• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Rejected Submission [DRv3] Missile Rules Addendum

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostJaeger

Banned Member
  • Submission Type: DRv3 Rules Addition
  • Submission URL: Linky
  • Faction: N/A
  • FM Approved Yet: I honestly have no idea what to put here.
  • Faction requires art: N/A
  • Contains unapproved sub-articles? Nope.
  • Contains new art? Nope.
  • Previously submitted? Nope.

So, I was going to write a massive rebuttal post to everything @Zack has been saying in his missile thread - but then it occurred to me:

Why not simply make my own?

Anyhoo, here's the result - and I apologize for the poor formatting; I'm really, really tired at the moment due to it being 1:25 AM at the time of writing this.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Then leave it up to the NTSE mods and don't put missiles in a box.
If you look at the other thread you'd see I blatantly said missiles don't really need a speed. I still believe that. I'm not advocating a speed limit. I'm explaining how it looks like the speed limit was intended to be used so it's judged fairly.

All valid points, despite their answers being blatantly obvious in my personal opinion; after all, an addition to something as important as the Damage Rating system should be made as idiot-proof as possible - hence I've added a section that specifically addresses these concerns.

Why did you pick the speeds that you did?

I multiplied the maximum sublight speeds available at each technological level to obtain the results I did and, upon looking them over, chose to keep them because it provides reasons for designers to use lighter armors in missile construction in order to obtain the speed bonuses they provide.

How will this affect missile use and how many rounds of shooting can you expect to get defensively?

Rounds? What is this, Dungeons & Dragons? Missile flight time has always been ultimately up to Game Master discretion, in my opinion - and it should be left that way, not be assigned some arbitrary value.

Do any of these missile speeds change how missiles will be used in the setting?

Though I'd appreciate if others besides myself voiced their opinions on this, I strongly doubt there will be any vast increases or decreases in missile usage because of these speeds.

How is Mach 10 "simply too slow" when the absolute fastest a starfighter can travel in an atmosphere is Mach 5?

Then leave it up to the NTSE mods and don't put missiles in a box.

Aren't missiles supposed to be launched from boxes?

IIRC a round of posting is about 10 seconds.

Ships can hit targets at 3 light seconds out.

It sounds like you'be given no thought to how missiles and ships would interact at these speeds. Could you say why the speeds you've chosen are the best choice? Or would increasing / decreasing the speeds have better results? Have you given consideration to what players will be able to do when faced with missiles that travel at these speeds?

I don't know how this keeps coming up, but it's not necessary for anything to reach escape velocity while it's still in atmosphere. It can leave atmosphere and then reach escape velocity.

Reactionless drives render top speed in atmosphere irrelevant for a ship or missile's space mission profile, so long as it doesn't get shot down on the way up.

'Rounds' are up to GM discretion I've been in Plots where a post covered a few seconds, and some where a combat post could cover almost half a minute.

Jeager has no obligation to answer your nitpick questions either as you failed to provide such level of detail in your own thread. If you're not going to answer such questions don't ask them of others.

GODDAMN can you all stop arguing.
I mean really. Frost has done a good job here, answered every question asked of him.

Alright... instead of a new ruleset dictacting performance I think we need a set of rules on details missile systems must provide for submission, naturally speed is at the forefront but tied in with its roll. My major issue with the speed limit in atmos is that it would reduce most of the weapons using kinetic kill as their primary method and target destruction useless against SARP tech.

Basically if your using kinetic (IE the weight of your missile and its velocity) as your primary method to kill a target mach 10 in one earth standard atmosphere isn't going to cut it.

And these sorts of 'you can only have from point x to point y' style rules and tiers don't really work with systems like missiles, they're to varied a system. Instead of dropping in a new set of hard rules I think we should go more toward guidelines with final interpretation and limitations up to the NTSE mods.

Boy, miss a morning and posts come fast and furious.

For the record, I'm a former mod. So far, we've had no actual mods speak here other than Ame, who is appealing straight to Wes. If they have a different opinion, they can wipe mine away without any hard feelings on my part.

• Zack proposed a lot of questions he wanted answered, in the name of solidifying rules for NTSE mods. I'll take him at his word for the sake of argument.
  • Frosty has proposed an answer for many of those questions, leaving out "size" as a concern.
  • Others have come in with their own opinions, questions and concerns.

That's the review.

Let's take a larger step back. We need to determine what problems we are actually trying to solve.

My take on it is this: We are creating a lot of work and rules that are not required. No one has fully expressed, in my view, WHY we are creating this work and these rules beyond making the lives of the NTSE mods supposedly easier.

We have no examples where combat has gone awry. We haven't even really touched on where we think combat might go astray from a responsible, capable GM — which is all we have. Whether it is Macross-style missilespams, well-placed proton torpedo shots or (heaven forbid) HOLY HAND-ROCKET blowing up a capship in one go, we don't have any evidence that there's a problem.

We've got v3 already calculating how single-shot projectile weapons factor into the tacked on "weapon capacity" rule. We don't fully have a handle on how smaller projectiles packed into launchers are supposed to be treated, but we can reasonably use repeating, being-portable arms as an example.

In that example, found in v3, we see that pistols and submachine guns fall into the same tier. Shot to shot, they roughly deliver the same amount of lethality. But we know that a submachine gun has the potential to kill more efficiently and effectively at the loss of concealability (and its associated subfeatures).

Launchers with small missiles seem able to be treated the same way when compared to larger brethren IF they are tacked at the same tier. With that in mind, I would thin the NTSE mods have all the guidance they need.

Yes, guidance. Not a rule or series of rules. They get to call those shots as they see them, hewing to the spirit of v3.

When it comes to the possibility of sodacan missiles wrecking a capship ... I think that is a moment where you especially should not have rules.

Counterintuitive? Perhaps, but v3 as written is implicitly permissive about how powerful a weapon can be. It's not so many hard numbers; there are times when 2+2 could equal 5. That's because we trust our NTSE mods, and our GMs, to reasonably adjudicate what is possible and what isn't.

Rulemaking removes any semblance of reason and any chance of grey. It commits us to certain outcomes that we might not always like. It takes away the point of v3, which is to give GMs and players more power to just make things look cool.

I think that can be said about projectile defense and speed too. Are we seriously worried about how fast a missile exits an atmosphere? How big a gun we need to shoot it down? Can we not really talk to each other and figure out how that might go here, there, anywhere? Are we so afraid of each other?

There's only one time that we are afraid.

PvP.

V3 isn't about PvP and makes that practice more — and less — difficult. More in that you can't just throw a bunch of numbers together to get an outcome. Less difficult because it means people can talk about how they want something to go.

The one thing I can understand is speed, but even that can get covered by other rules we already have.

tl;dr: We don't need all of this. I said that in Zack's thread, I say it here again. Jaegerman's submission is well done, of course, but it's a complexity we don't require.

If we want to keep things lean, and give NTSE mods the power to maneuver, this submission should be rejected with hearty thanks to Jaegerman.

Last edited:
*casts Necromancy*

What's been said recently in these two threads has had me thinking over the past few days, especially after what @Doshii Jun,
@Fred, @Reynolds, and @Syaoran stated (emphasis mine).

Upon reading this, to (partially) quote a certain actor by the name of Morgan Freeman, it was at this moment I knew I'd fucked up - and what @Reynolds said later only reinforced this belief of mine that somewhere along the line something had gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Re-reading what @Fred and @Syaoran wrote performed the coup de grâce on my confidence in statistics, in a numbers-based system...

...and then, while looking over the sprawling, bloated mess of my original proposal plus the ensuing discussion (and obvious derail attempts by certain parties)...

Well, then it might count as armored? And shielded?

FFS, I didn't even think this kind of stuff needed rules.

...the last piece of the "missile puzzle" fell into place, causing me to ask myself something:

Who actually cares?

As @Fred pointed out earlier, most GMs aren't going to even bother following a missile's "written" specifications (apart from whether or not it goes faster than whatever ship the PCs are flying and/or crewing) and will instead roleplay the missiles in whatever fashion bests suits their plot, which also applies to a missile's blast radius, range, and so on. Even armor and barriers (providing the missile in question actually has any) don't ultimately matter, given how much interpretative freedom the current Damage Rating system gives GMs - so you know what?

I thought to myself "To hell with the 'Missile Damage Capacity & Size,' the 'Missile Speeds,' the 'Submunitions,' and the confusing 'Missile & Armament Limitations' sections" and deleted them, because they were what had made this so-called "addendum" into a system of its own that created more problems than it solved. The current edition is infinitely simpler and is virtually an exact copy of the system @Fred proposed here - because, in my humble opinion, that is all that's needed.

Is it vague? Yes - but so is DRv3. Does it address things like missile size, speed, blast radius, submunitions, or so on? No - but isn't that one of the primary reasons the NTSE exists, to prevent overpowered submissions from making it into the setting? The problem with the original version of this proposal was that it was incredibly restrictive, as numerous individuals correctly pointed out - so I've done my very best to rectify this mistake by making the updated version as brief as possible (in my opinion, that is - I'm sure there's plenty that could be removed).

To people such as @Reynolds, who - no offense intended here - don't know what to put, and to those such as @Zack who (understandably) insist on standards of some fashion like I did on two prior occaissions?

Put what you feel is best for the missile size, speed, blast radius, and such.

If it's overpowered, the NTSE will (or should) reject it, and if it's not, it will be approved - and even if something overpowered slips by the NTSE, guess what?

It's not the end of the world as we know it, because to those who wish to metagame and exploit this addendum? Be my guest and do so to your heart's content, but just remember that (even if you manage to somehow bypass the NTSE) with the obvious exception of Yamatai (no disrespect intended, @Wes, but the YSE is the strongest faction in the setting) no one likes to roleplay with that guy who insists on winning every time and always has the "best" toys - and echo chambers get boring really, really fast, particularly when there's oodles upon oodles of tech available but no one besides yourself to roleplay it with.

tl;dr: Would @Wes, @Doshii Jun, @Fred, @Ametheliana, and @CadetNewb (plus anyone else who has constructive criticism) mind looking at this again? Here's another Linky to the page in question.

P.S. (@Fred): I don't believe in no-win scenarios either

Last edited:
The fundamental problem this seems intended to address some of the more severe symptoms of is an attitude that more is better when it comes to missile launch capacity. If we didn't have that problem, there wouldn't be a motivation to push the limit. I'd be more comfortable if designers had the mindset that a ship with a vast array of weapons systems isn't necessarily more effective than a ship with a small number of dedicated ones--in particular, I imagine that where possible, better missiles will help more than more missiles (and not just based on their damage rating).

So, I'm concerned that defining these caps might encourage the behavior it's meant to prevent, but... if that behavior is going to happen regardless, if we just don't have any way to get people to stop trying to invent something that's somehow 'better overall', I suppose we need something like this. As long as it doesn't lead to people reverse-engineering from it the idea that more is necessarily better (because why would it be forbidden if it wasn't something to want?), it's better to have limits than to watch what happens without them.

About the limits themselves... Do we really want 1/8th of a ship's 'weapon capacity' (which I'm assuming is something like a third of its total mass) to be enough space to carry a weapon optimized for use against a ship two classes larger? In most sci-fi settings I've seen, a ship that has one weapon optimized for use against a ship two classes larger is not likely to have a single other weapon worth noting. Even a ship optimized for fighting ships one class smaller than itself doesn't seem likely to have eight of them, in my mind.

If this setting is deliberately meant to have high lethality, alright... but from everything I've heard before, it's meant to be closer to the other end of the scale, even though ships 'punching above their weight' is common for Yamatai, at least. This article seems to establish a baseline where ships are far stronger offensively than defensively--unless that's mitigated in some way other than relative weapon and defensive tier, and that'd make the tiers misleading.

My recommendation would be to tone it down at least two steps, maybe three or four. Shifting the weapon caps down four steps would bring the results in line with my expectations--a gunship that's optimized to punch holes in heavy cruisers will be more gun than ship, and not equipped for much else.

Or maybe the reason I'm confused is because the article's talking about the amount of ammunition the ship can carry, not the number of launchers; in which case it seems very reasonable to have eight missiles per launcher. The article isn't clear on this, though, and some of the lines seem to contradict it.

Edit: After reading the article three times, I'm still not sure I'm reading it right. The examples don't seem to follow straightforwardly from the rules they're provided as examples of how to implement.

Last edited:
YSE is the strongest faction in the setting) no one likes to roleplay with that guy who insists on winning every time and always has the "best" toys
I literally don't insist on Yamatai winning every time, or that Yamatai's equipment is the best at things, and I'm getting tired of this oversimplification. Obviously Yamatai is the "hero faction" of the setting but it can and has been defeated in battles although not in a war, because most wars we've had are existential.
and echo chambers get boring really, really fast, particularly when there's oodles upon oodles of tech available but no one besides yourself to roleplay it with.
What "echo chambers" are you referring to? One of the best things about Yamatai is it has many great people to RP with.

Also what about missiles that don't require launchers at all?

Frost is being more wordy than he really needs to be, but in summary, he's trying to convey that there'd be two types of guided projectiles:

- The single torpedo launcher-type, which assumes that you have enough ammunition to fire it through a prolongued fight. It's generally assumed that each launcher has about 20 rounds on average (not a limitation, just an expectation based on precedent) and may fire once every 5 to 10 seconds (we have faster 2/sec per shot launchers, but they're rarely roleplayed as firing that quickly - even my Himiko class whom relied heavily on torpedoes)
- The single-shot missiles that don't require any launchers at all.

What's new here is that the no-launcher missiles can typically be fired without much in the way of limitations, but don't reload, so, they lack the advantage of an ammo storage.

For a same-tier torpedo launcher, you can have 4 same-tier single-shot missiles. Hence his example on a light cruiser, where for the equivalent of a same-tier weapon, he could pile up:
  • x1 Tier 14 Medium Anti-Capital Ship missile
  • x2 Tier 13 Light Anti-Capital Ship missiles
  • x4 Tier 12 Heavy Anti-Starship missiles
  • x8 Tier 11 Medium Anti-Starship missiles
  • x16 Tier 10 Light Anti-Starship missiles
  • x32 Tier 9 Heavy Anti-Mecha missiles
  • x64 Tier 8 Medium Anti-Mecha missiles
  • x128 Tier 7 Light Anti-Mecha missiles
  • x256 Tier 6 Heavy Anti-Armor missiles
  • x512 Tier 5 Medium Anti-Armor missiles
  • x1,024 Tier 4 Light Anti-Armor missiles
This doesn't prohibit variance in the missile types used, but it does provide a starting point for dealing with missile-rack type armament.

My apologies for not making this more clear in my post, @Wes - what I wrote was not directed at you, the Yamatai Star Empire, the Star Army of Yamatai, or anything related to them. Yamatai is the oldest, largest, and most-roleplayed faction in the setting - and it makes sense for the website's namesake to have the best technology and "toys." What I meant by "...that guy who insists on winning every time and always has the 'best' toys" were the metagamers who stubbornly insist on having the weapons/ships/shields/sensors/engines/et cetera, regardless of roleplay (or, more typically, lack thereof), common sense, and canon. As for "echo chambers," well, I was referring to places like the infamous #sarpfree - as although they had their bright points, most of the time it was just a cycle of self-reinforcing negativity over things that in hindsight were either silly or resolvable via discussion and/or compromise.

Also what about missiles that don't require launchers at all?

@Wes, @Doshii Jun, @Fred, @Ametheliana, and @CadetNewb - I've updated the page to address this a bit further, and based upon what @Fred recently posted I've removed some of the extraneous text.

Perfection. Well done, Jaegerman.

Thanks, although @Fred deserves the lion's share of the credit - I merely took what he wrote earlier, polished it a little, and converted it into a wiki article.

That "mitigating factor" is - in my humble opinion, and I'm not trying to be rude here - referred to as "point defense systems," which are reflected by the tiers, seeing as how all point defense weapons count towards a vehicle or ship's weapon limit.

It's entirely possible for someone to create a torpedo cruiser with, say, six missiles capable of taking down a battleship - but you have to remember that to the best of my knowledge virtually all of the battleships within SARP pack a lot of point defense systems, meaning that those six missiles are probably just going to get intercepted and destroyed (much like the unfortunate cruiser, once the battleship decides to blow it out of existence). With 20 cruisers, though, the odds are now stacked against the battleship, because - just like it (again, to the best of my knowledge) was in World War II - a single battleship simply doesn't have the point defense necessary to handle that many incoming missiles at once.

You also have my apologies, @Navian, for not catching several mathematical errors that I made when copying-pasting from the forum to the wiki. Would you mind looking it over again, now that said errors have been corrected? @Fred also did an excellent job of tl;dr-ing what I was trying to convey in the post above.

I want to add that while the 4-single-shot missile ratio is something I came up with, I'm not sure I can endorse it. I'm not positive it fixes the problem.

Okay, I'm going to share a personnal dilemma; the reason why even though I chafe at Zack going "rules rulez" that I can't entirely dismiss him.

Some of you heard I've a ship in the pipeline. Been having that for awhile. I have a 3d model made. I've got deckplans sketched. And I'm hitting a roadblock with DRv3's building guidelines (and throwing hissy fits because building had no business being in DRv3; that's not what I wanted it to do, but to sell it to Cadetnewb I had to accomodate him).

So, where I came from:
I'm upgrading the initial Himiko class. My ship, Miharu, had a torpedo launcher on rollbar. Back then, the hotness was having horizontal shafts that would serve as fore and aft tubes. My problem with them was that since Miharu was very torpedo reliant, it was hard to juggle around extra munitions around just two tubes; and if you loaded something for the rear arc, well, you couldn't load anything for the front arc in the same tube.

So, the pre-DRv3 Fred was like "Oh, I know! I'll just make the tubes separate! And to have more room to maneuver, I'll double the number of tubes."

And so, I sketched it out, then modeled it, and grinned. Yeah, it was working out!

DRv3 showed up; you know, that thing I'm responsible for making happen? Yay me! But, later I looked at my torpedoes and started doing my math.

"So, I've for a 500m cruiser (that's tier 13) who fires Z-1 torpedoes (Tier 12). But I've got eight tubes (8x Tier 12) on my ship."
My torpedoes were taking half of my budget! I had other stuff to put on that ship too! 4 probe launchers whom I grew concered would be considered as weapons since they could feasibly be weaponized. And positron cannons. And railguns. And beams arrays.

Fred: X.x
Fred: "Maybe I can sell them as fore/aft launcher and they won't notice?"

Yeah, fat chance, that. If anything, if I was tempted to evade the problem with subterfuge, it underscored that something was not right.

I know the torpedoes make sense on my model and in my plans. I know - even though they're potent - that they aren't worth half the ship's total assets. I know I've got two decks out of a projected eleven dedicated for ammo storage and that in the height available, I can probably have 28 Z-1 torpedoes minimum for each launcher (2 stacks of 14 torpedoes; having a third stack seemed feasible). So, eight launchers, 224 torpedoes; and it didn't fit despite my feeling I knew better.

So, yeah, I knew that I had a problem with the launchers of guided projectiles. Arieg's submission hit me before I had figured out a solution and I tried to hatch a plan. At first, I was supposing and trying to find an answer... but now that Frost is pressuring for a decisive outcome, I have to fess up: no, this isn't working.

Last edited:
If only someone had seen this problem coming during the DRv3 approval thread!

It also looks like there is 0 chance of getting the rules changed.

So the solution seems to he the Arieg style workaround. We classify Fred's 8 torpedo tubes as a multi-barrel torpedo launcher. Just have the submission read 'Miharu Torpedo System' or some such and give the entire system a single combined Rate of Fire and shared ammunition pool

It is really no different than having twin-linked weapons 40k style. Treat two guns as a single weapon system.

As for probe launchers... I mean just fire them from the torpedo tubes instead. I think the guideline so far is that a weapon has to be treated as firing the most powerful thing it can so if the probe launchers can fire torpedoes they'd count as Tier 12 weapons. If they can't then you don't have to count them as weapons.

If only someone had seen this problem coming during the DRv3 approval thread!

It also looks like there is 0 chance of getting the rules changed.
I don't find it rewarding to be up-front with my doubts and problems only to get slapped with this kind of attitude.
Seriously, stuff your sarcasm up where the sun doesn't shine. I don't need this; especially when you're already getting your pound of flesh with my admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…