• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Eve of a whisper

J

Jack Pine

188604/ Osman city/ park......

Rorik Istavan, or more commonly know as "whisper", walked the park. He enjoyed the peace and scenery, the openness and green of the area. But as usual, he was a solitary figure. He did not openly trust, or talk to most people. Wary of strangers becoming the norm after what happened to his home.

He took a seat on a bench, and thought to himself on what that had gotten him other then a lack of friends....and a profound sense of loneliness.

There was an overcast, that much Eve could tell. It was a mixture of things, from the way the humidity hung low in the air mixed with its cool tint that dragged in the breeze, and finally with the lack of warmth against her flesh. No direct sunlight, no heat of the sun, and it was quite clear that the sun was hidden under clouds. How dense the cloud cover, how consistent would the overcast last? She wasn't sure, she couldn't tell. There was low chance of rain though, so she could at least anticipate the idea that she could walk about the park with little issue. That is assuming that the rain didn't decide to act against her, which she knew it often did.

Her cane lightly tapped the concrete pathways that had been inserted and shimmied into the earth, and as she followed the path she found herself quite aware of the quality of the pathway. It was a good distance wide, enough for three people to walk side by side, and it was made of carefully placed individual slabs, each one perfectly fitted to meld in place next to its neighbors. They were smooth, impeccably so, only shifting in height or oddly when the ground around it demanded it, choosing to adhere to the natural landscape more than the need for flat and straight pathways.

"The lake is just a bit further, Eve. I hear it's a popular swimming destination for locals, especially among the children." An accented voice spoke to her. Amari, one of her longstanding friends, a pilot that had shifted to Section Six alongside Eve, though Eve was most certain that Amari got quite a bit more interesting work, considering the massive differences in their skills, and what they were capable of doing. Though Eve was certainly trying to learn more and more and keep up with everyone else, the major thing she was skilled with was learning and speaking languages of other species and cultures, but that ability meant little when a machine could do the same job with far less effort. Still, she was paid enough to get by, and she wasn't one to complain. Maybe one day more and more of them would realize how it felt to be so easily replaced by nonthinking machines.

"Wonderful, let me know if any animals catch your eye, I haven't met all that many in a place like this." She hardly expected herself to be able to perceive a snake hiding among brambles or identify a bird up in its limbs, but the idea of Amari pointing a snake out and her focusing and possibly hearing the noises it made as it ruffled the grass and leaves among it excited her greatly. It was such a simple thought, but an animal like that, especially in the wild like in the expanses of trees and brambles of the park was something she would not otherwise experience.

"Of course, it's a busy day, lot's of people out, so there might not be much roaming in terms of wildlife." The duo walked along the path, a well-tread though well-maintained one, and their path brought them by Rorik, though neither one of them paid him much mind, considering how he didn't stand out among the busy crowds of the day.

Rorik simply watched them near from the corner of his eye. A sudden flash of feathers caught his attention from the opposite direction. One of the medium sized turkey like birds squaked, the local bird darting towards the two women.

It would find itself caught short, mere inches away. Rorik returned to the bench still having the bird restrained. Wrapping an arm around it, he began to rub its neck. Eventually it settled down and stopped resisting, cooing like a pigeon, content with the sudden petting.

"You should be careful around local animals. They get flustered for attention and are rude to strangers," Rorik said quietly.

The sound was quite distinct in how it appeared, a flurry of feathers ruffled by a mixture of combatant wind and the rampant shakes of wings, paired with the rapid beating of the ground by awkward pointed toes in a wish-wash pattern, carried upward slightly to prevent a common pattern by the wings. Above it all was the shrill warbled vocalizations of the bird, a mix of an attention-seeking noise, an alteration of the common call signal, but further jumbled by the rapid footfalls of its body that shook its throat into changing its tone.

"What is-" Eve began to call out, but Amari was quick to change directions and stand between the frantic bird and Eve, lowering her stance as if she was either about to catch the thing or punt it back the way it came. However, before either could come to pass, Rorik intervened, grabbing the bird from an unsuspecting angle and soothing it with a natural adeptness. Eve reached a hand out meanwhile to touch at Amari's back, lightly pressed against the brown coat of the pale, blond-haired woman.

"Uh, thanks, I guess." Amari responded after a moment, though she did glance back at Eve as she spoke a few quiet words. Though Rorik could hear them, it was a simply a more thorough explanation of what had occured, as only so much could be picked up by sound. With the way that Eve looked on past either of them with uncertain, foggy eyes, and how Amari explained it with an odd and specific level of detail, it was quite apparent why, if the striped cane wasn't enough of a give away. The well dressed woman with long hair was effectively blind.

"-What kind of bird is it?" Eve asked as she stepped out from behind Amari, keeping a fair distance from Rorik and the avian.

Rorik was a heavily scarred man, his own eyes despite still functional, had their own stormy grey color. Amari having been working at S6, might recognize him as Lieutenant Rorik, but this was clearly not the same one. His eyes, and numerous scars, as well as his approximate age would set him apart.

"They are referred to as Gelethas by the locals, an almost native turkey like foul. They're attention seekers, and stand offish to strangers," Rorik answered in a quiet yet rough voice, due to wear and not age, "They are easily calmed."

"I'd imagine they thrive with the population of people around here." Eve commented after a moment, her soft strides taking her a bit closer, though still at a distance of the creature. Sure, he described it like a Turkey, but it was loud, and she had a difficult time determining what it looked like and more importantly where everything on it was. She would not appreciate being scratched, bitten, or pecked at from an unknown angle by the bird. True, she enjoyed listening to the various animals but there were few animals she enjoyed actually interacting with.

Cats and dogs were fine, cats were typically predictable in their own, special way, though personalities varied, and the few dogs she interacted with were service dogs who were quite literally trained to help people like her. Service dogs weren't exactly the most common thing, given how easy it was for most people to fix themselves with some technological feat or another. She'd imagine horses would be fine, but she had never met any, and birds of most kinds proved to be too bite happy to make her comfortable.

Amari hung back a bit, silent, but it was for good reason. She had learned to let Eve take the lead in these kinds of situations, it was always good to let her talk with people and get to know them, it was certainly better to be the one to just take Eve places than to lead her around like a socially inept puppy.

"You seem to be quite good with them, who might you be?" She would ask after a moment. She didn't recognize his voice, and if she did run across him before she was rather unaware of it. "I'm Eve Ahriman, sorry, I should have introduced myself first."

"My name is Rorik Istavan, most however call me whisper....I...don't normally talk to people. I am a native, having grown up around the local wildlife," his words were quiet, but easily audible. He held the bird firm and continued to keep it docile.

After a minute he pulled a biscuit he fed to the birds when ever he visited. He placed it the birds beak and set it down beside the bench. The bird waddled back of into the park, content with it's newly acquired food.

"Its alright, he's happily on his way with a biscuit I gave him."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back