Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Gatling(Garts)

"[it can be used] as a defensive turret inside a ship"

The inside of a ship's hull isn't armored. I'm pretty sure that 30mm rounds would just rip right through the inside of most ships. o_O

1: gartagen RRF troopers wear pressurized armor.
2: If their ship is boarded, the last thing they are worried about at that point is damaging their ship. Their goal is to destroy the enemy.

Why not just use a self-destruct button then? The ship's integrity is kinda vital for after the boarding action. Not factoring it in during combat is silly.

Unless this is part of the Gartagen/RRF/Union military mindset which operates on a different logic. The whole "alien logic is defies our logic" theme.

Garts are not into suicide. If their ship gets boarded they will fight the borders brutally, and vent the ship's compartments. Combat on a gart ship would suck for any intruder and that is the idea.

Excuse me, but ah, 2.30 meters seems a bit small. Sure, if we're just talking about the barrel assembly that seems applicable, but I would imagine it would be better to include length listings for the rotor assembly, feed system, and ammunition container(s) being included, to provide a better picture of just how the weapon would size up when actually deployed and mounted.

I actually did research on several different Gatling guns when I made this article. Stuff like a feed system(linkless) would be implied. The other thing you have to remember this is based ON modern day technology, it is not a direct rip OF modern day technology.

Gartagen technology is quite a bit more advanced then any thing currently existing on modern day earth. It is reasonable to assume they have a more advanced rotary system in place then what you would find on 21st century technology. As far as the feed system, there are two different sizes of drums, which are connected to the gun, keeping a steady flow of bullets into it as it hoses an area down.

But... Unless those containers were magic self-filling containers, you'd run out of ammo in about 10-20 seconds of continuous fire considering the size of the gun, it's drums, and the caliber of ammo it fires.

The amount of ammo you'd have access to would be great for precision blasting of armored targets, or quickly strafing a line or arc to get rid of infantry, but "hosing down an area," as in like, the way you would with a heavy machinegun? I don't think that would work unless you drastically reduced with RPM.

The drums are actually quite large and thus have a high ammo capacity. Not to mention that this is not intended for "covert use" and the device these pieces of gear are going to be attached too are quite large. Needless to say troops using this will be more apt to use it in controlled bursts, rather then spraying.

Well as Gartagen player I am looking forward to this gun. Also if ammo count is problem, there is also posibbility of changing the caliber. Maybe 20mm or 25mm could work better.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back