is effectively able to fight it. The practical upshot of this system is immunity against most pathogens of his own design. This allows him to safely release pathogens into the air in order to stall pursuers, or when in a public area, to cause enough chaos to escape a situation.

Rogue (Elusive): The programmable nature of Rasalas' Active Immunity allows him to disable his immune system against certain threats, making him much more susceptible to genetic mutation when he so chooses. This allows him to make minor changes to his DNA, and therefore appearance, without the use of specialized facilities. This ability, coupled with his years of experience avoiding his pursuers, has made him extremely difficult to track down.

Notes

Ugh, long history finally done. That's definitely earned me a snack break.

Rasalas was made because... Well frankly, SARP doesn't have enough mad scientists. Any sci-fi realm needs it's brilliant and misguided geniuses! My first character, Leutre, was quite spiritual and a religious zealot of sorts, so I thought I'd try the polar opposite with my second character, and made him a ruthless intellectual. I might stick Rasalas in some CSEIA roleplay, or a pirate plotship as a doctor, or some other criminal RP. Haven't decided as of yet.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Not approved, due to history.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back