Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Editing lock timer discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Players without mod privileges no longer are able to edit their own posts after 24 hours.

Wes said:
It's important to preserve the integrity of RP posts. We allow editing to correct issues but after a while I want posts to be locked in where their poster can't delete everything if they go on an Arieg-style deletion rampage.
The security concern is valid, but I'm wondering if we can't stretch out that timer to something longer. Mog suggested a week. I'd go for a month myself. Thoughts?

I'd go with a week as well. I generally try to avoid editing posts after people have replied to them and a week coincides with most plots' posting requirements.

At that point, I try to just roll with any typos made and try to correct myself ICly.

For clarification: Forum mods remain capable of editing posts inside their forums. So GMs, if your players do find mistakes reading back or other such things, you can edit them.

Also, players always are able to talk to a global mod (yellowname) to get something edited if they need to.

And what about those who keep a small number of posts in a thread and consistently keep them up to date and live?

We're boned, basically. Though its only a single case, really.

I also like using the edit function to go in and rip code from my previous posts to muck about with it since I don't always have every copy of every post I've ever made.

Edit:

The thread in question: viewtopic.php?f=173&t=8948

That can quickly litter up a thread with lots of duplicate posts and the advantage of editing the top post is that it keeps the most up to date information available right on top.

edit: This is especially useful if you want to allow other people to be able to comment in the topic.

You don't have to post quoted material to extract code — just bring it into the editing window and copy what you want.

The forum is for roleplaying and discussion and the wiki is for keeping track of things. Why not just put that info on the wiki where you can update it more easily?

Because I invested my time formatting and sorting everything out.

And I like it that way. I mean, why isn't business and manufacturing discussion going to tell the public about the current status of your company?

This is a bad move, Wes.

I don't like it.

Those who sacrifice their freedom for security deserve neither.

I understand the security reason but isn't it more fair to make radical forum edits a bannable offense — which Aerig was — instead of taking away a tool often used by virtually the entire community?

I join with the discontentment about the editing feature being changed.

Suffice to say, I edit a lot. I can relate with a lot of the bias being raised.

My point of view? If you want posts to remain static, you lock the thread. Anything beyond that, in my opinion, is unnecessary.

Fred said:
I join with the discontentment about the editing feature being changed.

Suffice to say, I edit a lot. I can relate with a lot of the bias being raised.

My point of view? If you want posts to remain static, you lock the thread. Anything beyond that, in my opinion, is unnecessary.

Perhaps a policy change that completed roleplaying threads of sufficient age are locked and/or archived instead?

Isn't that supposed to be the perogative of the GM?

Simply put: don't automate. It was fine before. It wasn't broken. Don't break it.

I'm with Fred. Don't change things without asking us.

We're the userbase. Its very rude not to involve us.

Next time put it to a vote or something.

Based on feedback I've updated the edit timer from 1440 to 10080 minutes (7 days). Most GMs are moderators of their forums so they they will be able to make edits after that if necessary.

Related note: The "delete your own posts" timer is 30 minutes.

I have to agree, to be honest. One person flipping out shouldn't change our policies any more then what happened with Five did. Move on, we ban them, and go back to operating just like usual. This just adds unnecessary red tape.

Oh wonderful.

I did have a timeline going to pull all the events that happened in the plot together. I wasn't updating it regularly. I wasn't keeping it prim and proper, better than most plots have, to pull the whole situation together.

Now everything is nice, dandy and wonderful because I can't edit and I'm really looking forward to gutting a forum page into a wiki-page which is super easy and easily done without an internet connection, which I'm thrilled to be without.

Its obviously a great idea to take away everyone's freedom over their posts because one person alone refused to leave things as they were.

As we all know, gimping the forums for the majority because a minority screw up isn't all that bad. Stop worrying, everyone.

And besides, users love having their freedoms taken away. It won't inspire hatred in the person responsible at ALL!

awww.theliberati.net_quaequamblog_wp_content_unusual_sarcasm_notice.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back