• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission FMS Universal Battery Cells

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
For the preservation of the electrode it is recommended to place a cap on unused rails to protect the terminals within. These caps also help hold the battery cells together.
Can we find a better place to put this part? It doesn't seem to describe the appearance.

Alright, since I have just been cleared to review submissions let's see if I can do this and not cause half the universe to explode.

This Review is For: Submission Above
idk why the formatting broke here so I just went for this

The submitted article is/has…
[ YES ] A very high level of overall quality
[ YES ] A general topic sentence under the title header
[ NO (Not Required) ] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[ YES ] Needed and/or useful to the setting
-It's a 188-604 based company, and such a cheaply manufacturable weapon battery cell is...IMO quite a necessity.​
[ YES ] In the proper format/template
[ YES ] Proofread for spelling and grammar
- I personally don't see any. Should be fine.​
[ YES ] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
-Very clear-cut terms and even has a nice table! :D
-Suggestion: For the row label, name it "stack size" and for the column label, name it "pack size." Took my brain a bit to wrap around the table. But after reading the Operations in Weapons subheading it became pretty clear.​
[ YES ] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[ YES ] No red and/or broken links
[ YES ] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[ YES ] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[ NO ] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
-Basic stuff, really. Doubt settled!​
[ NO ] Obtusely redundant
[ NO ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[ NO ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[ NO ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[ NO ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[ NO ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[ NO ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ NO ] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[ NO ] Lacking Detail
[ NO ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ N/A ] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[ YES ] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[ YES ] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[ YES ] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Good Heckin' Article.

Approved

I have finished this review on: 9/13/2017

edit: thx for 500 likes arble

Last edited:
In regards to Q1, I suppose it could be stacked to Tier 6-ish, supposing such a weapon could be powered by batteries. It was basically intended for handheld devices, so if you need a vehicle to carry the weapon for you it just wouldn't help.

Realistically, there is a point where it makes no sense to use a battery since a dedicated hyperspace tap can do the same job with far better results. In the setting there are hyperspace taps the size of a lunch box, so if you notice that your battery pack is starting to look like a wall it's a pretty good time to look into getting a tap. ;)

Alright, it's best if you'd write that down, maximum tier as Tier 6. I was thinking more along the lines of taping them all over your body, so you have some freakish battery armor...monstrosity...thing...

ahem

Well, other than the revisions I said for you to do...

Seems Legit(Approved)

Thanks! Only reason I wouldn't make 6 cells a maximum is because it won't matter how many batteries someone wants to put in a device, it can only hold so many. If you only have space for two cells, you can only load a 2 cell pack. Modifications to make it carry a 3rd in series would be really bad for the electrical system. You know, fires and stuff.

Why not let it scale all the way up? At some point (around tier 6) it'd be much easier to just attach an aether reactor but if your mechanic needs to jump start their starship cannon for a single shot or something they still could.

Because then you could rig up something silly, say, an Aether Shock Array, and giggle about powering an entire Sharie with nothing but batteries.

Just doesn't make sense, and besides, at some point the batteries are gonna melt.

I put the pics up and realized something, the size of the UBC is way too big to justify only 10 rounds. At that rate you would see better performance from a solid munition type of weapon so anything using this would pretty much see instant obsoletion because carrying ammo will be a nightmare.

I'd like to boost it's capacity to 30 rounds per cell, that way there is an actual reason for using these.

ALSO, I agree that these batteries should be used according to their purpose. No one is going to operate Starship-grade weaponry from a batter in their pocket. A mecha, maybe you'll get a few minutes, but it's not for high energy draw stuff like shields, engines, etc... though I suppose if enough were assembled into a bank it could be a nice battery backup to keep the lights on.

The way these work in Weapons isn't like a magazine feeding bullets. It isn't a capacitor. The laser weapon has a capacitor, usually multiple capacitors. Electricity from the battery charges the capacitor which in turn dumps all of the power into the emitter all at once. So first you need to charge the capacitor. If you are trying to fire a Starship grade laser you will go through many batteries before being ready to fire, at which point it simply isn't worth it. Generator is better, these are just more portable.

Last edited:
Sure, go ahead and increase it to 30. Seems about a decent size for a lighter option to an ammo magazine. Especially on 188-604 where packing light and well will drastically increase your odds of surviving, a technology such as this would be in an inordinately high demand. It's not overpowered either, so the checklist holds.

Edit: That actually makes a pretty interesting survival plot idea, where the GM controls every last bit of resources the players get. These could reduce book-keeping by a large amount for gritty survival plots, since instead of having to deal with managing multiple munitions types, just load in a battery.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back