• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

'Duster' Machine Pistol

Those bullets would be balls heavy. Nerimium is too heavy to be used in most personal capacities, and you'd be limited to a pretty small amount of ammo for a disproportionately large amount of weight.

SUBLIMEinal said:
Those bullets would be balls heavy. Nerimium is too heavy to be used in most personal capacities, and you'd be limited to a pretty small amount of ammo for a disproportionately large amount of weight.

Yeah, that is why the ammunition is simply clad in a very thin exterior coating of the nerimium, and not nerimium cored. Just enough of a coating to add some weight to the round for increased hurt.

Wouldn't that cause overpenetration and less stopping power?

The estimated weight of the bullets is what's missing here. Otherwise, we're doing guesswork.

Also, 375 m/s for such a small round, even a spherical one, is slow. Oughta manage 500 m/s at least. It is a railgun, after all.

Adjusted FPS accordingly, and added loaded weight. Its a hefty bit, but its worth it to carry that much hurt.

That's not what I meant, though that's helpful, Doc. Thank you. I should've worded my statement better.

I meant the weight of a single bullet. How many ounces does it weigh?

Doshii Jun said:
That's not what I meant, though that's helpful, Doc. Thank you. I should've worded my statement better.

I meant the weight of a single bullet. How many ounces does it weigh?

.728 Grams / 0.02 Ounces

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

0.728 grams is about 12 grains. That's less than half the weight of even the lightest .22 Long Rifle bullet, and though the caliber is smaller (.22 LR is 5.6 mm) the weight is still very light and the speed is nearly the same. And with them being spherical ... I just don't think you're getting what you want.

You're shooting the rounds very fast, but the effective range isn't going to be 200 meters. If this is meant to be armor-piercing, the effective range with the speed and weight you have now is 50 meters, tops.

But I don't believe the rounds can penetrate thick space-faring clothing, let alone armor.

The reason is that the bullets are too light, have a poor shape for penetration, and have a low ballistic coefficient. It's as if you were shooting a .17 HMR-like round, but without enough speed or weight to penetrate very far into naked tissue. Worse, the rounds lack the shape they'd need to pierce armor.

The coating of the rounds is duly noted, and that idea's sound. But at best, these BB-like rounds will penetrate an inch or so into naked tissue. If a person's wearing body armor, the rounds will bounce off without penetrating.

If other ammo is used, the calculations change. Needle rounds, for example, could be more effective against bare tissue, but even less effective against body armor.

Bottom line, however: Too light, too slow and of poor shape to do damage.

From the overall tone of the submission, the weapon is meant to:

• 1. Accept many forms of ammunition.
    2. Extend the amount of time the user is in active combat (high ammo capacity).
    3. Be relatively cheap.
    4. Be durable and convenient.
    5. Be effective in killing unarmored opponents.

I think to do this, the best change you could make would be to use spitzer- or conical-type projectiles as the standard round, and make them at least 31 grains (2g) in weight. No, you won't get much penetration, you won't defeat good body armor, and you'll significantly add to the weapon's loaded weight. But you will be able to pierce heavy clothing and naked tissue, and that's something.

(No offense meant by the links; I don't know who knows what I'm talking about or not, so I 'cited' my work.)

Though I'm still iffy on how truly effective this'll be, it's certainly has some effectiveness now. It gets my blessing.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ