• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Firefox browser formating pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Retired Staff
I'm a Firefox browser user. I love Firefox. I have the most recent version too... but ever since I switched from IE to FF, I began to have some difficulties with the formating of forum posts.

Which difficulties? It's nothing big... but it does get irritating overtime: Everytime I click a formating button such as [b] [i] [u]
Code:
 etc... My text window scrolls back up, much like when you'd press 'Home' and made 'Page Up' in a text editor until you returned to the beginning of the document.

Now, I know how to type most of the most commonly used forum formating code, but it still gets irritating for me to always be brought up if I use one of the tools above the text editing window, especially in longer posts. Then I have to scroll back down and lose time finding where I was when I added the modification.

Any input on how I can fix that?

I have a simmilar experiance and, unfortunatly do not know how to prevent it, but I join with you in requesting that someone save me from having scroll through the entire text when I post!

It's annoying, especially when your players write in ittallics quite a lot!

(I actually don't, I never have a reason to.)

Thirded. (Work is slow and I'm reading budgets.)

I just learned most of the code I use most often and type it manually.

Does this happen even when you highlight what you want formated then click the button?

*nods in agreement with Zakalwe* And clicking on the button itself always sends the code thing down at the end of the text document and not where the text cursor currently is.

Relevant parts of a discussion over #firefox on mIRC.

* Now talking in #firefox
* Topic is 'Welcome to the Firefox Community Channel | Have a question/problem? Just ask. If no one's around say "help!" | Support Forums: http://forums.mozillazine.org/ | Using a linux distro provided Firefox? Ask them first! | BugDay in #qa today Help confirm bugs. | Firefox 1.5.0.4 is Out!'
* Set by kbrosnan on Tue Jun 06 16:02:03

<Zoberraz> hello, I've had an issue with Firefox regarding the use of message boards.
<Zoberraz> https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3193
<Zoberraz> I was discussing it with my fellow board members here, so, feel free to take a look.
<Zoberraz> Essentially, when using formatting buttons to add the code to make text, there is always a scroll up to the beginning (upper left) of the text window, which becomes extremely bothersome when writing long posts on the boards.
<Peng> Zoberraz: Yeah, I'd noticed that.
<Peng> Zoberraz: I didn't know it was a new behavior.
<Zoberraz> Peng: It's not new. I've been experiencing that for months.
<Zoberraz> Peng: I'm just a bit tired of putting up with it without doing anything... so, I came here to ask.
<Zoberraz> Peng: It could have been just an obscure tweak in the options that could have fixed it or something. However, I felt that things woudln't improve if I didn't bring it up.
<Peng> Zoberraz: BTW, Firefox does like you, it just isn't very bright and keeps tripping over its feet. :)
<Zoberraz> Peng: Heheh. Is there someplace I could discuss the subject over on the Firefox site? It's the first time I'm bothering to give feedback, so, I'm not quite sure of where to start.I've been looking over the knowledge base and the forums, but I haven't found a good topic relevant to our situation yet.
<Peng> Zoberraz: If this bug hasn't already been reported, it should be filed in Bugzilla, but it might have been.
<Zoberraz> Peng: Alright. I'll keep trying and see what I can unearth in the knowledge base, and look over the firefox forums to to see what topics have been discussed so I can present our problem accurately. Thank you for your time.

Peng was nice enough to answer, but the channel is really just filled with a bot stating when bug reports are recieved... and that happens about 5 to 10 times a minute. Not the best place to ask for info after all and the number of bug reports leave me unsure of if it's an issue that can be attended just through bug submissions - it's been months since I've had that problem and it hasn't been solved.

Double post for bumpage to the people interested:

I found a promising thread in the Firefox forum that pointed to extensions that could be added to the Firefox browser for certain types of message boards. While it doesn't make the post format editing buttons work, it does add a contextual menu where the user can apparently select the text he wants formatted, right click to open his contextual menu and then select the formating option he'd want.

I say apparently because I haven't tried. I'm personally more interested in finding how to make the buttons work right in the first place, so, I'll keep looking. for those interested in my find though... just click on the link and go read about the extensions:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 39#1721439

Edit:

Additionally, I found this thread:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 20#1366120

It outlines almost precisely the problem we've been experiencing and points the contextual menu extension above as the most effective counter to it - again.

*volunteers to test the extension*

Testing out BBCodeXtra...

It works fine. Just hi-light, and then right-click on the text box and watch the magic happen. :)

Download it here.

Say it with me: I <3 Firefox.

ZOMG

This is kinda cool.

Y'know what's weird though, is that I can't get center to work.

Yeah, but the length of your post doesn't necessarely indicate that it won't skip back up if you have several pages worth of text (as in, you're testing, but only writing a few lines instead of pages worth of text).

Anyone tried editing a longer text with it to see if there was a repeat on that, or are we saved from restarting on the top of the document and having to scroll back down to search where we were adding tags in the first place?

Before I posted my 'It does' comment I made sure it was longer than the box. It didn't go up to the top.

(I later deleted the spaces so not to waste space.)

I see.

Well, I completed my research over the Firefox message boards and couldn't seem to find anything relevant to the normal use of the buttons usually meant for putting the formating tabs correctly in the first place. Personally, I'm a bit tired of sifting though pages and pages of info trying to find one particular bit, so, I'll conclude my research on that note. (I mean, I already have enough content browsing to do in the SARP ^_^;;; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back