Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[FSR] Lamentations of the Living

The Free State's emergency referendum to intensify the Call to Arms has succeeded with a 72% for, 20% against, and 8% abstained vote. Tensions grew heated over the last few days as Guild supporters flooded both the terminals of the Lighthouse and Beanfield to show their support. Even as far away from the caravan roving grounds as the Nepleslian capital, 'Spacers and Nepleslian liberal sympathizers joined in the local rally to show their support for the cause.

The image cuts to a brief scene wherein a number of anarchists wearing black accompanied by liberal protesters with signs march through one of the streets of Nepleslia. An Automaton holding a megaphone begins speaking over the noise of the crowd.

"There's a war brewing, here in the galaxy, but it's not about who can build the flashiest starships or the biggest guns. It's about who is willing to go the furthest lengths to slaughter the other's people -- it's about who can become less of a man, and more of a monster!

"This, my friends, is the reason Yamatai has won so many wars; just take a look at Kohana, Lor, the Mishhu worlds, or Halna! Even the Mishhuvurthyar's campaign of butchery can't come close to Yamatai own infamous count of subjugated nations!"
The Free State is now beginning to mobilize for a mass armament. There is currently hot debate on whether the State should break its tradition of having no standing army, but many fleets have preemptively begun retooling their industries to produce Militants and other autonomous forces.

The scene changes to what appears to be a vast hangar. In the background one can see massive mechanical arms picking up entire starship sections like toys and attaching them to incomplete cruiser hulls at a fervent pace. Each of these hulls are being moved through the bay and held in place by some sort of field emitters. Based on the small humanoid figures floating around the sides of the bay, the entire facility must be located in microgravity.

The camera backs up and reveals that this is being recorded from some sort of open-air control booth overseeing the assembly line. The view shifts and a young woman in a pressure suit, minus the helmet, can be seen leaning over a console in the booth. Her fiery red locks were drawn back into a pony tail which danced in the microgravity as she waved with a datapad to someone on the factory floor.

"Hey, I said that batch of nukes has to go to nuclear fuel reprocessing! No, frag it! The physics packages from the second lot are fine, the ones from the first lot need to go the rapid disassembly bay!"

One could vaguely make out someone shouting a response to her, but the details couldn't be heard over the sound of the assembly line.

"Yeah! And make sure you have the Gearheads from Reactor Nineteen doublecheck the xenon levels in that damned breeder core. The fissile material is absolutely worthless if it won't fission!" The woman turned from the edge of the booth and muttered under her breath. "Bloody newer generation clones can't tell their arse from an Automaton."

Her expression turned turned from irritation to casual boredom in an instant as she crossed her arms.
"So, where was I? Oh right. Well like I said, we've never warred among ourselves, let alone with another race, but this is what things have come to. I'm just a Gearhead, so I can't say with certainty that defeating the fascists will bring us peace. But what I can say with certainty is that we will probably never live in peace while they still breathe. While I love peace, I love my far flung kin even more. If saving the latter means giving up the former, I'll do it."
Advocates of pacifism have not remained idle either, as they prepare for a second Exodus deeper into the reaches of unexplored space. The Ley Lines are underway joint projects between both the militarist and pacifist supporters, which plan to utilize a synchronized array of Rift Generators in order to create a transportation network.

The reason for such a network is to better facilitate the movement of thousands of pacifist ships for their eventual expedition into the so-called unstable regions of space. Simultaneously the irregular resistance forces of the State will be able to engage in an extended-duration guerrilla campaign from within the Ley Lines, which will protect them from being overrun by the overwhelming numbers of fascists in future assaults, and allow them to replenish supplies remotely.

We aren't certain where things will go from here, but may the Engine of Progress guide us all.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back