Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Freespacers] Polysentience Cyberspace

SentientRace

Inactive Member
Polysentience Cyberspace

An article I have been working on pretty much since Jess got back. The point of it is to give Freespacers a means of communicating and meeting face to face with each other at any given moment despite whatever plot they may be in, as well as giving the Polysentience more depth and expanding on the way it works and the ways it is used. It would also give a plot I plan on making some virtual meeting points and a second world where things occur.

Jess knows all about it and has given it the approval, so all that's needed now is the approval of the tech mods.

I await the judgment of the SARP gods.

With a quick glance, I see nothing wrong with this article and I'm even quite impressed by it. I'd like a little more time reading/mulling it over however. I expect I'll make my decision by the 16th of June. (Tomorrow)

Edit: Is this totally exclusive to Freespacers, or is it like the Internet where anyone with a connection can access it? Can't seem to find a clear answer to that in the article.

The Polysentience is accessible to anyone with Mindware by default. Presumably no other race in SARP has the same kind of formats as the Freespacers do, so unless they have software compatible with the formats (which is highly unlikely), they wouldn't be able to access it.

The most compatible format in the Polysentience to any alien console or operating system would definitely be .asg (Audiovisual Sensory Graphic), which can be used through screens and manual interface outside of Mindware, but even then the software would have to be compatible with the format in order for it to be properly used without errors occurring.

I can't see any other hardware being able to use .rdf (Raw Data Format) or .vri (Virtual Reality Input), as these formats are directed and specifically programmed to use Mindware hardware to access particular areas of the brain as an interface.

Other than these physical restrictions, nothing stops anyone from accessing the Polysentience. The Freespacers are loathe to censor their networks from whoever wants to use them. And since Nepleslians now have legal, official access to Mindware implants (thanks to yours truly, Strangelove and Kokuten), Nepleslians can use the Mindware to access all formats types within the Polysentience to interact, communicate and entertain themselves with little to no problem.

tl;dr - It would only be accessible to compatible software. While .asg is fairly easy to translate to interface, .rdf and .vri formats would be almost impossible to access without mindware implants. Other than that, there's nothing stopping anyone.

Very interesting and it looks to be workable, though I have to wonder -- my character has developed comprehensive and advanced virtual reality and sensor feedback systems that can connect to SPINE or use mental transceivers for wireless (but ultra-short range, say less than a foot and a half) virtual reality. Where the person's body seems to sleep.

If these file formats were parsed by the computers in thise VR/sensor feedback systems and had sufficient communications hardware, could they access the Polysentience Cyberspace? I don't ask for "automatic infiltration get", I ask because Yaichiro has OOCly and independently developed a significant amount of VR tech in the past three years, and has purchased a third of a destroyed Freespacer Mothership some months to a year ago to keep out of the hands of other people. He might feasibly gain access to the file formats and polysentience connection hardware if it's technically possible.

Of course, this means he likely wouldn't gain access to the Pirates Bay since it got more popular AFTER the genocide.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back