Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Character Fian Vel Steyr

Fian

Name: Fian Vel Steyr

General Information

Species: Nepleslian

Family / Creators: Gile Vel Steyr (Father Dead)
Marie Vel Steyr (Mother Alive)
Melchoir Vel Steyr (Elder Brother Alive)
Karl Vel Steyr (Younger Brother Alive)
Elsa Vel Steyr (Younger Sister Alive)

Employer: Army of Nepleslia
Current Assignment: NSS Alliance

Physical Characteristics

Height: 180 Centimeters
Weight: 75 Kilograms
Measurements: -
Bra Size: -

Build and Skin Colour: Average Built, fit, Flesh Coloured.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: Narrow light brown coloured eyes. Three moles on the left cheek.
Hair Colour and Style: Black above eyebrow length. Normally uncombed. A single white hair juts out from the front (He calls it his hair of wisdom).

Distinguishing Features: A long gash on the left forearm from his first knifefight.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
When it comes to dealing with polite strangers or superiors, Fian can be soft spoken, patient and helpfull. He loosens up though, in the company of comrades and brothers in arms, where he occasionally shares an interesting fact or cracks a dirty joke. In battle he becomes calculative and opts to plan his moves to tip the scales in his favour.

In all the above situations however he is loyal, honourable and honest with a sense of comradeship. But however in the face of an unrepentant, cocky or dirty figthing enemy in which he has the full confidence to defeat, he becomes unpredictable. Experimental at least, sick and twisted at worst.

Likes: Women, sidearms, coats, wittyness, art, companionship, cold weather, ceremonial drinking and hot baths.
Dislikes: Cocky/ cheating/ unrepentant/ annoying/controlling people. Dark Places.
Goals: Becoming an Ace pilot, Improving Nepleslian preception and getting a fasion sense.

History

Pre-History

Born into a middle class family on Nepleslia, Fian was originally slated by his father to suceed him in his business as his first son was more of an interllectual prodigy. But however the more idealistic Fian had other plans in mind. Finding no comfort from his strict father who was also always away, Fian put most his attention on looking after his younger brother. It was this bond that prevented Fian from becomming part of the street gangs, but eventually the street gangs came to him. Althought he could have escaped unscathed by himself, he had to put his life on the line for the less flexible Karl which resulted in a very bad arm wound.

From then on he trained himself to be agile for his Nepleslian body can only take so much damage, utilizing the enviroment and spatial awareness agaisnt multiple threats. However these sets of skills were frowned upon by his father, who then cancled his higher education and relegated him to an outstation technical school while promoting Karl.

As of such Fian decided to join the Army of Nepleslia, firstly because his dad is dead and Karl has taken over the business, and secondly because he wanted to travel away from the hellhole. But most importantly he would be still looking after the family, which was ironically what his dad would have wanted him to do.

He antagonizes over the safety his younger sister, whom he has not seen very often due to him being school outstation when she was born and that he joined the army soon after, but cooled after Karl's reassureance.

Mission 1

He was then assigned to the NSS Alliance, an NDI DD4 warship on loan to the SAoN.

Fian's first mission was being part of a survey group on Planet X. Opting to remain behind the main party, he was able to quickly respond to a Red ambush and managed to destroy a vital communications and telemetry shuttle in a counter-ambush which relived much pressure on the main party.

However, later when the entire team was investigating a series of underground tunnels another Red Ambush happened. This time being on the receiving end of it the Vel Steyr had buckled under the strain and nearly lost himself. Owing to luck that he survived the attack unscathed. Later he went postal again, beating up a prisoner of war which fired a hidden firearm at him. He regrets both incidents.

Sustaining casualties, the NSS Alliance returned to Nepleslia to repair and rearm. Most of the crew was given shore leave, in which Fian spent getting drunk (While hiding his low alcohol tolerance) with his new buddies and visiting his siblings (Minus Melchoir). On the second day a recall order was issued and Fian retured to the Alliance for mission two.

Skills

Fighting: Thanks to his trial by fire back at home and further training thereafter at home and at military school, Fian is skilled armed and unarmed figthing, with or without a power armor. His preference is to wear down study the opponent through evasive manuvers and small arms fire, and then finishing off with a haymaker (Or big gun). His weakness though is surprise attacks and ambushes because it gives him little oppurtunity to size up the situation and dodge effectively.

Survival and Military: Although he had an easier time surviving on Neplsilia then other people, army training had brough Fian up to mark through vigourous and hard training. Even so because being a Power Armor pilot means being on the vanguard and up at the battlefront if you dont survive, you ... Well, die.

Maintenance and Repair: Every machine operator is required to atleast be capable of servicing his own machine should there be no specialized personel, due to this Fian has learnt both from technical school and military school how to mantain and perform rudimentary repairs on his Power Armor and some other machines. However non-neplsilian technology may befuddle him.

Demolitions: Army training requires combat personel to be familiar with identifying, handling and disposing combustionable material and explosives. As what even some of Fian\\\'s briefly met business school collegues tell him : If things dont work out right, there is always the good bomb.

Communications: Not illiterate in any way, Fian is capable of reading and writing in english. His training also brings him up to the handling of communication devices and signaling, and also the use of shortform, army codes and acronyms.

Leadership: Although he didnt have much experience of this during his civilian years, Army training introduced to him the magic of squad level tactics and army manuvers. On a personal level however, Fian always looks out for probable ambush points and enviromental advantages.

Art and Vocations: Oh, and his dad made him play the violin. \\\"To tame the beast within\\\" or so he says.

Standard Issue Objects

* 2 Pullover shirt, green, with rank patches on shoulder pads and name plate
* 4 T-shirts, white
* 4 underwear, white
* 2 Khaki cargo pants
* 1 Beret, green, with flash patch
* 1 pair gloves, leather, black
* 1 pair boots, black (or khaki)
* 6 pair boot socks, white
* 1 Belt, dark green (pants)
* 1 Pistol belt, black, with holster
* 1 pair identification tags, metal, with name and hometown
* 1 Canteen, 1 quart
* 1 Pistol, semi-automatic, .45 caliber, with 2 extra magazines

Personal Effects ( Will be added )
* 1 Savtech - Elsa2 ( Elsae )
* 1 Warm Green Jacket

Probably some pocket KS, has not had a paycheck yet.

Looks pretty good!

I like how the skills section isn't a simple cut-n-paste affair. Show that you put some effort into thinking HOW your skills would be useful rather than just saying that you have them.

And he's a family man, too!

Other comments?

Yeah.

Character Approved!

Feel free to post a nifty intro post in the Nepleslia forum.

Right now, Nepleslia doesn't have an active plot running (waiting on a plotship), so if you have a really burning itch to RP every day, you can also make a Pirate or a Yamataian character.

WELCOME TO NEPLESLIA, SOLDIER!

Oh yay, I got issued a ... Yamataian rank 5 mins ago after I posted my contact details. ( Didnt realized its part of the procedure only after I had looked at the other bio submissions ).

In the meantime, what exacly is an Intro post? Before I wrote this bio I had basicly spent half a day just looking at the fractions, history and technology (Especially technology. Infinte Energy? Indistructable Materials? World Killers on a cap ship? @_@... ). The templates were helpfull, but further background information I had to scour the forums instead of the main page.

On this biography I had looked through most of the english sounding names in this sub-forum to determine the standard of writing and common pitfalls ( Especially that orphan thing, nearly did it myself ). But the most helpfull one was of Jack Miller ( Yeah, thats you Tom ).

But one thing about Nepleslia though, if the female population was less than 1%, the girls would be made of gold, and would not be found wandering the streets ( And if they did, they would have been caught/kidnapped and sold to more well off people for their wombs ). And also assuming it is 1% .... Every Nepleslian female has to bear 99 kids just to MANTAIN the Nepleslian population, and the new plotship is supposed to look for new colonisable world... I mean, where are the colonists going to come from?

Which could be the reason why Nepleslia is full of social ills, there are little complete families ( So being orphans could be normal ), and men never grow up to be fathers ( And missing out on the maturity and expirience ).

So I tried to write a new piece of technology to circumvent this problem. But however there isnt a template for a single device ( Only for mecha and starships ). Even then I think there are a few kinks to iron out with a mod before I even think of posting it.

In the meantime, I think I'll just sit tight and wait for the plotship.

Edit: Some mistakes realized after further browsing.

And also assuming it is 1% .... Every Nepleslian female has to bear 99 kids just to MANTAIN the Nepleslian population, and the new plotship is supposed to look for new colonisable world... I mean, where are the colonists going to come from?
There's a lot of mass cloning done by various organizations. The earlier Nepleslian empires left left some automated facilities that regularly churn out lots of guys (but next to zero women).

Elisa would like you, pity she's lightyears away. ^_~

That said, it is an awesome bio, and I should point out your avatar of Maximillian Jenius (or Max Sterling, but I don't think anyone here refers to the Robotech terms), a guy so awesome he made the Meltran who wanted nothing more than to kill him marry him instead.

I can only hope this guy is just as awesome.

Basically, an intro post is the first block of writing that you post as your character: an in-game perspective into his life to introduce him to the world.

It doesn't have to be much, really, just anything that you feel your character would be doing on his homeworld at any moment.

The purpose of an intro post is to have the player get a feel for his character in the enviornment as well as show how much writing (and time) goes into the standard post.

Thanks for the compliment, by the way. :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back