• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

DR Threshold Clarification

Sigma

Inactive Member
I believe I understand the basic concept of the threshold in the defensive DR. However, for clarity's sake, I'm going to get the in-depth explanations since the wiki is not very clear to me. So far, I've not taken it into account since a certain someone (not Uso) I did PA combat sims with said not to bother. But I find that bothering about it could in fact increase combat difficulty without throwing more enemies at my players.

For the purposes of having something concrete, I am going to use a Hostile as the basis for all questioning.

1) Does threshold only apply to shielding? If so, does armor have the same or different threshold rating. If not, why?

2) If I fired an ADR 2 or lesser weapon at a shielded Hostile, does the weapon do no damage to the shields? Or does damage dealt just lessened?

3) Similarly, if I fire an ADR 3, does that result in a less than full damage to the shield or does it result in full damage?

4) And if I fire an ADR 4 or greater, does that do full damage (i.e. taking down 4+ shield SP) or does it do 3 damage to the shields and the remainder damages armor?

5) Does a mech (PA or otherwise) have to lose shields before damage can be done to the armor?

I don't need exact number crunching, just an explanation to help me understand so I can translate that into approximates when doing damage to players and NMX.

Threshold mitigates the energy coming in.

Assuming in each of your scenario the aforementioned Hostile is untouched.

In your #1, the Mecha takes no damage, but the shields are reduced by 2 to 13

# 2, the shield always takes damage... see my answer above.

# 3, mecha still takes no damage but shield is reduced by 3 to 12.

#4, mecha takes 1 point of damage and the shield is reduced by 3 to 12.

#5 NO.

What Nash said. I've always related shields it to body armor: It's designed to protect the wearer but it can only withstand so much force from a single impact before the wearer takes damage, at the same time it can only take so many impacts (no matter the size) before it fails completely. Threshold simply defines the amount of force needed to bypass the shields and do damage to the ship.

If a DR2 weapons is used against a shield with a threshold of 1, the damage would exceed the threshold by one and one point of damage would go to the shield while the other would bypass the shield and be applied directly to the armor.

So an ADR 4 weapon used on the Hostile (shield threshold 3) would do 3 points of damage to the shield and one to the armor? ADR 5 would do 3 damage to the shields and 2 to the armor?

Also, I just realized, my #1 hasn't been answered properly. I don't understand Nashoba's answer solves my question about whether armor has a threshold rating. I think he answered a question twice.

Yes, you would be correct.

Also, to the best of my knowledge Threshold only applies to shields and does not apply to armor. Ex, if your hostile's shields are gone and I do 4ADR of damage, I would simply do 4 damage to the armor and no damage would be mitigated past the armor. However, I would like Wes' confirmation as I'm not 100% on this.

Remember folks DR isn't the law, its a rough guess as to the capabilities of weapon damage and of the ability of shields and armor to mitigate it. Just write and don't worry about the numbers.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back