Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Gartagen Grav plating

The articles are pretty bare.

We're not really expecting anything more than laymen's terms and a few buzzwords to make the tech workable. Adding a historical and social perspective on how the technology subsequently affected the race's culture or industry would be a good way to spruce up the page, as well.

Okay, gravity is generally used to pull, so putting plates on the ceiling to push down of the people is really backwards. Instead of being pulled towards the floor in a normal fashion you are talking about pushing down on them. And why have one in the floor since it doesn't do anything based on your description.

Okay, what is the range of gravity that they can provide, 0 - 1G, 0 - 2G.... etc

I have edited it, but would like to discuss these changes with Ira. I'm not sure if he wants the plating to be limited by total work performed by the plates.

If he doesn't like my limiting system, then the range is 'off +Between 1/2 and 1.5 G for standard plates. Between 0 and 100 G for mass effect balls, and between off, and 7 to 25 G for acceleration protection plates.'

Ok, this looks good so far, but...

You can not use internal gravity to "A final use is to produce shadow mass for maneuvering purposes."

Gravity is only going to create Gravity. It does not make the ship heavier or lighter, or change the center of mass, because center of mass is just that mass, and mass is irrelevant to gravity. Even in deep space a ship has mass, even if there is no gravity.

Nashoba said:
Ok, this looks good so far, but...

You can not use internal gravity to "A final use is to produce shadow mass for maneuvering purposes."

Gravity is only going to create Gravity. It does not make the ship heavier or lighter, or change the center of mass, because center of mass is just that mass, and mass is irrelevant to gravity. Even in deep space a ship has mass, even if there is no gravity.

For the record gravity is a property of mass, as is inertia. In theory if you can make gravity waves you can use them to make inertia and make fake 'masses', as they would bend space locally in a similar way to a real mass.

But removed, yeah

Yeah, they would affect the space and give the appearance of more mass, but the actual ship's mass would not change. Mass is not weight. And Mass never changes.

Approved

RPG-D RPGfix
Back