• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 09 - Downtime: Another interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: YSS Senbu.

The Senbu had finished collecting the Gold wing and now was back in pursuit of the Pirate craft. It had taken more than a few minutes, but what was done, was done. Shizuka sighed to herself, lightly pounding on her controls with a closed fist. "Why can a pirate ship have so many skilled pilots on it?" She questioned out loud, mostly to herself.

“Perhaps they aren’t pirates, Endo-shosa,” Nicholas said distantly as he worked at his console. The Geshrin officer had monitored the events of the Pride and Gold wings from his station on the bridge, and had wondered same question that Shizuka just voiced. “They also seem to be very well equipped for pirates,” he added, now more focused on what he was saying, “and I’ve seen my share of pirates during my career.”

"Well if that's the case, then they are better not left to their own devices." Shizuka nodded once to herself assuredly. Once she had decided there was not much she could do about the situation at the moment, she then glanced over one of her smaller displays to the side to things that she had to get to. "Alright, while we chase after them we have new pilots to take care of," Shizuka said, giving out communications to all the new enlisted personnel that needed interviews, ordering them to meet up outside the captain’s office.

Hiroko had been settling into her new room, putting away most of her bags and tidying up the bed slightly when she noticed the communication coming out to her. With a quick flourish, the enlisted woman dropped the rest of her stuff on the bed and headed out into the hallway. It was, for her, a fairly simple task to bug the MEGAMI about the room number for the captain's office, and then follow the signs to get there. It was hardly anything worth writing home about.

Having just found the (arguably) best deck on board the ship, Hara was a bit disappointed that he had to report to the CO now, of all times. He headed out of the area and back on board the lift, down to deck fifteen. At least he might be getting some orders soon. Arriving on the deck, he made his way to the entrance of the office. Now all there was to do was wait.

Of course, Hiroko turned her head to see Hara coming up to the office and glanced. Huh, despite what she heard, the Senbu apparently did have male power armor pilots... other than Shin. Interesting. Not exceedingly interesting, but interesting.

Hara flashed a smile in the woman's direction. It looked like this was the part where the introductions would begin. Once he was near, he started. "Hi! I'm Hara. How ya doin'?"

Hiroko tilted her head, hardly a bow but close enough to look like one by casual inspection. She turned to him, and replied tersely. "Hiroko. Fine." She didn't seem mad or anything, just... economical. But a few leisurely tilts of her head did show that she was somewhat just broadly waiting like he likely was.

"Ah. Nice to meet you, Hiroko," Hara continued, glancing towards the ground briefly. "This is a nice ship, huh? You should see the recreational area." Shifting slightly, he rubbed the bridge of his nose before speaking again. "You a mechanic?"

"PA pilot," the response went as she reclined into the wall, letting her back fall into an indigo cushion. She seemed very...relaxed, somehow. But with a tilt of her head, she thought, Recreational area, hmm? At least a glance. Probably not a ton more, unless there's something compelling. I like... quieter things.

Hara nodded. "I think we might be working together, then...but you really should give the recreational area a look. If you really want peace and quiet, it even has libraries"

Hiroko blinked, actually sounding something other than terribly laconic for a moment. There was actually something of a spark to her appearance. "Libraries? I should hope they're well-stocked."

"Eh." Hara shrugged. "I don't see why not. What kind of stuff do you read? I bet you could find something else you'd like in there, even if it wasn't."

Hiroko slid a bit further into the wall, before absentmindedly pushing herself back up. When she responded, she had a fairly level tone, and brought forward her hands to form a little arch. "Many things. Textbooks, novels... but I have an especial liking for philosophy. Have you read the Dao De Jing?"

"Dao... De Jing? Sorry, never heard of it," Hara said, frowning. "What's that about..." He turned to look back down the hall he had come from. "...And how long are we going to be waiting?"

Hiroko leaned forward, now actually wearing a smile as Hara began to tread more into subject matter she cared about. "How nice of you to ask! It's a book written... gah, has to be multiple millennia ago now, pre-spaceflight. It's about... err, to summarize, a philosophy about a single principle to the universe and how to act naturally and on reflex to be in harmony with that principle."

Back on the bridge, Shizuka rose up to her feet and glanced over to one of the higher ranked ship operators. "Haruka-heisho, the bridge is yours," she said as she gathered her data pad and spill proof coffee mug. She looked to Nicholas and gestured for him to follow. Once they passed the doors into the hall, she sighed deeply. "Nick, I think I'm going to give Mizu and Kuriko promotions. I think with these news pilots, we can expand the Pride Wing a bit and give each a unit to be responsible over," Shizuka mentioned as they took the short walk to her office. "Your thoughts?" she asked, truly wanting his opinion.

Nicholas was silent as he contemplated Shizuka’s plan, walking by her side and always a step behind her. The Pride Wing was indeed expanding beyond the small unit that it had started out as, and it was inevitable that a more complex structuring would occur within it. “I agree with promoting those two,” he replied after weighing the consideration. “Although we have not been able to give them all of the training that the first sortie proved that they needed, Shifuda and Kisaragi-hei have proven themselves in the field. They already outrank all of the others in the wing, except for Yoshihara-hei, though. Do you intend to elevate anyone else?”

"Well, since the sortie here has been completed. I can finally grant your Shoi status," Shizuka said pleasantly as she gestured for him to follow her into the back entrance to her office. "But I'd like to have a conversation with both Mizu-hei and Kuriko-hei; I'd like to figure out which one should be given lead. As for Maya, her rank restriction while on Pride Wing duty will not be lifted. She still hasn’t proven herself in my eyes," Shizuka said as she went about setting up her desk and pulling up more information and data. "Oh, and if you'd like to change out of those Enlisted reds, I have your new uniform over there for you to change into before the interviews." The lionesque Neko pointed with a finger towards the command staff white officer’s uniform hanging off to the side in her office, tailored to Nicholas’ sizes.

“I was referring to other members of the Pride Wing when I mentioned other elevations, but thank you for your continued confidence in me, Shosa,” Nicholas said, grinning as he spoke. He then bowed deeply and then moved over to where the uniform was hanging, glancing around to see where he could quickly change before the new personnel were admitted to the office. “Ah… Shosa, have you got somewhere that I might be able to put this uniform on?” he asked earnestly. “In the interest of time, somewhere close, perhaps?”

Shizuka looked up at him, that devious glint obvious in her very animated face. "Feel free to change the top here Nick, don't worry. I won't peak." Shizuka said the last bit playfully as she turned her eyes back down to her data pad looking over the profiles for the new pilots.

“Yes, Shosa. Thank you, Shosa,” Nicholas said very quickly as his face flushed red for a moment. He wasn’t nearly as modest as he was before his time in the military and was comfortable doing things that weren’t done in more polite society, but a situation like this still made his nerves fire without hesitation. So, turning his back to Shizuka, he shed the enlisted jacket as fast as he could and put on the new officer’s jacket that she had prepared for him, making sure to hang the older one neatly before getting back to the more pressing matters that had to be attended to.

As he did so, she did however not peak; she stared quite plainly, taking advantage of loopholes in her own statement. Then as he turned around she smiled brightly. "It looks good on you," she commented as she then also put an order to Mizu to come to her office in fifteen minutes for a conversation. "So, first order of business. You handle this interview," Shizuka said with an all-too-pleased grin as she offered an open box containing his new rank pin. "I'll just sit here and observe, I have my own question for them, but I'll leave that for the last bit," Shizuka mentioned as she then lifted her coffee mug and raised it to him in a playful gesture before bringing it back to sip. MEGAMI then alerted Hara that he may enter, on the Captain’s cue.

“Thanks, MEGAMI,” Hara nodded, his eye's now locked on the entrance. "Look's like I’m up first," he said to Hiroko.

The Geshrin Shoi would have felt more embarrassed at Shizuka’s comment had she not told him that he was to interview a new member of her wing. He stood there for a moment with his mouth open before approaching her desk to take the rank insignia. “You always seem to overestimate my abilities, Shizu – aah, Endo-shosa,” Nicholas said, composing himself as best he could at the moment. “I will do as you ask, though,” he bowed deeply again, “and I reiterate my thanks to you – and the glorious Star Army – for the promotion.”

The Neko Shosa didn't lose her bright smile as he took the pin. She stood up and returned his bow. "On behalf of the Star Army of Yamatai, I'd like to thank you for all of your hard work this far and because I believe in my judgment, I know you won't let me down," she said formally, and then returned to standing. "But I must say, Nick, with my overestimations and your underestimations, I think our ship is going to be in capable hands." She jested for a second, lightening the mood before returning to her seat and then gesturing to the door and offering her data pad over to the Geshrin.

That’s when the door then opened up to Shizuka's office. It was the standard set up; thick, soft, dark blue carpeting, dark wood-paneled walls and soft lighting. Shizuka never had the time, or the motivation to redecorate, but on the walls there were her few awards in frames and whatnot. The only thing that would stand out the most would be a very small shrine with a dizzying set of metals and a picture of a dark-haired Neko with a thick gold woman's necklace that held a small tribal lion charm hanging from it, the very same one that Shizuka was seen wearing. There were two officers there, both wearing the ship's command staff whites.

Hara stepped into the office. The instant he spotted the two he stopped and bowed. Once he was done, he began. "Santô Hei Hara Saruwatari; Combat Arms, formerly of the YSS Asuka. I thank you for choosing me to serve aboard this magnificent vessel." The woman was no doubt the Shizuka Endo the man he had come aboard told him about... however, he had no clue who the man was.

Shizuka was a slender yet solid female NH-29 Nekovalkyrja with tanned skin. She had young facial features; a cute small nose and a pair of sharp big slanted amber eyes. Her unruly, dark sandy blonde hair was quite calm at the moment, after she pushed it down on her way here. Shizuka's general appearance with her smaller Neko ears and almost primal-like posture gave her the slight appearance of a lion. She bowed her head in return to the Hei. "Welcome aboard my ship Saruwatari-hei, I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for this interview, but we were tied up with a little pirate problem." Shizuka then gestured towards one of the seats across from her desk. "Please sit."

Hara nodded, silently walking over to the desk and taking a seat. He stared straight ahead, waiting for the interview to begin.

As Hara entered, Nicholas took the data pad from Shizuka, turning to face the Santô Hei as he bowed. The Geshrin examined the rough-looking Yamataian before him, reviewing the man’s service record on the data pad as he spoke. “Well, again, welcome aboard the YSS Senbu, Saruwatari-hei,” Nicholas said after Hara sat down. “I am Nicholas Saiga-shoi, and this Neko is our captain, Shizuka Endo-shosa,” he continued, gesturing to the vessel’s fiery commanding officer. “Before you begin your duties aboard her vessel, I will be asking you some questions, and you will answer them. Is this understood?”

Shizuka smiled and nodded towards Hara in a curt and simple sort of bow as she was introduced. Then the captain went silent as she quietly observed the interview with coffee in hand.

"Understood, sir." Hara replied simply.

Hara had been in the office for only a few seconds, but to Hiroko it already seemed like a while. So, she leaned against the wall, reading off of the same PDA-size computer she was reading from during the shuttle ride...

Kuriko had been wandering the ship for around 20 minutes before she finally decided to talk to Shizuka-Shosa about how she felt concerning Akira-Shoi. After the brief walk through the miniature city that the repair ship was, Kuriko found herself approaching the Shosa's office. As Kuriko approached she noticed a Yamataian, also wearing Infantry blues, sitting outside. "Is the Shosa busy?" Kuriko asked as she approached Hiroko.

Hiroko heared the unfamiliar voice and looked up from the little computer, sliding it into a side pocket as she reclined against the wall further. A glance, a bit of a flat tone, and she replied in kind. "You could say so. Hara-Santo is having his interview right now, and then I, mine."Hmm, she seems busy then. Maybe this won't take too long; I can wait here before I need to meet up with Mizu. Kuriko thought as she sat next to Hiroko. "I see." Kuriko said as she remembered her own interview with Shizuka, and grimaced as she remembered that she was ordered to get in shape. Tcht, I need to do that soon! Kuriko thought. "Did you just arrive?" Kuriko glanced over at Hiroko as she asked the question taking a good long look at the Yamataian's Indigo hair, and grey eyes.

Hiroko sensed the eyes on her, closer than before, and shifted subtly as Kuriko looked her over. After a few seconds of silence while that happened, Hiroko eventually returned the glance, noting the black hair as well. "Yes, yes I did. Along with a loud man and a quiet girl. Both very enthusiastic. ...Shin-Hei and Sakaki-Hei if I recall correctly."

Kuriko leaned back into her chair. "Where did you come from? Have you had a previous assignment or are you a new recruit?" Kuriko felt she might have been probing a little bit, but she wanted to get to know this woman. After all, if Shizuka-Shosa believed that she should get to know all of the people on her ship, why then shouldn't Kuriko?

Hiroko blinked for a second at the question, but quickly regained her composure, and replied flatly. It wasn't a monotone, but rather matter-of-fact. "This would be my first combat assignment. I only joined relatively recently... Why do you ask? Or just curious?"

"Just curious. Hopefully curiosity won't kill me." Kuriko said, giggling a little after she spoke. "This is my first combat assignment as well. I used to be a caretaker, but right now I've been reassigned as infantry. It's different then I thought it'd be." Kuriko said.

Hiroko nodded her head subtly. "I would know. I was a database worker and librarian before I decided to sign on as infantry. It's a different life, but one that can be adapted to in time."

"Oh?" Kuriko asked "I wouldn't be surprised to hear of other nekos born in the Star Army being reassigned infantry, but why did you decide to become a member of the infantry?" Hiroko now had Kuriko's full attention as Kuriko wondered what life as a civilian was like, especially a life that would cause a civilian to join the military.

At this Hiroko leaned further back and... tilted her head, wondering herself. "Well, I know how the Empire works. Ultimately, the most powerful and respected organized entity is the Star Army. And after all those years of war I had my reasons to consider it as a good idea." She thought a bit more, though, tilting her head the other way.

"Infantry, though? Because PA infantry is not the same as what, say, the Nepleslians would imagine soldiery to be. Instead it's... just you, your suit, and the abyss. It's... pure."

"So this is almost a spiritual quest for you then?" Kuriko asked as she thought about Hiroko's words, weighed them, and started a working file on her.

Hiroko actually snickered a little at that comment. "You might say, that, but... it's more that I realized I should be in the military, and only from there I chose the most appropriate field. It's.. personal. Flexible. Balanced.

It's hard to describe, I guess you could call it spiritual."Kuriko smiled when Hiroko snickered. "Sometimes it's not as hard to describe as you'd think. Do you have any expectations for the future then?" Kuriko tilted her head slightly as she asked the question.

Hiroko held her chin in thought, but only for a second. "...Well, I suppose a decent position and the chance to pursue hobbies would be nice."

Nicholas took a seat after the other two did, setting the data pad down in front of him, glancing from it to Hara, as if referring to a list of questions that were prepared. In reality, the pad had no such thing, and the Shoi was doing nothing more than trying to remember back to his own interview with Shizuka for ideas on what to ask. “You are here because you are being considered for a special position, Saruwatari-hei,” he began. “My first question for you is this: how do you feel about working closely with others?”

Hara thought for a moment. What had that saying been? “Working with others is vital in the occupation I have. Most occupations, at that. 'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts', as they say," he answered.

After receiving word from the MEGAMI to report to the Shosa's office, Mizu promptly left her room, steadily pacing her way to her destination. Along the way, she would appear stern and professional on the outside while frantically panicking on the inside. Having been called to the Shosa's office wasn't a routine session for her as this has been her first calling since being aboard the Senbu. Upon arriving a short distance from Shizuka's door, Mizu ran a careful palm over her hair and uniform. Maintaining standard appearance was as important as ones position of profession. Remember, calm. Serene, don't lose focus. With those thoughts of courage, Mizu lifted the back of her hand to the door, giving a rhythmic tap-tap-tap, alerting anyone within of her presence just outside.

“Your appointment will take place once the one within the office is finished, please standby,” MEGAMI answered the door.

Mizu remained outside the door entry, although choosing to do so while pacing from time to time, allowing her gaze to fall back to the door from time to time. As well, Mizu would fold her arms behind her back and lean against the wall across from that of the Shosa's office, anticipating someone to emerge from the room.

“I see,” the Geshrin said, making a note of Hara’s response on the data pad. He hadn’t been asked very much more than that by Shizuka during his own interview, so was at a momentary loss as to what to ask the new Yamataian armor pilot from here on, but was able to quickly think of a question after quickly reviewing the man’s service record again. “Ah, I see you served aboard the YSS Asuka,” Nicholas began, glancing at Shizuka as he paused before he began speaking again, “When that vessel defected to the traitorous United Outer Colonies, what were your reasons for staying loyal to the resplendent Yamatai Star Empire?”

Shizuka gave Nicholas a small smile of encouragement, but her enjoyment of watching him suffer a little shined though. She then dispelled her sweet smile and returned her expression to one of more professionalism as she turned to wait Hara's answer.

Hara blinked. He had been expecting this question from the beginning. “This body isn't my original one," he began, focusing his eyes on the man, while retaining the most passive expression he could. "Originally, I was Geshrin. At the time, the Species Restriction Act was still in effect. I wanted to do this. I wanted to so I could serve Yamatai. Not those secessionists."

“And you are commended for your loyalty,” Nicholas said nonchalantly, sounding like a party official from some long-forgotten totalitarian government. He could respect the Santô Hei’s answer. Although Nicholas himself had simply ignored the SRA, he knew that certain commands had been stricter than others; several of Nicholas’ cousins had done the same as Hara had. “Alright, Saruwatari-hei, next question. How do you think that your previous experiences as a power armor pilot for the Star Army prepare you for the threats that the future presents to our beloved empire?” he asked, already struggling to think of what to ask after that.

Shizuka shifted in her seat, straightened her posture. She tried to catch Nicholas' eyes, once she did she nodded subtly to let him know that after this question she was ready to ask hers.

Hara was relatively inexperienced, thus this question posed some trouble. "I've engaged Mishhu, and have been aboard one of their battleships previously. I have some experience concerning their… tactics."

Nicholas nodded, interpreting Hara’s response as best he could. After a few moments of note-taking, he looked back up to the Yamataian, smiling genuinely. “Thank you, Saruwatari-hei, those are all of the questions I have for you,” he said before turning his gaze to Shizuka. “Now, I believe the Shosa has something to ask you herself.”

Shizuka edged forward on her chair, placed her elbows on the large desk and interlaced her fingers. "I have a placement in mind for you Saruwatari-hei, but in order to have you there. I need you to give me an honest answer." Shizuka's large amber eyes locked to his, as she watched his every movement to gauge his answer. "If you were in a situation where you could save a crew member's life and have to abandon a mission, or complete the mission and have the crew member to never be able to return, which would you choose? This, of course, is keeping in mind that perhaps the member could not be brought back, by any technology." Shizuka's signature question was now out on the table, no more cards hidden in the interview.

Hara thought deeply. Shizuka’s gaze was somewhat unsettling, and he nervously shifted before locking his gaze on her nose. "Accomplishing a mission is important, but at the cost of your allies’ lives is something that I would never like to experience. Assuming the success of the mission does not determine the fate of more lives, I would choose to save the life of my crewmate."

Shizuka's very serious expression was softened almost instantly as she gave him a big smile. "Perfect!" she said ecstatically. "I'd like to have you join the Senbu's lead wing, the Pride Wing. It'll be a lot of work, and you'll not only be representing the ship but me as well. Are you prepared for such responsibilities?" she asked, with a much less intimidating look on her golden-tanned complexion.

For a split second, Hara's expression changed to one of surprise. "Yes, ma'am!"

PAUSE

Re: Downtime:

Unpause

The short interview with Hara had just finished and the eager Yamataian male exited the captain’s office with new stations and orders in hand. He made his way off towards the lift, thus letting the next interview start, which would fall to either Kuriko or Shin depending on who arrived first after receiving the summoning orders from the captain.

In the captain’s suite, Shizuka just turned a big grin up to her XO, playfully enjoying the emotions played out over his face. "So, how do you feel?" she asked, curious to how Nicholas was after his first interview.

“It was easier than I first expected, Shosa,” Nicholas replied, “but it was still difficult for me. That was my first time, after all.” He sighed, leaning back in his chair as he stretched. The newly-ordained Shoi was glad that the interview was over. “Did I perform well?” he questioned.

Shizuka's smile didn't fade, his words just made everything a little more amusing. She did wait a few moments, to allow his thoughts to collect, to see if his words would replay through his head. But then with the knock on the door, it meant that they should really get back to work, so instead of playing with poor Nick a little more, Shizuka turned her eyes to the door. "You did wonderfully, so wonderfully that I think you can handle this one too."

Shin walked off the lift, checking to make sure he was on the correct deck. Seeing he was indeed in the right place, he knocked on the office door.

Kuriko exited the lift as well, curious as to why she had received a summons to the captain's office. We've already been debriefed... the Neko thought as she approached Shin's back. It was then that she noticed Shin again. "Ah! Nekki-Hei, how are you doing?" Kuriko asked.

Shin turned around, surprised to see Kuriko again, "Oh, K-ko, It's good to see you." Shin bowed to the Neko. "I'm here the see the captain. Apparently she wants to interview me about something."

"Sumimasen... but for now I think perhaps Shifuda-hei might be best," Kuriko said to Shin. "Eh?" Kuriko wondered as she looked down and felt her communicator vibrating. "I got a message…" she murmured as she read the summons to Shizuka's office. Looks like I'm already there, Kuriko thought happily as she waited.

"Shifuda-Hei it is, then. I suppose we'll be waiting out here for a while, until the captain says she wants to see us." Shin shrugged, taking off his glasses and wiping them off.

All the while, Hiroko had sunken back into her reading again, waiting. What is it that she read so much of anyway? Who but her would even know?

"Santô Hei; Nekki Shin. You may enter," MEGAMI told the Yamataian as he approached the door which then opened wide for the Hei to enter the lavish office where the ship’s two highest administrative officers sat, waiting to meet with him.

Shin bowed, and then entered the door, saluting to the captain and the XO. "Santo Hei, Nekki Shin. You requested to see me, Shosa?"

"Indeed I have. I make it a point of mine to meet every single member of this ship and be there for their interview. To which I will now hand you over to the capable hands of my executive officer. Shoi, he’s all yours." Shizuka gestured to the pilot in front, leaving Nichols nameless so he could introduce himself.

Kuriko watched as Shin entered the room, and once the door had shut glanced back over to Hiroko. "What are you reading by chance?" Kuriko asked curiously.

Hiroko looked up again and tilted the little computer pad towards Kuriko. It was showing a veritable wall of text. "The Critique of Pure Reason. It's very... very... VERY dense."

"Oh? The Critique of Pure Reason, huh? I've read excerpts of it before, what do you think of it so far?" Kuriko asked as she mentally tried to remember exactly what it was she had read from that book.

Hiroko somewhat shook her head. "It... well, I really wish he had half the clarity of language Lao Zhe or Confucius did. It's interesting philosophy all the same, but..."

"I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the works of Lao Zhe, though Confucius isn't unfamiliar to me, what is he known for?" Kuriko asked, her interest piqued by Hiroko's knowledge in the field.

Hiroko smiled, knowing that Lao Zhe was actually her favorite philosopher. "Ah, well, he's one of the central writers in Daoism. Supposedly. Something of a legendary figure. Daoism is... a bit long to explain though. Emptiness, action through reflex, and the idea of there being a 'Way' within nature itself are parts of it."

In Shizuka’s office, Nicholas smirked for a moment. If the young Geshrin didn’t always appear so cold and distant, it might have been more noticeable. No rest for the wicked, he thought before looking at Shin, sizing the new crewmember up quickly. “Greetings, Nekki-hei,” he said. “I am Nicholas Saiga-shoi, and as Endo-shosa mentioned, I am the Senbu’s XO.” The Shoi paused after introducing himself, thinking of what to ask Shin. “So, Nekki-hei, let us begin. How do you feel about working closely with others?” he asked, using the same opening question he had during the last interview and had seen Shizuka use in every interview before that.

"Saiga-shoi, I believe that working with others is one of the most important parts of being an effective soldier in the Star Army," Shin stands completely still, at attention as he answers the questions, "As is staying on friendly terms with all crewmen onboard the ship."

“It is indeed,” Nicholas acknowledged, referring to the first part of Shin’s answer. What the man had said made sense; Nicholas himself had said practically the same thing. These questions didn’t really matter, anyway. Only Shizuka’s last one carried any weight as to the placement of an individual. “Now, Nekki-hei, second question. What motivated you to join the glorious Star Army?”

Shin relaxed slightly, thinking about the question. "I joined the Star Army to make a difference. A soldier's duty is not to protect any single minority. No, A Soldiers duty is to protect the people of Yamatai. All the people, not just the rulers."

The Geshrin Shoi smiled a warm, accepting smile at Shin’s answer. He could not disagree more, of course. One’s duty was to maintain the Empire’s supremacy from whoever stood in the way of its progress, even it were the people of Yamatai themselves, but he knew that Shizuka was probably liking the answer. “I have a question of technical importance,” Nicholas said after looking over Shin’s record at length. “Would you be opposed to getting a body transfer? The power armor wings on this vessel use the Mindy as their preferred suit.”

"Sir, in all due respect, but I already got a new body once. I would be against getting another one when the Daisy can do just fine." Shin smiled at the XO, starting to get a bit cocky.

Shizuka raised a brow, glancing the soldier over once. Her expressionless face took on a very unimpressed look, which because of her lioness-like features made it so that it looked like his words struck a nerve and triggered the pissed off look on the CO's face.

“I understand your reluctance to receive another body transfer, and am well aware of the Daisy’s capabilities,” Nicholas said plainly, looking Shin in the eye. “Those are all of the questions that I have for you,” he continued, preparing to finish his portion of the interview. “I believe that Endo-shosa has something she’d like to ask you, though.”

"I do have a very important question for you, but before that one, I have another. How many body transfers have you had?" She interlaced her fingers together, leaning forward on her elbows as she looked up into the Yamataian’s eyes with her own soul-piercing amber feral orbs.

Shin glared at the captain, making direct eye contact with her. "I have had only one body transfer in my entire life. Captain, if you believe that because I am not a Neko that my combat performance will be sub par, you are mistaken. I am a soldier of the Star Army of Yamatai, and I must always perform at more than 100% efficiency."

Shizuka stood to her feet and walked briskly across the floor to the Hei, and instead of remaining in her current retained self, she grabbed the scruff of his uniform tightly and looked him deeply into the eyes with an uncommon fury. "Listen here, boy!" Shizuka roared. "Are you that stupid, that you cannot comprehend that we simply wanted to make a smaller form of your current body?!" Shizuka was very angry, not just because of his ignorance, but because of his attack on her character. "Look, do you see a Neko standing here in my office serving as my XO!?" She stated, pointing out the Geshrin man sitting inches behind her. "On my lead wing is a Yamataian woman, serving as their teacher is another Yamataian, I have never held someone higher in regards because of their race, if you’re the one thinking this way about Neko, then you are the only racist I see here in this room." Shizuka clenched her fist a little tighter, giving the Hei a stern look before pushing him away roughly with that same hand.

Shin still glared at the Captain. "Shizuka Endo, such actions are not befitting of a captain of a Star Army Vessel. While it is true, I did offend you, I meant no harm. However, we did not come into this to discuss politics. One of my closest friends on this ship, Shifuda-Hei, is a Neko," Shin cleared his throat. "Captain, I will prove to you that I am worthy to be a member of this ship's crew, and then some."

Nicholas stood, not wanting the situation to escalate any more than it already had. “Nekki-hei, you are in no position to state what is and is not befitting any member of the Star Army. You yourself are in violation of the Star Army’s Universal Code of Military Law, Section 2, Article A: Disrespect toward superior commissioned officer,” the Shoi said officiously. “A nonjudicial punishment will be lodged against you, and a reprimand will be entered into your record. Additionally, you will be assigned extra duties at the discretion of this vessel’s Master-at-Arms.”

The Geshrin then directed his attention towards Shizuka, laying his hand on her shoulder and leaning in to whisper in her ear. “Perhaps you should finish up with him now,” Nicholas said as quietly as he could, “or perhaps you could ask your question another time if his presence bothers you now.”

Shizuka was a few more letters from losing herself in a quick lesson of hard knocks corporeal punishment on the ignorant Hei. Turning away sharply as Nicholas quickly rose to defuse the situation, "This interview will conclude at a later time. Get him out of my sight," Shizuka said in a low growl making sure the boy could hear her. Nicholas’ hand on her shoulder kept her from turning around, he could probably feel the tense muscles forcing her to stay in her spot under his palm.

Shin saluted to the captain, stepping back calmly, bowing before exiting her offices. Smiling, he turned to Hiroko and Kuriko. "Well, It was nice knowing both of you, Hiroko, Shifuda-Hei. I'm being transferred away from piloting, instead, I’m gonna be a janitor or something. Could you tell Ushimo-Hei I’m sorry I couldn’t meet her for our sparring session?" Shin bowed to the both of them.

Hiroko... just blinked. But, she didn't say a word to Shin. He had not left a good first impression on her, and even if she understood why he was like that... She somehow was not surprised by any of this. She shrugged.

Kuriko looked confused as she bowed back to Shin. "Un," Kuriko responded. Unfortunately, Kuriko had no clue who Ushimo-Hei was, though she was already looking through the personnel listing to find all the people that matched that last name. Why is he going to be a janitor? Isn't he a pilot? Kuriko wondered, Well, Endo-shosa did say she likes to meet with everyone on her ship anyway. Maybe he just misread his orders or something, Kuriko thought silently.

Shin smiled, scratching the back of his head. "Well, I'm not sure if I’ll be a janitor, or just plain executed. Me and the captain got into an argument. So, if you could, just please tell Ushimo-Hei I’m sorry."

Hiroko still didn't really pay attention to Shin, maybe because if he was right she wasn't really going to see much of him anyway, but she did put two and two together. "Ushimo... Santô Hei Ushimo Sakaki, last of three recruits myself and Shin included. That's who."

Kuriko's eyes widened. "What did you say?!" the Neko squeaked out before remembering that it was rude to ask that question. "Sumimasen, ah, yes...we can let her know," Kuriko said.

Shin stretched a bit. "Hey, Shifuda-Hei, what's wrong? You act like you were surprised by something." Shin genuinely looked worried, placing a hand on Kuriko's shoulder.

Kuriko looked confused at the Yamataian that stood over her. "Nothing's wrong...it's just I haven't ever heard of Endo-Shosa getting that angry before," Kuriko said.

Back in the confines of the captain’s suite, the Shosa and her XO remained. "Nick..." Shizuka faintly spoke his name, one of her hands came up to reach up to his uniform and clutch tightly at the material. "I just couldn't take it; I... was going to hit him," Shizuka said, sounding almost afraid at what she planned to do. The softer side to the big blonde haired Neko coming out in closed doors.

“Ahh… Shosa… I,” Nicholas struggled. Shizuka’s actions had caught him totally off guard. Back at home, he was taught to interact with others using the utmost formality, even amongst the closest family, and this was the Star Army, an organization that he had always expected to be at least as socially stringent. The fact that she was acting so familiar with him confused the Geshrin, but he managed to find some words to say, if not the right ones. “Don’t worry about that, S-s-shosa. You have proven to be an exemplary leader up to this point… and… what happened today doesn’t change that.”

"Thank you, so much Nick, without you... I don't know how I would manage all of this. I have a small request; don't let your goals take you from me... please," Shizuka asked. Her strained voice seemed almost pleading in her emotional state, but she’d be too proud to admit it. "Captain, you are requested at the bridge." MEGAMI's monotone, almost careless, voice broke the moment; Shizuka let his clothes go and turned to face the door. "I'll be there in a moment, be sure to advise the current command of that," Shizuka ordered the ship's AI aloud, and then she turned to Nicholas. "And you Officer are in violation of the Star Army's Universal Code of Military Law; I believed I ordered you to call me by my first name." Shizuka offered him a softer kinder smile, hinting that she would rather hear his words of assurance with her name instead of her rank. "I leave the last interview to you completely; you may ask my question. I'll meet with the pilot when I can." Shizuka then smiled once more and turned sharply towards the back exit to her office and made her way to the bridge.

At this time MEGAMI contacted Kuriko. "Your appointment has been pushed back to a later date when the captain is more available, she also wishes to send her deep regards and apologizes for the inconvenience."

As Kuriko spoke to Shin, her communicator interrupted them again. When Kuriko flipped open the device, she saw the message from MEGAMI. "Saa... I need to get going anyway."

Shin let go of the Neko girl, hands at is sides and bowing to her. "I understand Shifuda-Hei. It was nice to know you, at least," and with that, he ran off, making a lap on the current deck and entering the lift.

"MEGAMI... he's not going to die is he?" Kuriko asked telepathically as she headed back into the maze that was the ship. After a few minutes Kuriko would find herself in her room changing herself into her workout uniform before heading to the gym for a little while.

“No,” the MEGAMI replied simply.

Nicholas simply bowed as Shizuka departed her office, still somewhat shaken from what had happened. It would be awkward to conduct the last interview of the day with the incident surrounding Shin Nekki in his mind, but he would get it done, it was his duty. “MEGAMI, please admit the waiting Santô Hei,” the Shoi said aloud, and not a moment later, permission to enter was relayed to Ishida Hiroko.

Hiroko quirked a brow slightly at the notice, and bowed slightly to Kuriko. "I myself have to take my turn." At which point she wandered into the office, and bowed slightly, not remembering the correct way to conduct herself in this kind of situation.

“Welcome,” the Geshrin Shoi said, “I am Nicholas Saiga-shoi, the ship’s executive officer. Endo-shosa is, unfortunately, needed on the bridge, so I will be conducting the entirety of your interview today.” Nicholas took a seat at the desk at which the other interviews had been conducted. “Please,” he commented, gesturing for the Yamataian girl to take a seat.

Hiroko nodded, and moved over to the seat, reclining slightly. "I see, and that's perfectly fine. Saiga-shoi is more than acceptable for an interview."

“I would hope so,” Nicholas chuckled ingenuously; he seemed somewhat distant. “Down to business, then. What is your opinion on working closely with others, Ishida-hei?” he asked.

Hiroko had... it wasn't a smirk, really just a slight turn to the lips that made it a bit more than a mere neutral expression. "It'd be rather silly not to. It takes ridiculous levels of skill for one person to equal even a small unit of only good skill, when that unit works in perfect harmony."

“I see,” Nicholas said, acknowledging that he was listening to what she had to say. “That’s something Shizuka would like,” he murmured to nobody in particular as he made notes on the data pad that was sitting on the desk in front of him. “I see here that you joined the Star Army very recently and that this is your first post after initial training; welcome to the ranks of the Empress’ finest,” the Shoi continued. “What motivated you to enlist in the first place?”

Hiroko returned to a bit more of a deadpan look. She wasn't sure if she could even state this delicately. "Because the Star Army is quite likely the most respected thing in all of Yamatai. I can't hope to aspire to much as a librarian, but as a soldier... I can. But... at the same time I am conscious of what the SA does to earn that respect."

“What the Star Army does to earn its respect are nothing but the most honorable and compassionate acts,” Nicholas stated directly, “Remember that and you will indeed fulfill all of your aspirations for your career.” Thus far, the Yamataian girl sitting before him had met all of what he’d expect Shizuka to want in a member of the Pride Wing, so he figured there was no need for any more of these probing questions. “Ishida-hei, let me congratulate you for doing so well thus far,” the Geshrin said. “Your answers have gone a long way in showing that you are the type of solider that Endo-shosa wants for the special assignment that you are being considered for. That being said, I must ask you one final question, expressly upon her behalf,” he took a pause in order to remember precisely how Shizuka had stated the question before continuing. “Given a situation where you are in the position to either save the life of a comrade and fail your assigned mission or to complete the mission and have their life lost forever, which would you choose?”

Hiroko smiled, knowing the answer immediately. Like the sages said - nonaction, don't even stop to think. "Comrade. It'd take one hell of a mission to make me even think, not to mention even consider, anything else. On the scale of world devastation, I'm talking here."

“Excellent,” Nicholas said with a grin, “You are exactly what Endo-shosa is looking for.” The Shoi stood, expecting her to follow suit soon after. “Pending her final approval and review of the transcript of this interview, you are hereby part of the Senbu’s Pride Wing.” He bowed ever-so-slightly to her in recognition of this achievement. “As I said earlier, being a part of the Star Army means you are amongst the Empress’ finest. Being a part of the Pride Wing sets you apart even further. Congratulations.”

Hiroko bowed deeply, happy to get not just the assignment, but a rather prestigious one. "Thank you, Saiga-shoi. Truly..."

Nicholas nodded. He hated the final question, and wondered how many of the others had lied during their answer as he had, but was glad that it wasn’t as hard for him to ask as he’d expected. “If there is nothing else, we are finished here, Ishida-hei. You will be contacted when the Shosa is ready to introduce you to the rest of the wing, until then, you are given liberty and are free to use all sections of this vessel not restricted to you. Dismissed!”

And with one final bow, Hiroko stood up and walked out with a bit of a liveliness to her step... subdued as it'd be.

PAUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back