• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Gallus-Class Defense Platform Drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
The submission by and large uses pre-existing tech, and thus shouldn't be too much of an issue to approve. I would only ask the submitter displays some restraint in construction and deployment of these drones, since they're large enough to qualify as starships.

This submission is approved for IC usage.

These are starships - they move at .375c.

Wes said:
These are starships - they move at .375c.

No one left me a memo about mobility causing something to qualify as a starship. I was under the impression that it was fine since I've seen other stations move about just fine.

To remove this stigma, what speed would I have to limit the Gallus to?

I would say make it basically immobile other than maybe the occasional hyperspace jump.

Right now, it is the same size as a starship, is armed like a starship, and moves like a starship, so it should be subject to faction limitations on starships.

Well yeah, chuck the STL, but I'd keep the FTL devices since even the Iori, and Zodiacs have them to putter about with for fast deployment along borders.

Wes said:
I would say make it basically immobile other than maybe the occasional hyperspace jump.

Right now, it is the same size as a starship, is armed like a starship, and moves like a starship, so it should be subject to faction limitations on starships.

Well, I'll cut the speed down to .10c, for in-system positioning. As for it being considered a starship, I don't exactly feel comfortable with that considering that the Kante, Rook, Hammer, and Ikoi are mobile platforms, and are not hindered by this limitation.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=novacorp:kante
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=nepleslia:rook
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=re ... n_platform
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=st ... ships:ikoi

I can't speak for the Ikoi and the Hammer, but the Rook and Kante have speeds that are drastically slower than most starships.

The Ikoi is also compliant with the speed standards (it is in category 5 of the Yamatai ship speeds) the Hammer is the only one that isn't because it hasn't been updated sense the new speed standard came into use.

Yeah, but there are less than 20 Ikoi total and with this submission, I see you magically added twenty THOUSAND of them to your defenses overnight. Very lame.

One thing I always put up on ship submissions is a sort of production schedule, such as "1,000 units every 2 years" or something to that effect. perhaps this could benefit from such an addition?

Uso said:
The Ikoi is also compliant with the speed standards (it is in category 5 of the Yamatai ship speeds) the Hammer is the only one that isn't because it hasn't been updated sense the new speed standard came into use.

I think Koku made the Hammer, so, I think either he, or one of the Nep GMs would be the one to handle that or something. Unless a consensus is reached.

Wes, I had a few thousand shipyards sitting idle since last November. ICly they had to be doing something. The Gallus-Project and the twenty-some of the battle-carrier I'm working on writing will be those projects which those shipyards were focused on.

I've refrained from being 'very lame' by not producing more ships than I had for a long while, not introducing overpowered designs, abiding by colonization decisions, and not splitting my shipyards even though I could have several times by now. I've been behaving, the Gallus is just something I've been putting off for a long time, and I feel it is a sensible and worth-while addition to the UOC as a whole since we don't have our own form of defense grid. Mind you, I'm not using all of the ones produced, they're also going to the UOC for the defense of the assets of all the colonies.

I'm trying to be fair Wes, and work with your needs and wants.

About this matter, do I need to go absolutely zero mobility with the platform, or could I maintain the .10c I downgraded it to? I think the speed is in accordance to other defense platform trends which are already in common canon. Just give me a final verdict and I'll be sure to edit in the proper speed. Thank you for your time Wes, I understand you are quite busy.

Well wait. If you put these things near a planetary body, you're going to kind of need STL, or some form of thruster system to make orbital course corrections too.

The probe is fine in its current form but will have to be produced starting at zero at the date of its actual approval and must be manufactured in the shipyards as if it were a starship until you get the number you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back