Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

FIRE Missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Blue Dude

Inactive Member
Producer Information
Designer: NAM
Manufacturer: NAM
(Suggested) Price: Military only

Nomenclature Information
Name: FIRE Missiles
Type: Missile
Model: 001
Role: Hellfire = Anti massed foes. Wrath of God= anti-ship
Length: Hellfire .75 meters long; Wrath of God 1 meter long
Weight: Hellfire 150 lbs; Wrath of God 300 lbs

Discharge Information
Projection/ammo type: Missiles
Can hold in active: Either four Hellfires, or two Wrath of Gods
Firing Mechanism: Self Launch
Caliber: Diameter of Hellfire= 20CM Diameter of Wrath of God= 50CM
Effective Range: Hellfire effective range, approximately 200KM. Wrath of God effective range approximately 10 light seconds
Maximum Range: Hellfire maximum range, approximately 1,000KM light seconds. Wrath of God maximum range approximately 30 light seconds
Minimum Range: 2 kilometers Hellfire 1 Light Second Wrath of God
Muzzle Velocity: .7C Hellfire. 1.5C Wrath of God
Firing Mode(s): Single Shot
Recoil: Requires bracing and Mecha armor

Damage Description: FIRE missiles contain a fusion generator which breaches on impact, causing a massive eruption of plasma. This generator also powers the ridiculously fast engines of the Hellfires, and FTL engines of the God's wrath

Ammo Description:Name: Hellfire Missile
Visual Description: The ammo is stored is locked crates set up to prevent jostling
Ammo: Each crate holds twelve missiles
Visual Description: A suitcase like device that is carried on the battlefield by Fire mecha
Ammo: Each case holds four missiles
Damage Description: Hellfires contain a fusion generator which breaches on impact as well as over burning, causing a massive eruption of plasma light and heat. They pack a roughly 500 kiloton blast, but it's not the blast that kills you, it's the plasma that's roughly the temperature of lightning raining down around you, and the explosion of heat and energy. Mind you on the outer fringes you're probably not dead, just maimed. The actual kill zone is maybe .25 Km in diameter, depending on the mecha used against

Damage depends on radius from blast-point...
These are at optimal range
Diameter=2X radius
Radius of 1 CM = 10 (Smaller then missile)
Radius of 3 CM =9 (Smaller then missile)
Radius of 5 CM = 8 (Smaller then Missile)
Radius of 10 CM =7 (Equal missile)
Radius of 50 CM = 6
Radium of 1 M = 5
Radius of 10 M = 4
Radius of 25M = no more direct contact with plasma
Radius of 50 M = 3
Radius of 100 M = 2
Radius of 500 M = 1
Radius 1 KM= 0 "it's getting kinda hot here, but it doesn't hurt."
Radius any greater = no effect

Over all I'd give it a 4

Ammo Description:Name: Wrath of God Missile
Visual Description: The ammo is stored is locked crates set up to prevent jostling
Ammo: Each crate holds six
Visual Description: A suitcase like device that is carried on the battlefield by Fire mecha
Ammo: Each case holds two Missiles
Damage Description: Wrath of Gods contain a fusion generator which breaches on impact, causing a massive eruption of plasma. They use this to power a FTL engine, and they are much larger because of it. The blast is roughly 10 Megatons, but it's not the blast that kills you... wait it is! It's anti-ship so the radial effect is less then the anti-infantry.

The explosion is a strait 5 After that damage depends on distance. When something is big enough that it covers more then the radius of a cloud, count it as the one that covers the higher percentage of it's surface.

These are at optimal range
Diamater = 2x radius
Radius of 10 CM = 10 (smaller then missile)
Radius of 25 CM =9 (smaller then missile)
Radius of 50 CM = 8 (Same size as missile)
Radius of 1 M =7
Radius of 5 M = 6
Radium of 10 M = 5
Radius of 25 M = 4
Radius of 15M = no more direct contact with plasma
Radius of 50 M = 3
Radius of 100 M = 2
Radius of 250 M = 1
Radius 500 M= 0 "it's getting kinda hot here, but it doesn't hurt."
Radius any greater = no effect

Over-all I'd give it a 7

Weapon Mechanisms:
Safety: Yes, Live or not live. Live rounds are dangerous. Not live rounds are not until they are made live
Fire mode selector: By loading different missiles
Weapon Sight: Yes, as part of the Fire Mech
Attachment Hard points: Yes: Shoulder mounted rack on Fire mech
Really cool built in thingy: Contains a plasma generator

Maintenance Information:
Field Maintenance Procedure: Very carefully; They're only switched "onâ€

Question, How big is the suitcase like device and if it was covered in say leather could a person disguise it as a suitcase?

Ask Fian, but I suspect the answer is NO. He invented the suitcase things, they're the ammo-holders for the Fires

I doubt ten megatonnes could ever be class ten - the Sakura's shields are capable of surviving within the surface of the sun, and absorbing Yottawatts of energy - which is out of the 10 megatonne league.

I am simulating the plasma cloud it releases. And 50 cm diameter is smaller then the warhead in fact, which means that it will not be effecting the ship. Only the warhead. The warhead which is vaporised.

1, Under name you say ‘Missils' instead of ‘Missiles'.

2, Would not the power of the missile reduce significantly as it went further and thus used up more of the hydrogen which is powering its FTL drive?

3, How much Hydrogen is actually carried? How much space is given over to the fusion reactor compared to the FTL drive?

4, It might be a good idea to put the range in both conventional kilometers as well as light seconds.

5, If you're firing a missile relying upon an FTL drive from within a ship using its own FTL drive it could cause conflict – possibly disaster. I would suggest an electro-magnetic system to get it outside the FTL field before its own FTL system engages.

6, Can you explain why the minimum range is there? Given that the blast radius of the weapon is at most effective at 500m or 10 KM.

7, If it's launched using its own FTL system why would it require bracing?

8, I'm not certain the plasma of such a small missile would actually extend 500m or 10 KM. Compare the amount of plasma that the missile will hold to the dispersal effect over this distance and find out the concentration of the matter once it reaches anything approaching that distance.

9, You might consider having highly pressurized hydrogen, possibly in liquid form, although this will significantly increase the weight of the weapon.

10, I can't see where you actually describe the speed of the weapon.

11, In all honesty I'd suggest an ‘overburn' rather than a plasma explosion – release the energy primarily in the electro-magnetic spectrum and it would be more believable. As it is I simply do not think it has the plasma carrying capacity for the ranges you're speak of.

12, I mean really? The plasma filing a 1KM sphere? With a missile measuring less than one metre and weighing 50 pounds? That gives you less than 50 pounds worth of Hydrogen to convert into plasma – reducing from that the weight of the case, FTL engine, actual mechanics of the fusion engine and the amount burnt off during the flight.

13, Since the Wrath of God relies more upon the explosion it's more believable – but still, 10 Megatonnes from a fusion reaction in a missile weighing only 100 lbs?

14, How does one switch the round from live to not live?

15, Does it contain a plasma generator or is that simply a component of the fusion drive?

16, I don't think a Sluggy Freelance reference is a very good idea. They don't exist in this universe.

1. Oops... fixing

2, Would not the power of the missile reduce significantly as it went further and thus used up more of the hydrogen which is powering its FTL drive? Yes, it would. Damage stats are for optimal range.

3, How much Hydrogen is actually carried? How much space is given over to the fusion reactor compared to the FTL drive? Ummm. I don't know how much Hydrogen is actually carried. Let me think on that one.... As for space for the reactor, about three quarters. The reactor is the warhead. It breaches containment to "fire"

4, It might be a good idea to put the range in both conventional kilometers as well as light seconds. 'k. Will do

5, They're not made for ship-board use. They are made for use by the FIRE power amours. So they don't need a way to get out of a FTL field... the FIRES supply that

6, Can you explain why the minimum range is there? It's not at all accurate before that range. It takes some distance before it can use what homing abilities it has.

7, If it's launched using its own FTL system why would it require bracing? Only the Wrath of Gods are launched via FTL. the Hellfires are not.

8, Hrm... I might reduce the blast radius's then.

9, Yes, it would increase weight, but that would make it more... effective. Let me think about it...

10, Oops. wait... b]Muzzle Velocity: [/b] .7C Hellfire. 1.5C Wrath of God yep, have speed

11, If it gets the effect that I want, then it's good for me. I just want a large area with varying damage dependent on distance.

12, See? I suck with weights and mesures. Sure I can reduce it somewhat, increase the weight. Though I would like to say it doesn't fill the full 1KM. Past damage level 4-3 it's not plasma anymore doing damage, just gas that's been superheated by the plasma

13, *LBD Isn't very good with numbers* I'll probably increase weight.

14, It takes a "jump start" probably with power supplied by the ship or mech prior to launch. This starts the generator.

15, it contains a plasma generator. That's the warhead

16, Point. But it's funny....

Thanks for the advice!

2, Damage stats are still irrelevant, considering the damage output of the system. modern (in SA terms) shielding systems can handle teratons per second per meter square - this would be completely ineffective against anything but space-suited personnel. And turkey shoots with missiles is expensive when you could just use a pew pew laz0r.

Also, payload = fuel? O_o... an empty missile will bounce off a hull, not blow it to pieces.

3, The amount (in mass) of hydrogen carried is density * volume. If you consider that you definitely won't be using solid hydrogen (which requires a gravitational force of a planet the size of Jupiter to contain), liquid will be your fuel of choice. Wikipedia, Liquid Hydrogen
The density of liquid hydrogen is 70.8 kg/m³. Along with the statistics of your missile, that means (given that 3/4 of the volume of the missile is given over to storage) a capacity of 1 * pi(0.25)^2 * 0.75, or 0.14m^3 (rounded down, considering I doubt your missile has an infinitely thin exterior shell). This translates to 9.912kg (call it 10kg) of liquid hydrogen.
That's about 143 liters of liquid hydrogen, or in terms of a better known fuel, the same energy density as 35.75 liters of petroleum.
Not... really... enough to do any real damage. And this is your heavy hitter. Although you could set fire to a house with it I guess...

5, How does the mecha tear open a stable interface in an FTL bubble to drop out a missile? =o

6, We call it blast radius. You don't want to shoot YOURSELF, now do you?

7, So... the system fires from inside a mecha, inside an FTL bubble, with no launch procedures. Hell of a missile. Hell of a mecha.

9, See point three. It's NOT effective.

2. Who cares about how many megatons I claim. The damage is the number. Further one of them is designed to take out, you know, MASSED targets where there are allot of people to hit.

There's some margin with the payload equals fuel, but that's about right. Maximum range will still deal damage. Past that, anyone's guess

3. Meh, whatever. It creates heat and fire and shiz.

5. What do you mean stable FTL thingy? Mecha picks up missle. Mecha goes outside ship. Mecha fire missile. Missile goes faster then light. I think that's sorta pretty standard for FTL missiles except that most don't fire from mecha.

6. Accuracy limit is before blast-radius limit. It's kinda hard to hit someone five meters in front of your face with a 1 meter long missile

7. Fires within FTL? What do you mean there? It just goes FTL.

9. Ummm, I think you're missing.... ahhh watever you can't say this is less realistic then several thousand other things that have gotten approved.

Not approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back