Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Suggestion Game Master Starter Packs

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
It seems like the most important resource SARP has is its Game Masters: The people who are not only willing to play in the RPs, but also to run them for fellow players. I was brainstorming ways to make being a GM more approachable for players. Being a GM isn't that complicated, you just have to start an RP thread (anyone can do it, you don't need the fancy blue title), but there's a lot of expectations for the bigger plots.

Thinking on this, I had an idea that maybe I should make a couple of ready-to-claim plot ships that come with existing NPC crews, mission profiles, and some starter adventures as kind of an "easy start to GMing in SARP kit" for players who want to run a ship but are worried about the setup work. You could just plug in a couple of players you love and head off for action together. At first I'd make some for Yamatai but it'd be nice to have at least one them in all faction flavors. They would be replaced as claimed. I guess think of them as GM-adoptable plot ships.

Do you think that would help? If you like this idea, please upvote it so we can see if there's interest.

Heck, I've got some old plots from Origin that I could clean up that are already stocked with NPC's and just need a story and someone to run it. I'm all for this.

This idea intrigues me, would it essentially be a wiki page that includes a blurb about a ship of some class, plus a character/npc group page?

This idea intrigues me, would it essentially be a wiki page that includes a blurb about a ship of some class, plus a character/npc group page?
Yes, and also a collection of a few juicy plot ideas the GM might find useful for their mission planning.

Note: I have almost this for civilian exploration captains, minus the ready-made npcs

I think this is a great idea. Not just for new GMs, but I think it could be beneficial for all GMs. Sometimes you just get stuck and it's good to have some ideas to help get the things going.

I also think that for larger plots, having a Co-GM in a plot could be beneficial because of sometimes RL gets in the way and when a plot slows down is when you lose players. Also if someone is GMing or co-GMing they are a lot more invested in the plot and helps keep momentum going.

Thinking on this, I had an idea that maybe I should make a couple of ready-to-claim plot ships that come with existing NPC crews, mission profiles, and some starter adventures as kind of an "easy start to GMing in SARP kit" for players who want to run a ship but are worried about the setup work.
This would be awesome and is a great evolution on top of the old PvP ships you made like… 18 years ago? The YSS Adventure got me running something for myself and eventually Revolver, and that concept plus not having to think about filling in NPCs would have made it even easier. Even if the NPCs are just some AI art to give the would-be GM a basis of description, this could become a really cool stable of ships/crews from which prospective GMs can try their hand at running things.

Plot ideas have always been my problem. Don't want to look like I am copying someone and not be boring at the same time.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back