• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Enhancements to the Ikoi stations

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
While working on the story for the YSS Aeon I had the opportunity to review the Ikoi from a Roleplaying perspective and found some items that I think should be addressed. Especially given the stated purpose of the Ikoi station.

Purpose
The Ikoi is designed to provide non-capital ships of the Star Army of Yamatai with repairs and refurbishments, as well as a place for the crew to rest and relax without requiring a return to the shipyards of Yamatai (Planet). In particular it is designed for those ships which operate alone.

Problem with the stated crew and accommodations.
Crew: None.
Pilots: None.
Maximum Capacity: There are accommodations for 45.

Crew none doesn’t make sense. When the ships assigned to the Ikoi are deployed a valuable resource is left unmanned? Further given the stated purpose of the Ikoi a lack of station crew doesn’t truly offer the opportunity for all of the crew to rest and relax. Who is supposed to cook food and clean the base? Not much of a rest for the ship cooks, especially since there is no galley.

Additionally there are insufficient quarters in station especially if more than one ship comes in for repair and R&R.

Yui scout crew 37
Irim crew 27
Plumeria crew 9 – 18
Ayame crew 120

Suggest that a standard station crew be around 20 - 40, to include command staff, cooks, technicians, power armor pilots, shuttle pilots, etc.

Also suggest that there should be two separate areas with living quarters. The first being for the station crew members. The second would be for visiting personnel.

Not an option in YE 31 with Anti-Slavery laws.
A sprite can easily be created to take care of the cooking.

While the Ikoi does offer a few nice amenities, such as a pool, park and such. Overall the facilities are a bit spartan for a Rest and Relaxation facility.

Suggest adding the following

• Mess & Kitchen
    Dedicated facility for the production and serving meals. Includes a scullery area; used for cleaning dishes, utensils, pots and pans. Also includes refrigerators, freezers and such for food stuff storage. (Need a larger area given the number of personnel who could be present.) The Wardroom could be used more like the "Ten-Forward" in Star Trek.

Commissary
    Commissaries are military supermarkets. The commissaries routinely stock items in grocery, meat, produce and deli, bakery, household, health care and cosmetics departments. (A place where visiting crew can purchase items to use while on station, and take when they leave.)

Recreation Area
    Area set assigned for recreational activities, with video games, pool tables, and items that can checked out by personnel, eg: Board games, Darts, Pool sticks, etc. Also includes a small theater room with a selection of recently released entertainment videos.

Post Office
    A place where crew assigned to vessels out of a Ikoi station can have items mailed or shipped to until such time as they can come and get them.

Ship’s Store
    The mission of the Ship Store program is to provide quality goods at a savings; to provide quality services necessary for day to day living; and to promote good morale.

Laundry
    Facilities for cleaning station bedding, towels, and crew and guest clothing.
Thoughts?

First up, Great commentary.

Though it would be helpful if you included a link to the Ikoi so people don't have to search through the wiki.

Aside from that the ship could be entirely automated, but also provide a sort of recreational home for other star ship crews which would explain why it has zero crew but accommodations for 45. That being said your analysis does make sense.

You might want to roll your suggestions into a modified version of the Ikoi and just post that for approval. It is always good to see more players taking part in ship design.

My bad about the link,

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=st ... ships:ikoi

I realize it could be "automated" but as valuable a resource as a it would be given some of the systems, seems risky. Plus some of the repairs a ship could require would probably require "trained" personnel on hand to install, calibrate parts etc.

I thought about the idea of making a new page, but it would be 95 the current Ikoi and 5 percent changes. Figured it would be best to put the proposed changes out there for comment, then decide if just updating the existing Ikoi page or creating an Ikoi MKII page would be appropriate.

Brian, I approve your changes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back