Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

EM-G7 Emrys Environ suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
Submission Type: Space Suit
Submission URL: EM-G7 Emrys Environ suit

Faction: Nepleslia
FM Approved Yet? Yes

Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: An updated version of the Original Dusk EVA suit for use by Nepleslians and other humans.

I dislike thread necromancy as much as the next guy but since this has started appearing in Nepleslian inventories, I need to ask some clarifying questions.

1) How much does the suit weigh in 1G? 6cm thick Durandium chestplate can't be all that light to maneuver since it's also the standard PA plating. In zero gravity, I can see it being plausible to use work in, like an EVA suit. In 1G, such as aboard a warship, it would seem to be rather cumbersome.

2) Why does it need to be 2SP (which you may want to edit from the current ADR2), armor scale? I don't see anything about it being used as a combat armor.

3) What is the reasoning for Nepleslia's adoption of this fomerly Yamataian suit? I see nothing about Nepleslia's intended use for this suit. What is, in MoonMan's words, the need?

In the NSMC, they have the Hostile, VOID & Aggressor for general use in atmospheric and space operations. What need is there for this suit? Especially if, like the guy in the art, you're going to use a giant axe instead of a gun? You could achieve greater results the same axe while in a Hostile.

In the NSN, I can see the need for a space suit to do EVA or if there is a breach in hull integrity but this doesn't seem like it. It appears more like a body armor than a space suit from the current art and descriptions. One doesn't need a heavily armored suit to do repairs. In comparison to all of the other space suits linked (which all lack SP values), this is heavily armored. Why does it need PA grade armor plating?

4) Why was this sneaked into the standard NSMC and NSN inventories without GMs being notified?

The suit and its inclusion into the Nepleslian military inventory were already approved by Nepleslian FM(s) via IRC.

1) How much does the suit weigh in 1G? 6cm thick Durandium chestplate can't be all that light to maneuver since it's also the standard PA plating. In zero gravity, I can see it being plausible to use work in, like an EVA suit. In 1G, such as aboard a warship, it would seem to be rather cumbersome.

The UBM is 6CM, but its not solid durandium, so yes it is bulky to be walking around it. The various systems, are in the UBM, so it can't be solid. If I had to place a weight on the UBM probably about 60-75 lbs.

2) Why does it need to be 2SP (which you may want to edit from the current ADR2), armor scale? I don't see anything about it being used as a combat armor.

Perhaps you should have read this. "This upper body module provides better protection from space hazards, and serves as an integrated propulsive unit."

3) What is the reasoning for Nepleslia's adoption of this fomerly Yamataian suit? I see nothing about Nepleslia's intended use for this suit. What is, in MoonMan's words, the need?

The G7 is not a formerly Yamataian suit, it was actually created for the Nepleslians. It was based on the old but enhanced to be better suited to Nepleislians who do not have internal propulsion. Why because there was no space suit in the Nep inventory, and Emrys has always been a company that sells to both Yamatai and Nepleslia.

In the NSMC, they have the Hostile, VOID & Aggressor for general use in atmospheric and space operations. What need is there for this suit? Especially if, like the guy in the art, you're going to use a giant axe instead of a gun? You could achieve greater results the same axe while in a Hostile.

I had nothing to do with the image. the G7 is intended to be for EVA not combat.

In the NSN, I can see the need for a space suit to do EVA or if there is a breach in hull integrity but this doesn't seem like it. It appears more like a body armor than a space suit from the current art and descriptions. One doesn't need a heavily armored suit to do repairs. In comparison to all of the other space suits linked (which all lack SP values), this is heavily armored. Why does it need PA grade armor plating?

4) Why was this sneaked into the standard NSMC and NSN inventories without GMs being notified?

It was accepted ICLY Of Commerce and profit When the Corp visited Pyros, and accepted a gift of 10,000, it was never added by Koku, so Wes later contacted the new FM about adding it to the inventory.

The UBM is 6CM, but its not solid durandium, so yes it is bulky to be walking around it. The various systems, are in the UBM, so it can't be solid. If I had to place a weight on the UBM probably about 60-75 lbs.
Lovely.

Perhaps you should have read this. "This upper body module provides better protection from space hazards, and serves as an integrated propulsive unit."

I had nothing to do with the image. the G7 is intended to be for EVA not combat. Do you see this as better suited to the NSN or equally useful to both combat branches?

It was accepted ICLY Of Commerce and profit When the Corp visited Pyros, and accepted a gift of 10,000, it was never added by Koku, so Wes later contacted the new FM about adding it to the inventory.
MoonMan wasn't very clear about this either, which was why I followed up on it. I remember the thread now.

It's part of the Nepleslian gear now. Nepleslians lacked a spacesuit but now they have one. Why the axe in the picture? Because it's awesome.

I'm locking this thread now, as this item is already...

- FM approved, and also FM approved to be standard issue
- Setting manager approved
- NTSE approved
- Illustrated with a $55 commissioned artwork.
- Supported by RP posts saying it's needed and showing it being accepted

I don't mind adding detail to this if there's questions about it, but at this point it's already part of the setting so the time for asking about the need has already passed. The spacesuit should probably be added to things like ship emergency lockers, escape pods, survival kits, where the player characters might look if they find themselves needing an environmental suit (decompression, chemical hazards, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back