Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Existing Article Update] Volumetric Windows

Toshiro

Inactive Member
Volumetric Windows Update

I want to add some function to the Volumetric Window article, and need approval for the last paragraph in the article which I've added and reposted here for review. It includes no new technology or technological changes -- just a new application of the existing components.

Volumetric Windows also have the ability to act as interactive monitors. One can use such a display in their quarters not only as a window, but as a computer-controlled big screen volumetric television or computer monitor to add a large degree of comfort or working capability. The two-way ability of the screen to "look back" at the user allows for it to detect finger and hand motions of the user and emulate a tactile interface, like a mid-air keyboard or the ability to use a finger as a cursor. They can be used in briefing rooms as well to act as visual aids for detailing a mission (usually built into the walls or table), as a form of teleconferencing or webcam/video chat, and even allow the Commanding officer or those she permits access to view through any volumetric window aboard the ship as a security option; with or without sending her image to the party being observed. Of course, some officers tend to use this 'ship peek' ability for more recreational ends...

I take exception to the last line. I don't think it should be there. I say let people figure out how to use it rather than imply it can be used for voyeurism.

Aside from that, I think it's a good addition.

My take on that Fred was, any Commander would know they could do that. So it becomes a matter of ethics.

I edited that last part out of the article.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back