Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Fred's Commission thread

COMMISSIONING INFO

The service I offer:

I am currently offering to make character artwork or 3d modeling/texturing commissions.

Character artwork can either depict your character in a bust/chest area or upward, a whole body shot, a model sheet or a scene. These will usually be print resolution (about 8.5x11in at 150 dpi). My artstyle is currently heavily anime inspired, but I also took figurative drawing classes so I can go for more realistic. I use a cell-shaded coloring style with softer edges.

In the instance of a 3d model (preferably an object, not a living being) I can build up a mesh and texture it to flesh out whatever you wish to have me flesh out with my polygonal-shaping skills (along with diffuse/bump and specular texturing).

I will be pricing my art so-

DRAWINGS

• Shoulder-and-up: 10 USD per sketch, rendered drawing at 20 USD.
  • Full body: 15 USD per sketch, rendered drawing goes at 30 USD.
    Model sheet: 40 USD for the lineart, up to 60 USD rendered. (3 points of view)
  • Scenes: Just to add a complex colored background, I'd generally up the price by 10~20 easily. Complex multi-character scenes are likely to be time consuming and I will negociate the price for that on a case-by-case basis.

MODELS
  • Medium details: 65 to 125 USD
  • High Details: 130 to 240 USD

More pricey, but good 3d art takes easily a couple weeks for me to complete and I'm supposedly good at modeling. The prices include building the mesh and the textures. The margins are there for two factors: complexity of the model and the amount of design I have to do for them.

Current Queue:
Doshii Jun (Yukari)
Me (Kotori)
Wes (Sakura-Class Gunship 3d model)

Important:

I have four specialized college degrees in graphism; I have expertise, but also school loans to pay and money to earn to pay what I need to live. Gaining experience to gain a foothold in my field for a stable job is pretty difficult, so, in the meantime, I not only have to practice and hone my skills, but I also actually have to make a name for myself and actually gain some income.

I have no school to attend to, no exam that would hinder me and I have strong motivation to practice the abilities I've trained for and to compelte work with alacrity (no weeks of hearing nothing from me). I need to earn a living related to my field and commissions are the way I can go by it right now. Not to mention I sort of need the money to buy food and stuff ~_~;

On the level of ownership, the drawing is yours, the Star Army's or however the commissioner likes it. My only condition is consentment that I can use the artwork to add to my personal portfolio.

That said, I look forward to working on your requests.

How to proceed:
  • Once ready to commission me and after having covered the above, send me your request by e-mail or private messaging with the subject 'Commission:' and what you want me to do.
  • In the message, specifiy what you want me to do. Try to add in descriptions or reference images of your character or object - whatever you have on hand that would best indicate to me what you want. This could be details on the character's personality, body language, hair style and color, skin tone, eye pigmentation, clothing (I don't always expect to do Star Army uniforms), tattoos, jewelry and so on. You can leave some parts to me to detail too - us artist folks call that artistic license. ^_^;
  • When I'm ready to work on the commission, I'll get back to you at length to get more details on how exactly you'd like your character (or model) to be.
  • Once ready, I'll start and make some very rough sketches. Once we settle on something you seem to like, then, it's time to pay me through Paypal.

My PayPal account to send to is Zoberraz AT yahoo DOT ca. That's the only payment method I'm accepting right (unless you want to go through the bother of mailing the money to me... but in that instance I'm still only starting on the artwork once I get the money for it).
  • From that point, I'll continue working and send you progress images frequently so you can be aware of how it is shaping up and if you want some alterations to be done (not going to the point of redoing the whole piece, though. That's another commission).
  • Once the commission is complete, I'll send over a high resolution JPG image via email for you to use (along with still being able to resize the picture and make you an avatar or something - I mean, that's the cherry on the sundae). In the case of the 3d models, I can give you pretty much any rendered picture of it that you'd like (tweaking a scene in 3d is actually easier than in 2d, so, adding stars, a sun and a planet is no problem - that's simple)... I'd be willing to actually send the source files for the model if you had some way of viewing it at home (I work with 3DS Max 8).

I have an old deviantart account at zoberraz.deviantart.com but it really isn't representative to what I learned at the ICARI institute.

I suggest you wait up and see what I can do with Kotori. I've been itching to do my own character art for awhile with my new stuff. ^_^;

Besides, I have Doshii's commission to do first.

I'm interested in having a Sakura model.

I can do that. ^_^

The Sakura's overall shape is fairly simple and the design is already mostly done, so, there's no great complication there. Nowhere as complex a shape as the Miharu too, so, I'd qualify it as a medium detail model.

Doshii retains first place, but while I work on his character, you might want to dig up what references you can of the Sakura. The top view is a good reference, but despite the deckplan, a side view or some indication of how the ship looks from a 3d perspective would help.

Furthermore, if you want to think about any cosmetic changes to make to the ship's design, since it's in refit and having some positron cannons installed, now would be a good time to think about them. I'm saying that because once the texturing work is over, I won't be able to alter the model of the mesh without having to redo the textures. Better now than later while you have the time to reflect on it. ^_^

I've asked for Doshii to offer me a few reference pictures so that I may properly design his Yukari character. Meanwhile, I started assembling my scene and references for the Sakura-class gunship. As I carefully studied the design of the ship, some questions came to my mind:
  • Escape pod placement: The way the escape pods are placed around the bridge, they don't seem to support the idea that their openings line the outer edge of the ramps leading around the bridge and to the Taisa's suite. Any corrections or adjustments wanted there?
  • Dorsal and Ventral hatches: Despite the art, it was always my impression that the Sakura has a vertical dorsal and ventral airlock instead of two hatches facing port and starboard on the dorsal and ventral sides of the ship. That idea stemmed from Rufus actually going out and walking over the blade of the Sakura to meet with the Lorath High Priest.

If Rufus made his exit to the side, I simply can't see any non-dangerous way he'd have of climbing up the smooth hull of the ship and getting on the top of the blade itself. If it was a single airlock leading up, Rufus could have climbed a latter and walked a straight line over the top of the ship (though this would include the need to jump down from the Taisa's suite to the blade... which could be kinda high for a human). It would also imply that the top of the Sakura is slightly flatter than it's ovoid/teardrop shaped hull would suggest.

I'd like to know what you think about this, Wes, along with what changes you'd like done about that. I could make the hatches recessed with a safer flat path to walk up, ladder rungs (though they'd be so small it'd probably be redundant to actually add them on the model), or make it a single hatch configuration instead. You tell me.
  • The Sakura's twin-bladed aether shock array: As the above point mentions, the Sakura's blade was one place the Captain walked. However, if he rested the place atop the palace of the Lorath, it might imply that he'd need to climb back on it on his return. Which brings the following question: how sharp and thick is the blade's edge? I can't imagine it'd have had been safe if it had been a razor sharp edge like the Yui-class scout destroyer. How is the blade's edge? I imagine that it could just as well be butter-knife sharp and still do a very good job if the gunship had to ram against another ship. Or is the edge even thicker than that? If so, it might be important to mention it to me so I could take it into account in the model.

Also, both top and bottom blades make a sort of pronged shape. I understand that while the Sakura is charging the array, electric jolts sort of run between each blade (like it does for the Xianthrafruglu and most Macross main cannons). What I want to know about those is if the blades are symetrical individually on top and bottom, or if it's different than that. Personally, I think a sort of inset groove on the inner sides of the 'prongs' might be a nice comestic touch.

The other question I wanted to ask was about the frontal portion of the main section of the Sakura, between each blade. Is that section just a smooth featureless part of the hull? Does it have obvious supports leading to each of the array's blades and supporting them? Does it have somesort of cannon-hole/beam-lens like opening to accompagny the main gun?
  • The Power Armor bays and Launch bays: Do you want the power armor bay to be modeled open, from side to side; or with shutters closed? Do you actually want me to do the small detail insides? I personally recommend that you don't ask me intricate details of the insides, but just texturing a tiled floor wouldn't be anything too difficult. I could always make the shutter doors open and close - it'd take a bit more work, but it wouldn't be difficult.

The Launch bay seems to have a cover of some sort. Can you tell me how it is supposed to open and close? It'll help me model it properly. I can also have it openable or not, depending on your preference.
  • The rear end of the Sakura: The ship's teardrop-like shape comes at a tapered point, but there are sections under it which indicates it would turn out to be wider, especially the rear cargo door which I can't imagine ends up with a point. If you have details and image references to give me for that, I'd suggest you put some attention to this: it's probably one of the biggest sticking point to the overall geometry of the model.

Also, if you want the ramp to open or not, you should tell me.
  • The nacelle pylons: Do you want them to spring out of the hull squarely, or would you like a smoother bonding point to the hull in a fashion similar to the Enterprise-A?

I never could figure out how you managed to stuff a positron cannon in the middle of a relatively flat pylon and also allow a passage through to an airlock point at the other hand where the optional module or a ship could connect. Any explanation on that would help (and be useful detail to your ship anyways.

Do the pylons have squarish edges or are they smoother in the fashion of a plane's wings? Any particular details I should know about?

How do the pylons end if there is no optional module such as the auxiliary engine? Since the pylon end in a large section with a weapon pod hatch, I'm led to think that it'd normaly include that section.
  • Engine Nacelles: Possibly the most important question to start with here is; should the nacelles be included in the model's mesh, or actually be separate sections? If you want them be be exchangeable (and not have to get me to rebuild a whole model just because you've thought out about a new nacelle type), it might be the right approach.

Do the nacelle pylons still rotate like you've mentioned to me over YIM some time ago? Though I think it's unlikely due to the machinery involved in making something this big rotate, if it does, I should know so I can have the model capable of doing that (if you wish that level of detail).

Are the new positron cannons here front facing? Fixed mounts? Turrets? Where do you want them positioned on the nacelle?

The engine exhaust section of the nacelles - which would actually be a gravimetric engine, now that I think about it - how would you like it to be shaped? A more modest double fin assembly of the kind the Miharu has? Or something else?
  • Ship's underside: My question above about the airlock hatches would apply here.

Another thing I was wondering about was the sensor section. I imagined the Miharu's dome sections as having a black-glossy surface and sort of imagined the Sakura had the same thing. Is this what you want? Or would you prefer it featureless?
  • Ship's surface: The Sakura gunship's main body is supposedly relatively smooth. I'm just pointing out that there's not much detail for me to do there after what's been mentioned above. If you are okay with that, it's fine, but if you want something more, it would be good to mention it to me.

I'm thinking ahead for the textures and I'll have a defeault texture set with the standard Star Army colors - like depcited on the model, with the parts identifying[/] a ship blank so that the model would only apply to the YSS Sakura (some quick texture work at the end and it wouldn't be too difficult to make up the Azalea squadron because I planned ahead).

Another possibility would be the addition of the black color scheme for SAINT or Black Spiral vessels. I imagine black-on-black writing won't be very good, so, you'll have to think about what labels are on spook ships if you want me to make an alternate texture set for them.

Wes, I'm still waiting for your answer on the reference bits for the Sakura model. The earlier the better (I can model when I'm taking drawing breaks, you know?)

• Dorsal and Ventral hatches: Rufus didn't come out the side hatch, he came out a top hatch. Also, the blue area of the blade is flat. The gray area is the angled part.
  • The Sakura's twin-bladed aether shock array: The angle isn't all that steep going back up on it.

The interior and exteriors of the gun blades are not identical.

There's a dark gray wall of machinery between the blades. Think of the cannon on Nadesico.
  • The Power Armor bays and Launch bays: You can model them open. You don't need to do little Mindy armors in there, though.

The Launch bay's rear door is in two parts. The outer section (near the end of the ship) slides under the inner section and the inner section slides under the hull.
  • The rear end of the Sakura: The rear door is sort of a tall trapezoid. I'd like the model to be able to open it (not required, though).
  • The nacelle pylons: a smoother bonding point to the hull
    The pylons are a little less than a deck thick. They have rounded edge like a plane's wings. They end with docking clamps and a hatch.
  • Engine Nacelles: It might be best to add them later. (yes, they rotate)

The postion cannons on the nacelle are built in, sort of the way an aircraft's autocannon looks.

The engine exhaust section of the nacelles would be rounded, something like a VF-11's foot/thruster in Macross Plus and Macross 7.
  • Ship's underside: Two angled side hatches, one lower - perhaps directly under the main passage (an addition)

A black dome for the sensors is cool.
  • Ship's surface: The Sakura gunship's main body is pretty smooth. We don't really have to bother detailing the joints between armor panels, I think.

Thanks, that helps.

I don't remember seeing a top hatch on the Sakura's dorsal hull, but I have no problem adding it (top of main passageway like the lower one?).

I have trouble understanding the opening of the rear launchbay doors. I guess they don't open in the middle like the ones on the Enterprise-A, but them having a part which would slide under another part which would slide into the hull is, well, somewhat confusing.

The nacelle part I got and I have an idea of how to do it. Unless you want it differently, I'll make the pylons on the squarish/tough side since they don't seem all that big considering there's a rotational mechanism in there.

Do I move the escape pods around the bridge some to allow room to walk around (inside the ship)?

Kotori said:
Do I move the escape pods around the bridge some to allow room to walk around (inside the ship)?
No, the passageway is actually inside the dome.

Ah ha! That explains it.

Mmm... then, the interior Sakura's bridge is probably less roomy than I thought, thus explaining why it's on two decks. *nods*

Um, the positron cannons on the pylons (in the middle). Are they firing from a position inside the pylon, or actually on top of the pylons (like, that little bit back in the middle)?

There is a shield that normally covers the front of the cannon. It slides up and back over the cannon when the gun is armed. It is diamond shaped- you can see it on the top view pic I made.

Mwuahahaha! Double posting!

I just realized something: The Sakura's shape doesn't see very 'land on my belly' like. The ship must have landing gear - how would that work exactly?

It's something similar to the ones on Voyager from Star Trek: stumpy struts poke out from the hull.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back