• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Senbu Ep 14 - Mission 4: Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.

5tar

ON: YSS Senbu

The next day's sun rose up over Yamatai, which by now was 18 light years away from the Senbu and her crew. They found themselves a day's flight away from the edge of the Ketsurui Nebula, which meant they would be coming up on their target soon. There was plenty of commotion as the ship that never slept was going through its next shift switch.

Masako would be out like a light in her quarters still, sleeping in her nightgown while cuddling an old teddy bear, totally dead to the world outside her door.

Sakaki had been going over her usual day of exercise, training, etc., only with a bit more tension. Ever since the simulation battle she had been having doubts about her ability. With this she had been more aggressive in recent exercise that one could even hear the wind of her kendo practice sword as she swung. On this morning she was already practicing her sword in the rec room, swinging her Katana and not the kendo sword.

Rin slept a bit unsoundly, tossing and turning throughout the night as she still thought about the results of the simulation battle. It was hard to stomach loss, even if it was a virtual one. Still, the soldier managed to get up early as usual and go through the morning routine, trying to focus on what she could do well and move on with things. Even without a specific task in mind with the looming battle far off, the young woman still got dressed in her daily duty uniform and headed out into the deck hallway, deep in thought.

Kuriko rolled out of bed the next morning with her head lightly ringing. She hadn't consumed copious amounts of alcohol, but she had consumed enough to make her wary of drinking for a little while.

Still in Kuriko's quarters was a devilishly handsome sandy blind armor pilot, although a little lackluster of his previous grace as he was passed out on a chair in the corner, his head lulled over the back of the chair and his arms and legs hanging over the edges. He was snoring a tad, but not enough to be a nuisance.

Kuriko looked on the Heisho sitting there with a mixed look of gratitude and pity. Has he been here the whole night? Kuriko wondered as she quietly moved around and gathered her bathing supplies. Just as she was about to open the door, Kuriko quietly put down her tote and went over to her desk where she pulled out a piece of paper and wrote the Heisho a quick thank you note Unsure of what to say, she settled for a simple “Thank you” and her signature at the bottom with a heart to the right, written in a fluid cursive with a little heart at the end. Unfortunately for Jack, Kuriko had the handwriting of a doctor, so the word would probably be barely legible.

As the Hei stepped out of the room, she paused. I think I need to relax, Kuriko thought before resuming her walk, though with a different destination in mind. The Heisho quickly composed a message as she clopped along in her sandals on her way to the elevator.

Message said:
To: Pride Wing
BCC: Saiga-taii
All members of Pride Wing, especially those that participated in yesterday’s training exercise are encouraged to meet in the hot baths on deck 28. This is not a mandatory event, though it will allow us to relax together as well as socialize with each other. I believe that after yesterday’s events it is something that we all need.

<hidden viewable to Saiga-taii, Endo-shosa>
While I certainly don't have the authority to order you to come, the offer is extended to both of you as well.
</hidden>

With that Kuriko got on the lift and set about the difficult but not impossible task of remembering what she did last night.

Sakaki halted herself mid-swing, then sort of nodded to herself and continued. She was already on deck 28 so she had time to get some of her inner anger out of her system by then.

Hiroko, on the other hand, had woken up and just didn't feel like leaving her quarters. Still dressed in a nightgown, she was sitting, reading a tract of some sort when she read the message. "...We have hot baths?" She blinked, putting down the tract. Maybe she should go... Maybe she should go. She needed to do SOMETHING with the unit.

As she slowly walked across the quarters deck, boots clacking, Rin paused by the door of Sakiyurai-hei, hearing the sounds of slumber from the unlocked door. Coming a bit closer, she reached out to push open the portal with a white gloved hand, peering in at the rather adorable sight of the power armor pilot cuddling a teddy bear. "Masako...?" murmured the Yamataian, unsure whether to disturb her further with how late in the morning it was already.

Masako groaned a bit and rolled over to turn her back to Rin for a moment. "Ngh… 5 more minutes sis... it's still early..." she muttered in her sleep. In a moment, though, she'd seem to remember where she was and sat up slowly and yawned, setting the teddy aside. "Huh? Oh, morning Rin." Masako said, rubbing an eye as she did and eeped at seeing the volumetric display of time. "Oh crap, I'm late aren't I?" she pouted a bit and stood up, the non-regulation sleepwear hugging to her curves and the bountiful bust line she possessed.

Rin nodded, feeling a bit strange at being so casual with names suddenly, and returned more to her proper decorum when it was apparent the Neko wasn't sleeping too soundly. "Er, yes it is a bit late Sakiyurai-hei, I thought you would appreciate a wake-up call," replied the Nitô Hei as she moved to back out of the room respectfully. " It also appears.. that we have been summoned by the Heisho, if you take a moment to check your messages," added Rin, having just realized that there was one waiting for her too in that instant.

Masako nodded to her and watched the door slide shut and went about her own routine to get dressed in a duty uniform of a stretch uniform and continued to stretch herself out, an old habit. "Thanks for the wake up call Hoshitomo-hei." she said through the door as she hopped around, trying to get a boot on and crashed into a wall, losing her balance. "Owie..." she sighed and got up slowly once she was fully dressed. She certainly had a flair for showing off her figure even though she didn't totally realize the impact it had on people. The door would open to let her out as she left the room. "Yeah I just read that. Did you want to go down there or do something else?"

Hoshitomo-hei looked to the side a bit, closing her eyes for a moment. "I believe this is a good chance for us to come together. Since yesterday's defeat, we have lost, rather than gained, some of our espirit-de-corps due to misgivings that have arisen." She then directed the blue gaze towards her door. "I will be going, and I encourage you to do likewise."

Meanwhile, during all of the rushing and bustling, Hiroko had changed into her off-duty yukata, and began calmly walking over to deck 28 where the hot baths were... This would at least be relaxing...

Masako blushed a bit. "I'm not entirely comfortable with bathing with others," she said and sighed. "Besides I'm not dressed for that..." the blonde said.

"Oh? It is a venerable Yamataian tradition you know. I am a bit surprised you would be uncomfortable with it..." mused Rin, considering. "The yukata is the standard outfit for going to the hot baths, and you can use your towel if modesty is a pressing concern. The areas are also usually segregated for the sexes," added the soldier to her comrade, "But I won't force you to do so, of course."

"Thanks but... I think I'll pass for now," Masako said and nodded. "I've never been one for tradition, you can't move forward if you keep peeking back at the past," she said philosophically. "Sorry Shifuda-heisho, I don't think I'll be joining you. I'm not comfortable bathing with others," She telepathically responded to Kuriko's message.

Rin lowered her head a moment then met Masako's gaze with hers, her tone becoming more empathic. "As you wish. But remember that without the past to build upon, there would be no future." Having said her piece, she excused herself and made for her own quarters to prepare.

I have so many doubts that have risen, thought Sakaki to herself as she continued her practice as she waited. I call myself a warrior, yet I did not act like one. I am sure the others consider me a kind of coward now; with how I act I put forth something expected and yet had not reached that expectation! The last simulation I did not do anything against the enemy, and if the next engagement does not go well... Sakaki then stopped a moment to rest and contemplated on recent events. A Hot Bath, I never had one before... I wonder if the Shosa will be there too... She began to blush at the thought of it but continued practice with her sword so no one around would notice her short emotional weakness.

The lift was slowly going up the decks when Kuriko got the message from Masako. "Well, I don't want to force you or anything Masako, but if you want to be more comfortable with doing something like this, then you'll have to do it sometime; better now with wingman than later with strangers. Besides, I don't know if any of the male members of the wing will be joining us,"[/i] Kuriko replied as she stood idly waiting for the lift to arrive.

Modesty wasn't a pressing concern for Masako, in fact she enjoyed hot baths like that and was starting to think about it, but yawned, leaning tiredly against the wall next to her door. She was debating if she'd go or not as she watched Rin head off to go back to her quarters to prepare to go herself. It was the curse she'd always bore, keeping herself out of things that might be fun and build up friendships because of her own sense of apathy about it.

As was almost becoming ritual, Hiroko arrived near the lift when Kuriko was waiting for it, too. "Ah, Shifuda-heisho. We keep using the same lift."

Kuriko thought about how she would respond before she did so. "Ano, Ishida-hei. We're off duty, you can call me Kuriko if you'd like." Kuriko looked at Hiroko's garb and started to speak again. "Did you sleep well?" Kuriko asked as she tried to start up an amicable conversation with the Hei.

Hiroko shrugged. "As best I could... I think I have a hangover though... Not used to drinking..." She held her forehead for emphasis at that point.

The doors of the lift swooshed open after the lift came to a halt. "You and me both," Kuriko said sympathetically to Hiroko as she stepped out of the lift. "Hopefully the bath will help that a little," Kuriko suggested.

Hiroko nodded as she moved forwards towards the baths, nodding. "I hope so."

Also in the lift was a young Yamataian male with right-parted pale blondish hair with dark shades on wearing a tan duster over his uniform showing the panel color of a technician under the open light coat. "Hmm? Oh, morning ladies," he said politely to them and stepped back to make room for the Pride Wing members. His rank pin on the collar labeled him a Nitô Hei.

Rin wasted no time in slipping into her white yukata and sandals, fiddling with the black sash. It had been quite awhile since she had worn this specific outfit, spending almost all of her time in more military-oriented styles and practical uniforms. Staring in the mirror a moment, she idly thought back to her parents and her childhood when she had often worn this around the house with her mother. Where did the years go? It almost felt as if Rin had lost time somewhere… or perhaps she had been moving so fast with her career that she let it slip by...

A glance out of the corner of her eye also spied the bouquet still sitting on the table and a part of her wondered if Shin would be there. Well, she would just have to deal with it if so... but a part of her wished to relax without worrying about him trying to sneak a peek or other nonsense! Grabbing a towel to take with her, she then began the trek down to the rec deck, taking a different path than before to tour more of the ship, the little navy-blue prints of her yukata shifting as images of Yuis and Chiharus danced with Anris and Nozomis.

Sakaki considered it time to head to the recreated hot spring and gathered her sword and put it back into place in its sheath. The back haired Neko would then bow to her fellow Wing members as she headed to the baths.

Shizuka and Nicholas had enjoyed a relaxing evening after the events in the simulator area. The drinks they shared did not really have a profound effect on the Shosa, instead she seemed to allow some of the alcohol affect her to the point of losing a small bit of inhibitions, just enough to find herself talking freely without too much concern. They didn't cover anything important, just talked about nothing and everything all in one evening. It was morning now for them too, and Shizuka was still fast asleep wrapped in the blankets while she took up a small corner of her big bed, curled up into a ball like a cat would.

Nicholas was asleep as well, uncharacteristically for the time of morning that it was. The previous evening was the first time he’d been able to drink in a long while, and enjoyed being able to while he could. When Shizuka had invited him back to stay with her after they’d finished, the Geshrin accepted, more out of his inability to navigate himself to his quarters alone than anything else, and lay soundly on the opposite side of the large bed from the Shosa. He woke up not too long after Kuriko’s message was received on his data pad, reading it through hazy eyes and a mild headache. Figuring that the commander would want to know, he rolled himself over to her, becoming aware that he was still wearing his full uniform as he did so. “Shizuka…” he said, gently pushing on her shoulder in an attempt to wake her.

Nichloas' attempts at waking the sleeping Nekovalkyrja starship captain seemed to be rather useless. She was quite a heavy sleeper, and going to bed after such an eventful day didn't help matters much. His shaking only caused a small mummer, but other than that she seemed to be down and out. With the peaceful expression on her cute feline features, it looked like she could sleep through an earthquake.

The Taii scowled at the lack of success in his efforts to wake the Shosa. He hated having to wake her from her obviously comfortable state, but he knew that she would want to know about Kuriko’s message whether she would end up going or not, but he was her XO before any other capacity their relationship carried. “MEGAMI,” he said officiously, looking up to the ceiling as he addressed the AI as he had a habit of doing, “please sound the Shosa’s alarm clock now rather than its regularly appointed time for today.”

"Any and all simulated alarms for Endo-shosa have proved to be useless. In her file it notes that the only way to awake her is to use her analog alarm clock, I however cannot comply with your orders, Taii for I cannot access it because it seems to be not digitalized in any way, MEGAMI responded promptly to Nicholas. The alarm clock in question was in simple design with two gold colored bells atop a round faced clock, sitting on the edge of the Lioness' bedside table. It was the one she had previously thrown across the room and destroyed, yet now it looked like it had never been damaged.

“Thank you, MEGAMI,” Nicholas said flatly, staring at the old clock sitting beside the bed with the same unpleased look still on his face. He reached over Shizuka, doing his best not to fall on her as he grabbed the timepiece and sat back down. The Geshrin’s family may have been traditional and old-fashioned, but even Nicholas had no idea how to work the alarm’s mechanisms. After what was far too long, he managed to set it to a minute from the current time and placed it back on the bedside table.

A few minutes ticked by and then the annoying, loud, and very distinct ringing blasted from the small device. A roaring, displeased groan came from the Lioness as she lifted a hand to search tiredly for the device on the bedside tabletop. Her hand lifted a few times and missed, she seemed to give up as she went limp a moment burying her head under her pillow. But because the ringing didn't stop, she'd eventually sit straight up in a huff and swat the loud device so hard that it slammed against the wall and broke into various parts. The glass, though, seemed to be in once piece; ingeniously she had previously replaced it with the clear metal that they used for the windows in the Star Army. After that display, she plopped back down into her pillow with another annoyed growl.

“Ah, it’s good to see that you’re awake, Shizuka!” Nicholas said jovially, his sudden fear of the Neko’s rage quickly dissipating into amusement. “Kuriko-heisho has invited us to join her and Pride Wing down in the onsen on deck twenty-eight,” he told her, thinking it best to quickly tell her Kuriko’s message in hopes of alleviating any anger she may still have from being woken up.

Shizuka groaned once more and took her pillow and swiftly threw it into Nick's face. It was fast, but not hard enough to do much more then shut him up for another few seconds. Miffed that he found delight in her sleepy demise, however cute she must seem at that moment, didn't really seem to make her any less cranky. "What time is it?" she groggily asked, after taking a few moments for her thoughts to collect and meld into a sentence, or rather a small phrase.

“Quarter past ten,” Nicholas replied simply, throwing the pillow back to Shizuka.

"I guess it'd be a good opportunity to spend some time with them..." Shizuka paused to lazily crawl over and lay her head in his lap. "...But I would have enjoyed a few more hours in bed," she said the last bit as she nuzzled her head into his leg and shifted her small body to get comfortable, only dressed in a dress shirt which she wore normally under her uniform jacket plus a pair of standard issue black panties. She didn’t enjoy sleeping with too much clothing, finding them constricting and too warm when under blankets.

Nicholas was somewhat taken aback by Shizuka’s actions, even though he would have expected to be used to her affection for him by now. Where he grew up, physical contact of any kind wasn’t something that was done lightly or regularly, and it was difficult for him to get over that. “Ah… yes, Shizuka, more sleep would have been nice,” he agreed awkwardly. “Kuriko-heisho needs your support now, though. Without it, her efforts to become a better leader may fail.” He still believed that the Heisho should be able to instinctually perform her duties, of course, but realized that she may need some help to get past the indoctrination of the job that she was created for.

Shizuka nodded a few times, knowing that Nicholas was right. Besides, the Shosa did want to spend more time with the wing. "Alright, I guess I can head down there." Shizuka slowly pushed up and sat up on her bed a moment and stretched her curled hands high up over her head with a long and satisfying yawn. She then bounced to her feet and snagged her crisp standard issue white yukata and slipped it on over her current outfit. "You should head over to the bridge and check if they need you over there, I think it's mostly going to be the girls down there, so I don't think it'd be best if you came along," Shizuka mentioned as she shuffled over to him and kissed his cheek before heading on her way to her office compartment.

“But Kuriko-heisho asked me to come, Shizuka…” Nicholas said as she left the room, his voice trailing off at the end. The Taii didn’t care so much that he wouldn’t be able to interact with Pride Wing, but was disappointed that he wouldn’t be able to enjoy the onsen bath. Soaking in their waters was one of the Geshrin’s favorite things to do, especially because he quite enjoyed doing nothing, something he hadn’t been able to enjoy much lately. Rather than pester the Shosa on the matter further, he stood up and followed her into the office portion of her suite to prepare himself before he made his way to the bridge.

On deck 28, Kuriko lead herself and Hiroko into the baths, where she picked a locker and started putting her things into it. "Do you go to the baths often?" Kuriko asked Hiroko as she checked over everything one last time before heading over to the showers.

Hiroko shrugged, putting her own things into the locker as well. "Ah, no, I don't. I don't go much of anywhere that often. I haven't been in the military routine you know... so I tend to just stay alone and read."

Rin eventually made her way to the lockers where everyone was assumed to meet up, giving a curt bow and a thin smile to her commander. "Shifuda-heisho, sorry I am a bit late. I could not persuade Sakiyurai-hei to join us."

Sakaki silently placed her katana in a locker and stripped down and put her cloths in, nicely folded. She then headed to the shower, while listening to the others’ conversation.

Kuriko paused, re-opened her locker and slid out of her yukata before heading over to the showers as well. "You’re not late. It wasn't mandatory anyway," Kuriko said as she sat down on the small wooden stool, turned on the shower, and began to clean herself, paying special attention to her hair. Kuriko seemed to be taking her time, mainly so that the other members of the wing wouldn't feel rushed themselves.

Sakaki likewise began her shower and silently hoped to wash away her doubts. Maybe if I was a Nekovalkyrja made for war, I would not have these doubts... she continued to contemplate. She had by now removed the string that kept her hair up in a top knot, letting the black hair fall down her back. She hadn't let her hair down in public in a long time, as it was part of her self image she wanted of herself.

Hiroko was also showering at about this time, but her mind was... more conveniently distracted. She was borrowing a little Zen to get herself in a more relaxed mood – so she was imagining an object of impossible shape, trying to explore its curvature and form... and grabbing the occasional lock of hair to make sure it got all clean...

Rin indeed caught the non-rushed atmosphere the Heisho was trying to nurture, and took her own time disrobing by the lockers and entering the showers to wash off first with a quiet nod to Sakaki and Hiroko on the way there. She then let the cool waters rain down on the short blue-green hair she had, and proceeded to wash herself down. It was of particular note how methodical she was in even this mundane of tasks... apparently she applied the “excellence in all we do” stereotype even down to her hygiene.

Eventually Masako would meander her way down to the hot baths herself, deciding it would just be a good chance to relax and make friends for once. She understood that the reason why she never had any in the past was because she didn't put herself out there for people to know. She'd show up there in the navy-blue yukata with the black obi wrapped around her waist with her hair pulled up into a tight bun on the back of the head. "Ohayo!" the blonde greeted everyone in the changing room cheerfully and would find an unused locker and began to simply remove the yukata to head for the shower, keeping her back to everyone and let it slip down around her shoulders.

Kuriko smiled when Masako entered before she started to finish washing herself and then proceeded into the bath room, where once she reached the edge of the bath she slowly lowered herself in, before sliding off to the side so that others could enter the water as well.

“Changed your mind?" floated a digitized message from Rin to Masako as she finished up the mandatory rinse, and walked over to join Kuriko in the bath. As she did so the towel she had brought with her which was wrapped around her thighs was unwound and carefully slipped around her damp hair instead, enhancing the image of Rin as the polite and conservative woman as her modest figure soon became largely submerged into the relaxing waters up to her chest to get used to the temperature.

"Yeah, well I figure that it's a good chance to get over my own shyness and make some friends," Masako telepathically replied to Rin and lost her clothing to go into the shower area, blushing darkly as she "bounced" a bit. She'd find a shower to use close to the others and pulled her hair free, the honey-blonde length falling down around her knees as she did.

Sakaki was finished with her shower, though she stayed in it for a longer period letting it pour on her, after which she turned the water off. She then stood up to head to the bath and stood at the water's edge for a moment. Gathering her thoughts, and not wanting to look like a cat afraid of water, she descended into the bath, found a nice spot to sit in, and closed her eyes to relax for the moment.

Rin slid over a distance and found a good location to wait for the others while she tried to let her stress go. Kuriko could almost see the lines of deep worry the serious Yamataian always seemed to wear slowly fade, like the water was leeching her problems out of her pores and leaving just a simple woman in a bath in its wake. "The water is better than I expected," commented Rin to no one in particular as perhaps an attempt to break the ice between the Pride Wing.

"Un," Kuriko agreed quietly, herself submerged up to her neck. Kuriko sat there for a little bit, enjoying the warmth of the water and just how relaxed it made her feel. Eventually her mind wandered to something she had thought of the night before. I really have been just making up an excuse this whole time, Kuriko thought as she leaned against the edge of the bath. It's time that I completely accept who I need to be, and stop resisting it. Kuriko's eyes were shut as she thought this, but when she finished she inhaled deeply. What will we do now? Kuriko wondered as she waited for Masako to join them in the bath. "What do you think, Ushimo-hei?" Kuriko asked. "It's relaxing no?"

Masako would cleanse herself in the shower so she wouldn't screw with the water in the onsen itself and walked through the doors out into it, wrapped in a towel, but would relinquish it as she stepped into the hot water and blushed a bit, purring softly as she slid down into it. "Mmm it does feel good."

Sakaki turned to her fellow black haired Neko and replied, "It is, I never imagined it would be this nice." She honestly felt all her stress flowing out into the bath, though still felt worried and confessed to her superior officer, "I apologize for my performance during the simulation Shifuda-heisho. I should have followed orders and not with my poor judgment."

Kuriko sighed. Now is as a good of time as any, the Heisho thought before speaking again. "Yesterday was a good experience. For all of us. We found out what we need to work on." Kuriko paused again; she was starting to notice that she had this annoying habit of pausing a lot. "We weren't ready once the sim started for anything to happen. We anticipated we would have time to deploy, I think now we realize that it's simply not the case. The enemies ideas will be the same as our own: reduce the enemy force count as fast as possible to minimize losses. From the start we lacked cohesion and didn't function as a unit but as a group of individuals. I had my own shortcomings though, I had seen this tactic used against us before and didn't even think twice about ordering you all into that ship. Even if it hadn't been rigged to blow, that was a bad idea, as any number of things could have gone wrong. So the fault lies with myself as well." Kuriko fell silent to watch everyone's reactions.

Rin sighed a bit as she turned to face the Heisho. "I agree that we do have to cooperate. In a real battle the squad that functions as a team increases the odds of survival and effectiveness several times over. Our fellow wings demonstrated this very well in the way they assaulted the Vampire vessel with great discipline." Pausing a moment, she closed her eyes. "I mean no insult; this is simply the truth of where we stand. I believe the Shosa has thrown us together for the express purpose of unlocking that potential to surpass our peers... if we can only put aside our ironic 'prides' and egos to become worthy of our title."

Hiroko blinked, realizing she had had a bit of a reverie... "Ano... We seem to have the capacity to work together, but for some reason we don't actually pull together. We seem to get confused easily, and even when there are orders they seem to become mere footnotes. What... What can we do?"

"Well it comes down to the fact we just have to think about how each of our abilities can compliment the others'," The blonde said, her hair splaying and floating on the surface of the water. "That's the real truth of cooperating with each other."

Though it was my second fight in armor, I had high expectations of combat that became false. Maybe I am ready for it now... Sakaki thought to herself. She found herself nodding to what the others were saying but still feeling the shame. Then Sakaki spoke up, if not rather nervous sounding, "Maybe... we need to create a bond?"

Hiroko quirked her eyebrows, speaking very tentatively. "A... bond?"

Kuriko smiled, it was moments like these where the inner psychologist within her squealed with glee. "Un. A bond. Something to tie us together, something more than what we have now," Kuriko said quietly, backing up Sakaki. "Do you have anything in mind?" Kuriko asked curiously.

Sakaki lightly blushed, though she convinced herself that it was the hot water causing it. She was a little embarrassed to be placed on the spot like this, but answered, "Maybe... watch a movie?"

"Bah," Masako said. "There's no bond stronger than family," She stated to Rin and stuck her tongue out at her playfully.

Masako smiled at that and thought about it for a moment a projected a mental image of hugging to them. "I already have a twin sister but it may be best if we think of each other in that way," she said. "If we consider each other sisters... family… we'll automatically begin thinking in ways to work together despite our personality differences," Masako suggested.

Rin remained calm and rational, trying to approach the issue at hand in a proactive manner. In a way she had to learn to swallow her own pride a bit, and focus on the greater team. "My father had told me that the strongest soldiers fight not for themselves, but also for the lives those beside them... facing death together can forge bonds sometimes even greater than a sister."

Sakaki lowered herself into the water in reaction to Masako's comment, as she wished that were to be the truth. If it were, she wouldn't be on the Senbu, though she remained quite about it.

Hoshitomo-hei shifted a bit to glance sidelong at the busty Neko, her voice taking on a slightly less serious undertone. "We are already a family, we just have to become more comfortable with that fact I think..."

Masako giggled a bit and looked over at the two of them. "Yeah... group hug?" she suggested in a somewhat childish tone. "I'm pretty sure we could all use one."

This was a topic Kuriko felt quite comfortable talking about, with the group unaware the entire discussion had drifted into Kuriko's specific field of sociology and interpersonal relationships. "There certainly is something to be said about relationships formed in the face of certain death," Kuriko said solemnly as she mentally recalled war story after war story that she had read about the topic. "A Family is a tight-knit unit, but when you know your actions could cause those next to you to die and theirs cause you to die, you become closer as you realize... as you realize that without the other you would certainly be dead, and that if they die so do you. Sometimes this bond is even closer than family. To trust your whole being with someone else, that's what facing death as a group can cause. That's unity." Kuriko's voice had a soft but solemn tone to it before she realized what she was saying. "Un, group hug," the Neko agreed. "I think we're going to start some intense group building. Maybe even starting with another impossible scenario and a movie after it," the Neko said before joining the hug.

Rin sighed again, but she didn't exactly make any moves not to be involved in a group hug either. For the sake of her team and the mission she certainly wouldn't refuse such a gesture At least they declared their intentions for contact unlike some other people which were not present...

Hiroko was silent for a bit, before eventually shrugging and joining the hug. "...Maybe...."

Masako would start off by scooting over and gently hugging Kuriko and Rin and nuzzled them affectionately before giving Hiroko one as well. "It's nice I think."

Sakaki joined in, though a little embarrassed as her image as a warrior cracked a little.

As Rin was giving the others a respectful embrace, she got a bit startled when the Neko started actually nuzzling her in cat-like style, as the Yamataian awkwardly patted her fellow pilot's head a couple of times at a little bit of a loss at how to return said affection. She was apparently very bad at it.

Masako would purr a bit at Rin's patting and would pass around the nuzzling to everyone, blushing a bit as her sizable breasts smushed against their own, seeming to add to her seeming joy.

Hiroko actually twitched slightly, feeling a bit... well... compressed now.

Kuriko gently hugged everyone present then returned to her spot on the wall, and once the hugging had slowed spoke again. "We do need a bond, something to hold us all together. The battlefield is one such place for a bond; hopefully it will extend to more than just that though. We need to get good at being a team and not a group of individuals. How do we get there?" Kuriko asked, she had some ideas but wanted to hear the rest of the Wing's opinions first.

Hiroko backed off to the wall as well, holding her chin a bit in thought. "Though, what if it's not quite rapport? It seems it's less an ability to want to cooperate, and more... an inability to understand what one another is thinking. Am I at all right?"

"Y-yes... a movie, perhaps," struggled Rin to get her train of thought back on track, looking a bit out of her element with all the sudden bonding going on of a different nature than she envisioned. "We need to find a common ground. A place, an activity, or such. Small traditions can evolve into great things. There's also the matter of defining each of our roles and specialties also, that we do not work against but rather compliment each other so that no effort is wasted."

Hiroko snapped her fingers. "Roles! That's it!... Besides, I'm not much for movies. But we need some fair clue of what it is we're supposed to be doing."

Sakaki returned to her spot before the embarrassment got to her, the last thing that could kill Sakaki now would be if the Shosa arrived. "We... really don't all need one common thing. Just small things grouping each of us..." Sakaki suggested, though meaning from now on having to socialize more.

A few moments after everyone had broken up, the door sided open to the bath area and the Shosa stepped in with a big toothy Lioness grin on her face. "Morning ladies!" Shizuka greeted them all happily as she sauntered herself over to the bath, her tanned supple body was relatively curvy for her tiny stature, with sizeable hips to match her chest it would appear that the small CO had a nice hourglass figure in shape under that uniform. The only thing left on her was a gold necklace with a lion charm in the middle, an iconic symbol of the Shosa's persona.

Masako had given everyone a good boob hug and backed off to her spot near the wall and sank down to conceal her chest a bit, feeling embarrassed at her affectionate display. She liked the other members of the wing and was comfortable enough to do that at least. She looked up at Shizuka and blinked at her and giggled a bit and brushed her wet hair out of her eyes. "Hey Shizuka-shosa!" she said in a friendly tone.

"Shizuka-shosa..." Sakaki silently greeted, wishing she was shorter so to hide in the water better. The picture of her plush toy giving a cute "rawr" came to mind and tried to look away without seeming disrespectful.

Hiroko tilted her head to the side and looked at Shizuka with... a very, well, minimal smile. "'Lo, Shizuka-shosa."

Kuriko looked up and bowed as best she could to the Shosa. If Shizuka could read Kuriko's mind she would read a small amount of surprise, she figured that the Shosa would have been busy, but this was a good thing anyway. "Ohayo gozaimasu, Shizuka-shosa. Come on in, the water's great," the Heisho offered.

For her part, Rin had never quite seen this side of the Lioness before, and did her best not to shrink into the water too much before the mighty bellow so she could give a respectful nod of her toweled head to the commander. "Shizuka-shosa..." gasped the young woman for a moment, before containing her surprise. "Yes, please do join us." Although as she echoed the invitation, the Pride Wing could pick up her true thoughts on the matter as she sent them telepathically, "If we are a family, then this is our mother. For good or ill."

"Without a doubt," Kuriko telepathically responded firmly, one of the few things she was sure of.

With a small hand gesture the Shosa motioned for Kuriko to sit back down and be at ease. "Don't mind if I do..." Shizuka said in a happy inward voice as she settled in somewhere in between the Heisho and Rin. "Ahh... this is perfect!" she exclaimed pleasantly as she slipped into the water and placed the folded towels which were tucked under one arm into the water, the objective was a little clearer as she sat down and was at eye level with most of the group with the boosted seat.

"We were just trying to figure out how to bond more as a group instead of individuals," Masako chimed cheerfully to let the Shosa in on what they were doing. "You missed a group hug, though."

Hiroko... flatly commented. She almost wanted to roll her eyes a little. It was a good gesture but at the same time she had... not gotten much from it. "Hrm. Yes. You did..." Her tone picked up a little more, though. "Bonding, well, is part of it. It's also that we don't seem to respond together... very... coherently."

Well this was interesting. They almost were shooting at each other yesterday, and now Rin had the honor of being one half of the Shizuka sandwich in the hot bath. She was a bit unsure how to proceed, as several things scrolled through her mind as she tried to sit up straight and not blatantly admit she was in said group hug a moment ago, trying to preserve her image in front of the Shosa.

"Hugs?" Shizuka asked out of surprise. The Shosa was defiantly not expecting anything like that. "Well, that's surely a wonderful way of bonding!" she said with a hearty laugh, finding the situation to be amusing in a good way. "I'm glad everyone's getting along then, that's great," Shizuka commented with a pleased smile. "So, I spotted you guys drinking with the Gold Wing afterwards, how did that go?" she inquired, feeling rather interested at how the personnel interacted. She wanted to know how well they’d get along and who better to hear it from then the pilots themselves.

Hiroko tilted her head one way, then the other. "Got drunk, talked to some guy with the call sign phoenix. Chatted about us doing crazy things, he tried to sound impressive. It wasn't. Ergh, then hangovers ensued." The somewhat... uninterested tone suggested that Hiroko hadn't really gotten anything out of talking to Phoenix back the other day, and also was not amused about her hangover.

"I actually didn't drink," Masako said before slipping down and dunking herself before coming back up, smoothing her hand through her hair, some of it still laying on the surface of the water. "I don't like alcohol, but the Gold Wing people were nice enough, though one called me both "crazy" and "relentless," she smirked. "I actually stayed after for a while and meet a few of the engineers which reminds me..." Masako said and turned to Kuriko. "One Nitô Hei Chiyoko wants to take a picture with you and Mizu at some point," she said.

"Yes, it was an experiment," finally admitted Hoshitomo-hei without getting too red in the face, "but we are definitely going to continue to work on improving unit cohesion utilizing a variety of methods both in the field and off of it." It was actually almost funny how she was trying to talk to the commander in a business-like manner, as treating her overly casually even in an onsen still seemed inappropriate.

Kuriko's cheeks turned a little red at the mention of Gold Wing. "I got a little drunk myself unfortunately. I can't seem to hold my liquor either; I think I threw up all over the floor a few times before Jack took me back to my room... I think I fell asleep on the way back." Kuriko was about to continue until it dawned on her just what Masako had said. "What?" Kuriko asked curiously, she didn't know a nitô hei by the name of Chiyoko, and she suspected that Mizu didn't either. "Why?" Kuriko was kind of confused as to why someone would want someone they had never met before’s picture.

"Well she was a young Neko and apparently idolizes you two as the CO and XO of the Pride Wing." Masako smiled. "She's a cute girl though," she said and projected a hologram of what the little Neko engineer looked like, hovering over the center of the onsen.

PAUSE

Unpause

The Senbu continued its cautious pursuit of the pirates, bodily chasing the two Chiharu and the Vampire they had been facing since their first days. It was an exciting hunt no less, with combat looming ever closely and the pirate world of Halna so close that it would shake the spirits of even the bravest of ship captains. The bridge staffs were on edge and the Geshrin XO was there to lead them through their first steps into the unknown on the other side of the Ketsurui nebula. But meanwhile, down in the middle of the ship, ignorant to the dangers waiting outside the ship's hull, the Pride Wing and their Shosa were enjoying a pleasant soak in the ship's onsen.

Shin was not, however, enjoying the soak. In fact, no one had seen him for the past few days. It was clear now: he had been in his room, sitting in the lotus position, meditating. There were burned incense candles all around him, and he was apparently floating a centimeter off the ground.

Nicholas had been on the bridge for some time, not really doing much as he dwelled on Shizuka not allowing him to go to the onsen. Neither of the two commanding officers had been on the bridge very much since the end of the last battle, so he didn’t think too deeply into the “why” behind her order for him to go to the bridge, more focusing on the fact that he was not there now.

The low buzz of conversations and relaxed orders being handed out down the command chain was broken as a sensor's operator found reason to report directly to the XO. "Taii, we're detecting a massive debris field one-eighth of an AU from our bow. It appears to be a mass of various ships of classes from all known factions and some we cannot identify." The young, sharp-eyed Neko operator left a hand on her controls as she turned to face up at the Geshrin to await further orders.

“Thank you, Heisho. Send the information to those power armor teams currently optioned for standby,” Nicholas replied as he made his sitting posture less relaxed. Although the report wasn’t anything especially important or directly threatening, the fact that something was said to him gave the XO reason to snap to attention. The Senbu’s decreasing proximity to Halna helped make his awareness a bit more urgent, too. “Send the Third Standard Fleet an update of our current coordinates,” he ordered after checking their position on the star map. “If something goes wrong, I want them to know that it’s happening in their territory.”

In the bath on deck 28, Kuriko wasn't sure how to respond to what Masako said. I'm idolized? the Neko thought with a measure of skepticism and surprise, What do I do now? "I-is that so?" Kuriko asked bashfully, obviously unsure of how to deal with the situation.

She's as cute as a little bear! Sakaki anguished as her blush deepened and the sight of the engineer. To hide her embarrassment, the black haired Neko closed her eyes as a disguise that she is relaxing.

Hiroko... was mostly just soaking. Trying to just enjoy the bath...

Kuriko decided to file that little bit of information away, she'd take care of it in the future. "Ano, Endo-shosa, do you know any good ways to build unity?" Kuriko asked her superior. Kuriko knew Shizuka was good at bringing people together, after all she was the captain of quite a large ship, and was sure she knew more than anyone else about something like this.

Shin's eyes snapped open, coming out of his trance. He stood up and got a change of clothes, looking over his telepathic messages and seeing he had missed a lot. Sighing, he opened a telepathic channel to Kuriko. "Shifuda-heisho, I have been gone for two days. I am sorry for not informing you. Could you please put in a request to have two Kylies shipped to the Senbu for Pride Wing? You should probably talk to Endo-shosa first, though. I am currently on my way to the onsen. Nekki-hei, out." Shin shut down the telepathic comm channel and changed into his yukata and sandals, walked out of his quarters and headed down to deck 28.

Meanwhile, Hara had just finished writing a letter to his family. The hot baths were just asking for trouble, but he had wanted to get to know his wing better. Still... he made for his door before stopping and pacing back to his bed. "I had to write a letter to my parents" didn't seem like much of an excuse. Frowning, he exited his room and headed for the recreational deck.

Shin passed by Hara and waved to him as he walked by, rushing to the lift. He entered the lift, and immediately headed down to deck 28. Oh, what horrors awaited him there…

If Shin were heading where he thought, at least Hara wouldn't be the only guy down there. Finally reaching the lift, he began the trip down to deck 28. Once he stepped off, he slowly made his way towards the designated area.

In the onsen, Shizuka raised an interested brow at Kuriko's question; she settled a little into her spot and leaned back with her arms crossed under her sizeable breasts as she took a moment to consider an answer. "Well," the Lioness started as she collected her thoughts, "the most important way to go about it is to learn about one another. Your strengths and weaknesses: discuss them and open up to each other. These people you’re sitting with now are going to be the ones flying beside you in battle. Its best you know everything about one another, because when you go deep into the middle of combat, any one of you here will be depending on the others. So to put it simply, make some time to talk with one another, like this or in another, quiet; personal environment." She nodded once afterwards.

Kuriko nodded to Shizuka, her answer made sense after all. It actually fit the Captain's philosophy quite well too. Kuriko leaned back further and relaxed again. "Nekki-hei is coming to join us," the Heisho said simply. "He made an odd equipment request as well; I'll have to look into it. Though, he did ask me to ask you about it first Endo-shosa." Kuriko didn't sound the least bit surprised when she spoke, though she was a little surprised by Shin's sudden request for Kylies.

Shizuka's relaxed exterior seemed to slip a little at the mention of Shin. With a long sigh and a moment of dipping her shoulders, she took in what peace she could. "I think it'd be best if you forward those requests to my inbox. I’d rather not think about them for the moment..." The Shosa seemed to groan the last bit out before she slowly rose up out of the baths. "Actually for now, I think I'll take my leave. It's been a pleasure ladies, but I think I should get up to the bridge," she said all this with a polite professional smile as she walked over to where she had set aside a towel and went about wrapping it around herself. "Feel free to leave me a message any time girls, I'd be more than willing to do this again," Shizuka said happily with a small bow of her head before leaving.

Just after the Shosa left Pride Wing, Shin sped ahead of Hara, walking at a brisk, speedy pace, turning into the onsen... and seeing his female squad mates helpless. The smile faded from his face, being replaced by a nervous blush as he disrobed, bathed, and then attempted to shyly slide towards a lonely corner of the onsen. Oh, this was such a bad idea.

Why is he in such a rush? Hara thought, leisurely undressing. After a quick shower, he made his way in as well. His first instinct was to slip in as far away from the women as possible. Eyes drifting to the corners showed Shin had apparently adopted a similar mindset. Settling in a spot nearer to Shin than the girls, he sunk deeper into the waters before murmuring a "hello."

Rin said her farewells to the Shosa, actually a bit disappointed the little shared moment was so brief, but her advice was sound. They had to learn more about each other indeed. But as Shizuka exited the hot bath waters and suddenly Shin arrived, the thawing Yamataian got a bit colder suddenly. She greeted the pair with an unremarkable nod, and did not make direct eye contact with Nekki-hei.

Shin sat there, sitting in the lotus position, his towel covering his lap. "I'm not saying anything. If I say anything, the girls will call me a pervert."

Sakaki bowed slightly as the adorable commander of the Senbu left. With that anxiety out of the way, here came the men of the Wing. With her promise to herself to create bonds, she then asked Shin, while ignoring his outburst, "Well, is there anything you enjoy doing Nekki-hei?" The wannabe samurai was probably one of the few who did not know Shin all that well, with only being in contact personally in a limited scale.

Shin tried to not look down. He really couldn’t help it, but it happened, and the blush on his cheek grew wider. He spoke, his voice trembling a bit. "I don't want to say anything, in fear of being called a pervert. But, if you must know, I like the color orange, noodle based dishes, citrus fruit, and martial arts. I have no interest in any of the women in the squad, whatsoever. So any rumors you hear about me being a pervert are completely false." Shin promptly turned away from the female members of the squad, trying to regain some of his dignity.

Kuriko sat there as she realized that her mentioning Shin had soured the mood. "Sumimasen, Endo-shosa." Kuriko said with an apologetic 'voice' to her CO. Kuriko didn't have long to think before Shin and Hara showed up. "Relax Shin, nobody has called you a pervert," Kuriko said, though hearing the fact that there were rumors concerning that made her cringe a little and want to sink perhaps a little lower into the water. "How about you Hara?" Kuriko asked, trying to use the Hei's given name instead of his family name. "What do you like?"

Hara looked up towards Kuriko. "Ah... grrr...." he began, before coming to a stop. "Music, drawing...nothing interesting," he said. "Not like anyone here would know what Great Dynamic Guardian Valion is, anyway..." Hara muttered.

Shin grumbled. "Yeah, I've heard of it. Too bad it got boring."

"Are you serious?" Hara said, shifting his gaze to Shin. "Not even when Valion went up against the Guaron Empire, and split the Guaroid in half with it's Final Dynamic Lion Buster?"

Shin grinned. "You're right, that was awesome. Hah! These girls probably think we're talking about porn or something."

Kuriko's ears perked out of the water when Hara said music and drawing. "Oh? You like music and art? Me too!" Kuriko said excitedly. "What is the Guaron empire?" Kuriko asked confusedly after Hara and Shin began talking about the entertainment program.

"The Guaron Empire is a race of evil robots that lived in the center of the galaxy. After arising from their 1,000 year slumber, they began their reign of terror against the Briusan Federation," Hara said simply, as if having memorized it by heart.

Shin began smiling, following up on Hara. "Valion was created by a brilliant team of scientists and is powered by the hope of the people. It's the invincible Guardian, Dynamic Valion!"

"You should have grown out of such childish heroes by now," commented Rin with a frown, sinking into the waters up to her chest again just incase the fellow pilot was going to try any more advances. "Why go on about some fantasy war when there are conflicts right in front of you to make your own legend out of?"

Shin looked and Rin then sank back into himself, frowning again and turning away from the rest of the squadron, mumbling. "Because I want to keep hope."

Sakaki lowered her head to hide her blushing; she had a character she liked from that show when she watched it in her early life. Specifically a hero in the show that was a handsome guy that always seem to have glittering teeth that she enjoyed to watch, though that was before she discovered samurai shows.

Hara raised himself up a bit. "What's wrong with holding on to something from your past? We're pilots, but you can't let everything revolve around that."

Kuriko responded to Rin, "People enjoy fantasy, Hoshitomo-hei. It gives them a taste of life they may never experience," Kuriko said before looking back toward Hara and Shin. "Interesting," the Neko said to the pair of males. More interesting to Kuriko was Hara's outburst of course; the Heisho mentally recorded it for review later.

Rin folded her arms a moment and gave a sidelong glance. "Saruwatari-hei..." It looked like she was going to argue, but Kuriko's intercession caused her to give pause and reconsider. "I apologize, but I was not allowed to indulge in such fantastical pursuits as a child – being in the Star Army has been my only dream after hearing the stories of my parents, a fantasy I am now living everyday of my life." This statement was at the least very telling of her hard working outlook.

Shin sighed, thinking about getting up and leaving. Instead, he sat there, and tried to make small talk. He asked Sakaki a question about something he had noticed about her. "Sakaki-hei, why are you always blushing and looking away from things?"

"Hmm?" Sakaki replied, wondering a bit if found out, then calmly stated, "It's only the heat in the bath is all, Nekki-hei" She mentally wiped her forehead as she had that response ready for the entire time she was in the hot spring. She then replied saying, "That show you were speaking of, I watched it as well. However, I then began watching samurai shows like The Tsukihime Warrior and The Heisho: Valley of Dissent."

Shin visibly and audibly growled at Sakaki; he wasn’t going to have his answers dodged. "Oh no, It's not just in here! You do it a lot more than in the onsen! Give us the real answer, and please don't try to change the subject." Shin smiled at Sakaki, trying not to sound overly confrontational.

Kuriko was starting to feel overwhelmed again. "Hoshitomo-hei, not everyone has had as strict of an upbringing as you have. Believe it or not, you participated in a fantasy yesterday during the training sim." Kuriko looked at Hara and Rin. "Regardless, though, fantasies have been proven to be quite useful for many reasons. Though the effects are many, some benefits from watching such shows include things such as a higher ability to relate to a diverse group of people, as well as potentially a better capability of dealing with stressors. Like anything else though, it has cons as well." Kuriko wasn't trying to argue with Rin, but she didn't want to witness an argument between the two people either.

Sakaki sat quietly then stood and replied, "That is the truth Nekki-hei. Excuse me." Ushimo-hei then moved to the locker room. Not even the hot bath could wash away the emotion, but didn't feel comfortable being in the hot bath along with Shin anymore though she tried. However, she entered without a towel, not that she knew much about modesty when she entered the baths in the first place.

On the bridge, one of the other operators, a male Yamataian, sat perplexed at his seat as he tapped his display a few times. "Uh, why won't it send?" The brunet male tried a few other options, but still didn't get any results. He sat up from his seat and leaned forward to talk to someone from the ships' internal operations. "Shoi, do you know why our communications seem not be getting out?" The pink haired female he was talking to simply shook her head and investigated the situation.

The Neko Shoi with long pink hair and gray panels took a few moments and then put though a request to sensors to optimize a sweep for anything in the area which could be hampering their long range communications. Her worries were correct; she turned in her spot to call up to the Geshrin XO. "Taii there seems to be a series of devices in debris field which are disabling any long range communications from this area. We didn’t notice it up until now sir." Clearly it was apparent that they were in a pirate web, now the only thing left to do was figure out how to move without disrupting the web enough to evoke the spider hiding in it.

“Helm, bring our stellar elevation up by twenty degrees on an acute trajectory,” Nicholas commanded calmly, the order being the first thing that came to mind. He was trained to be a communications technician, and while he could probably get around the jamming network, simply getting out of its range was a quicker solution. “Put the remaining Vermillion teams on standby,” he added as his anxiety over their situation grew.

"Yes sir," a voice responded above the others to Nicholas' orders as then the ship began elevating and making the course corrections that were ordered. At this point, while the ship began to move to reach the top half of the clutter, they were greeted grimly by a familiar sight. The two Chiharu flagships rose up above the other wrecked ships, the clutter breaking over their shields as they did so. It was an intimidating sight to behold, both massive vessels matching the Senbu's elevation speed. The bridge went silent a moment as everyone watched the massive view screen with held breaths, then a voice broke the silence, the sensors operator from before called up with urgency. "Vampire-class vessel decloaking one-eighth of an AU off our starboard stern!"

Nicholas’ eyes widened as their mammoth foes appeared on the bridge’s main screen. Visions of death and defeat flashed in the Geshrin’s mind, and the idea of retreat seemed like their best option at this point. When it was announced that another ship was behind them, his hopes for an easy escape vanished. “Launch all standby armor!” he barked immediately after the Vampire decloaked. Activating the ship-wide communications system, he relayed a familiar order to the crew, “Attention, all personnel: This is the first officer speaking; please report to action stations immediately; this is not a drill. Repeat: report to action stations; this is not a drill.”

On deck 28, Shin sat back, arms crossed, his brow furrowed. He was positively fuming. He spoke up again, about to go on a tangent, "And another thing – Oh fucking damn it!"

Rin deferred to her Heisho's words without too much complaint, though when Shin suddenly confronted Sakaki and this resulted in her sudden departure from the onsen, the Nitô Hei's attentions once again turned to him with a disapproving frown. "Can't you ever approach something with some tact, Nekki-hei...?" began Rin in a condescending tone, but fortunately for Shin it was abruptly cutoff by the Taii. The animosity towards him was quickly forgotten as she stood bolt upright in the water, the towel still covering only her teal hair.

Without a word, Hara shot out of the bath and into the lockers, drying of hastily before pulling his clothes on and rushing to the lift.

Sakaki was drying herself with a towel when she heard the message and went into fight mode. The Neko instinctively put on her uniform and launched toward the lift, not forgetting to drag her almost useless sword with her, though this time she had duct tape stowed along with her armor.

Kuriko unconsciously glanced up and sighed audibly. Perhaps this was the best thing anyway. Kuriko slid out of the bath, careful to not expose much to the males present and ran into the changing room where she quickly put on her yukata. "Don't bother with uniforms," Kuriko said hastily. "We'll just have to take them off anyway."

Shin jumped up, following Hara, and changed into his yukata, then rushed ahead to the lifts. I'll prove that I’m not a failure.

Kuriko followed behind the small group that was heading for the lifts already. "Sigmund, it's time for another session. I think we'll make more progress today," she said to her AIES as she moved.

Hiroko finally woke up from the brief post-hangover nap she had and jumped with a start, almost immediately springing out of the bath... only stopping to turn back and grab a towel before sprinting out with the rest of the wing, her hair positively whipping behind her.

Hoshitomo-hei didn't quite care if Shin was given an eyeful at the moment as she leaped out of the bath; there were more pressing matters. Casting off the towel, she threw on the yukata from the locker and made haste towards the lifts with her compatriots. "This is the reality for us," commented the soldier, embodying the sudden sobering of the mood. The fantasy of their bath had come to an end for now.

Shin entered the lift, waiting for his comrades to catch up. "There is no time to tarry. We must protect the ship!"

On her internal inbox, Rin finally received her response from the Shosa. "Prove to me you are worthy of clashing with me headlong in battle first, and you will get your duel." This meant that the Hei now had to impress the Captain, a prime motivation for someone like her.

The lift was soon full of the Pride Wing members and launched off toward its destination. Minutes later, the doors opened allowing the members of Pride Wing to spill out toward the hangar where their armors were. Engineers were running back and forth in a mad rush to reach combat readiness. All of the pilots’ armors sat in the same configurations they left them, all clean and ready for launch.

Sakaki swiftly began to log in to Tsukihime, and duct taped the katana where it wouldn't be in the way of a hand hold, but could be used if necessary. She had requested her armor to be outfitted like the one in the simulation, as she never had practical use of it during that time. Jumping in, she was absorbed in the fleshy interior and connected with her SPINE, feeling one with the war machine. "One more time Tsukihime, may the moon shine on our victory," she said to herself while heading over to the handhold bin to grab a Saber Rifle.

Rin was nearly to her armor as she became aware of the message broadcasted to her from the Shosa. There was no need to reply directly, other than with a simple affirmative send back... Shizuka already knew all too well that this would be interpreted as a direct order and acted upon immediately by the Hei. The reason she had kept the towel about her head in the bath also became a little clearer, as her largely dry hair made it easy to don the pilot's helmet and avoid water interfering with her HUD. Always prepared, eh.

Hiroko made her way to P'u, boarding the armor as the rest of Pride Wing made their way into the bay. Displays and awarenesses shot to life, and she made it a point to try to get her hands on a Saber Rifle, remembering the sim battle from before... "This time, I will not fail. This time, there will be no tricks. This time... we will fight together."

Shin ran towards Byakko, suiting up in the Daisy. He couldn’t help but smile, though he knew his chances of survival today were slim. Byakko, we might not live through today, So let us fight to our heart's content. We'll rise from the West, Living up to our namesake, The White Tiger! Shin was smiling happily as he grabbed his armor's plasma rifle.

Hara went through the same routine as usual as he boarded his armor. The load out from the last battle would probably suffice for this sortie... assuming they were needed. "Suzaku. Let's try to make it back in one piece."

Kuriko walked in front of Sigmund. "I think it's time that you opened up again, Sigmund." Kuriko's finger slid gently down the invisible seam that would open the armor. The Neko let her yukata fall off of her shoulders and onto the ground before stepping into the armor. "It's good to see you again," she thought as the armor shut around her. "Everyone, use the same configurations as the simulation. We'll give that method another go. If you weren't in the simulation, report to me for your configuration. Shin, Hara, standard load outs will do nicely," Kuriko said over the comms.

Hiroko nodded at the command, configuring her armor to use the "Bobcat" configuration. With luck, she'd actually use its power for a successful mission. She would be ready!

"Shifuda-heisho... there is no way to know how many armors those Chiharu may deploy or their firepower. Unless you have orders to the contrary, I will use the modified shrike configuration from our simulation to increase survivability and act as a force multiplier." Whether she received authorization or not, she was already programming the bay to reconfigure her Mindy's attachments with a second gauss gun and the BSM module in the precious few moments they had to prepare.

Shin stayed silent, sending only a brief telepathic signal to Kuriko that he was ready. He was idly checking over his suit's systems to make sure everything was in order.

"Hara, can you snipe well?" Kuriko asked the Hei as she was trying to formulate a plan on how to integrate the two Daisys into the formation.

"Ah… I wouldn't exactly say I’m proficient at it. Sorry," Hara replied.

"Shin, can you snipe well?" Kuriko asked, she needed to assign one of them to sniping, but wasn't sure which. Hopefully the choice would work out well.

Shin responded with a simple, "No." He went back to checking his armor, making sure it was up to snuff.

Having polished away her armor’s battle scars herself, Rin shed her yukata and stepped into the fleshy core of the as yet unnamed Pride Wing power armor like someone who was donning their honored battle dress. The muscular insides stretched once again and massaged her flesh, slowly stoking her adrenaline levels as the Nitô Hei conducted a systems check and ambulation calibrations. The whole squad got the distinct impression on a subconscious level that she had become unusually intense for an as-yet-unknown reason.

As Pride Wing manned their armor, mission OPs on the bridge were quickly active as they went about the situation and setup. "Vermillion Wing teams one through four are now deployed in out tactical field. Team Five is still configuring for launch." Interchangeably another mission OPs officer then called up with her team on the ready. "Remaining Obsidian Wing teams one, two, three and five are ready and are on standby for launch." Then, at this point, Pride Wing’s lovely Navi-heisho happily glanced over her screen and then announced to her section commander that the Lion Knights were suiting up. "Also," the Heisho added as she leaned in with a grin, "the Shosa has prepped to take a team of our shuttles and has assigned them as Pride Squad's zero-two; let's see if the Taii catches anything.”

Nicholas had been busy prepping the Senbu for war, ordering all of the ship’s weapons to be powered up and released. As the readiness reports came in, he would wait to launch any more power armor until the enemy made a move and would keep those teams already out on combat interception patrol until they were needed for another task. “Operations, report on this shuttle team attached to Pride Wing,” he said, noticing as he reviewed their force disposition for deployment. “And MEGAMI, please ask the Shosa to make haste to the bridge. I would hope that she would not want her ship under my command for two major engagements.”

The operator was just about to answer the Taii when his communicator beeped with an important chime to it. She paused as she waited for him to answer, knowing that his questions might be answered as she suspected who the communication was from.

In Pride Wing’s bay, Kuriko noticed the assigned shuttle to her squadron. "Shin, Hara, you're both riding shuttle until we engage. Your assignments are close range combat. Shin, you and Rin are buddies. Likewise Hara, you and Sakaki are buddies." Kuriko decided that long range support would have to come from them, or the Senbu if at all. Kuriko breathed a sigh of relief when she was done talking.

Shin grunted, not happy one bit with his teammate. She was still probably pissed at him for accidentally kissing her. Damn bitch wouldn’t accept his apologies if he tried.

Not entirely satisfied with her modifications, Rin's mind continued to race at how to prepare for this engagement in the most efficient way possible, considering what they might go up against. With her attention occupied, she only briefly acknowledged the assignment of the Heisho and had not the effort to spare venting at him. "Nekki-hei, now is the time to prove me wrong about you."

At this point, Kuriko received an update on her AIES display. New Team Assigned: 02; Composition – 5x Fox T4 Combat Aeroshuttles. New orders: all Daisy pilots are to prepare for boarding operations and now are to report to board shuttle five and are assigned to Pride Wing Squad 03 under command of Shosa Endo Shizuka. Be advised, shuttles 1 - 4 are filled with highly volatile munitions. Pride Wing's objectives will be to escort Shuttle Team 02 into Chiharu 01.

Kuriko read the orders; at first she thought maybe they were crazy. But orders were orders. "Shin, Hara: new orders. You're now assigned to Pride Wing 03, you're to board shuttle number five. Don't get in any other shuttle. Everyone else, we've been assigned a mission. We're to cover the shuttles until they reach target Chiharu 01." Kuriko wasn't quite sure how she should have the load outs changed.

"What... that... that is... insane," responded Rin to the orders with disbelief. "Of course, I expect nothing less from Endo-shosa."

Shin smiled at Rin through the helmet. "That is If I don't get killed first. And it was an accident, what happened in the gym." Shin shut off the telepathic link, heading to Shuttle 05

"...Affirmative," Hara said, heading off towards his designated shuttle. "Good luck, everyone..."

Sakaki did sort of a double take in the direction of Rin and Shin with a raised eyebrow and a look of "did I miss something?" then just continued to set up to launch. "As you command Shifuda-heisho, Ushimo-hei is ready to go," she stated as she waited to launch, kneeling to the ground.

Rin leaned down with her Mindy towards the panel beside it, her plan slightly altered with this new stipulation. She had to protect Shin from such a suicidal charge and clear a path for the shuttles. "MEGAMI, please load left thigh CAP launcher with SDMM class ordinances. And refresh LASR magazine supply with armor-piercing rounds, if authorized for use during this engagement." Hoshitomo-hei also keyed in a request for one cartridge of SLEX for the SLAG launcher. She was unsure if these would be available, but if it came to boarding actions it would prove highly valuable.

Shin boarded the shuttle, resting against one of the side walls as he waited for his second sortie to begin.

"What do you say our odds of survival are?" Hara telepathically asked Shin as he waited for things to get underway.

Shin looked at Hara. "For you, high; for me, low."

"Hey, don't be so negative. If you die, I probably won't be living very long either," he replied, frowning.

Shin returned to running the same software check on his armor over and over again

Back on the bridge, the operator was just about to give an answer to the Taii when his communicator beeped with an important chime to it. She paused as she waited for him to answer, knowing that his questions might be answered as she suspected who the communication was from.

“This is Saiga-taii. Speak,” Nicholas said impatiently into the communicator, hoping that whoever was contacting him had something important to say. As he waited for a reply he continued to work coordinating the upcoming battle as best he could, yet again without the Shosa’s tactical expertise to guide him.

"Afternoon Nick, I hope you don't mind I'm going to go take out one of those Chiharus. Can you watch the ship while I'm out? Don't get her too scratched up," Shizuka said, rather playfully from her seat in the back of the 5th shuttle. She found herself taking light of the situation, and the look on the Taii's face was good enough for her to enjoy her few moments before she’d be going out to smash death in the eye.

“That is fine,” Nicholas replied, too involved in his work to immediately process that it was Shizuka talking. A moment after he spoke, he realized what was said and who had said it. “Wait, w-what?” he stammered, now focused on what Shizuka had to say, tracing her location to the shuttles in Pride Wing’s bay with his communicator. “That is unacceptable. Having you out there would be too much of a risk. I nee- the Senbu requires your command, Endo-shosa!” he pleaded.

The pink and blue Neko Chui twins a section down from the Taii giggled at the conversation in behind. "And you'll have plenty of me when I get back," she paused coyly before continuing in a mock correction, "I mean, the Senbu will have my command once I return. I just have to go get rid of that itty bitty Flagship over there." She seemed plenty playful, and his reactions were just making it more entertaining for the Lioness.

In Pride Wing’s bay, there were five shuttles now rising up from the floor just in front of the rapid launch atmospheric shielding. The shuttle in the middle had its rear hatch opened up for the two Daisy pilots and inside were two more Daisys in Gold Wing colors and one with the Shosa's CO markings. "Welcome to Pride Wing 03 boys, buckle up this might be a bumpy ride," Shizuka said in greeting, seemingly brimming with the prospects of combat just outside.

Shin quickly stood up, bowing to the Shosa. "Endo-Shosa, we will perform above and beyond the line of duty, and lay our lives on the line, Ma’am!"

The Shosa was coming along as well? Hara snapped a salute before boarding. He was surprised they weren't the only two Daisy pilots on the ship. This led him to wonder if they were just two other guys who didn't want a new body. Hopefully he'd have a chance to find out afterwards.

"Let's go," Kuriko said to her wing mates as she stepped off of her rack and grabbed an Aether Beam Rifle from the armory. The Heisho would then step up to the launch line. "Navi-heisho, this is Pride Wing 01 requesting permission for launch," Kuriko said to Navi as she waited for the rest of her team to assemble at the ready line.

Mildly disappointed at the unavailability of the special rounds, Hoshitomo-hei was nevertheless as prepared as she could be when the other ammunition had finished loading. Her trusty gun in hand, she walked up to the launch line with single-minded intensity. The only thing to cause her to pause was the sight of the lion markings on the shoulder of a Mindy in the shuttle with Hara and Shin aboard, to which the Rin's Mindy gave a respectful head bow. The inbox of the Shosa received a quick message, from one Star Army Warrior to another: "You will reach the objective unharmed, Shizuka-san. Leave all those who dare stand in the way to me."

Kuriko stood at the ready line waiting for Pride Wing to join her, unaware of the battle occurring between Shizuka and Nicholas. "Navi-heisho?" Kuriko asked again. "Are we clear for launch?" This was going to be a make or break mission. They might be able to take out one of the Chiharu if they could board it, but getting into range wasn't going to be a cakewalk.

Rin took her place with the other members of Pride Wing, prepared to be sent out into the vastness of space. "Nitô Hei Hoshitomo Rin ready to sortie," announced the young woman to her wing commander in a tone that was deadly serious as she added determinedly to the rest of the team over the comm. "And this time... we will not lose. We must win, for Endo-shosa and for ourselves." As she spoke this solemn oath, it also seemed at some point on the way that she had activated the usually offline pleasure induction system to show what her true intentions for the enemy were in this battle. It was life or death, and every card had to be played, even if she risked losing her vaunted cool. Shizuka expected nothing less.

Amidst the bridge’s commotion, Nicholas turned away from his console. “Armor control, Pride Wing is restricted from launching until further notice. Kameko-chui, you have the con,” he spat as he stormed off of the bridge and into the elevator, sending it to deck 24. “Shizuka, the situation isn’t the same this time. You haven’t even been apprised of what we’re facing!” he said once he was in the privacy of the lift. “We’re out of contact with any friendly forces, and closer to hostile territory than we are Yamataian. If you don’t come to your senses by the time I arrive in the armor bay, I will be forced to relieve you,” he said in a cold and determined voice.

"Not if I relieve you first..." Shizuka responded as the lift then shut down, locking the Taii inside. His authority for the time was stripped by his commanding officer and MEGAMI was under strict orders not to allow him to communicate or have access to the rest of the ship until Pride Wing was in weapon's range of their target. At that time, he would be reinstated his rank and privileges. "...don't worry too much Nick, we'll be back." Her voice paused a moment, her breaths were a little uncertain, but then she whispered something she had been meaning to say before leaving something she wanted to admit to him for a while now, "and Nick... I love you." Then the connection cut, he was left to his elevator prison.

Nicholas slammed his communicator against the lift’s interior wall after the connection ceased. “Damn it, Shizuka,” he bellowed in anguish, pounding his fists against the compartment’s blast doors for a few long moments. “May the fortunes and my ancestors guide you back to me,” the Geshrin wept, praying in vain that they would protect a Nekovalkyrja as he threw his back against the compartment’s blast doors before collapsing under the pang of Shizuka’s words and her victory over his efforts, sliding down to a sitting position, “and if not the gods or ancestors, then may your power armored knights deliver you from harm.”

END

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back