• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Getting Help Personal Weapons Types... who to ask?

phacon

Inactive Member
Hey guys now that I finished working on

First off I should say that I am really horrible when it comes to making weapons:
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=azoreans:sound-based_explosive
see I am really horrible >>;
(FYI: I only keep that link as an example for people to look at. It not something I plan on working on)

I like to work on some underwater pistols, semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and torpedo bazookas that are between PDR 1 and PDR 4

However, when it comes to weapons stats other than the rifle... I kind of need help from someone how has actually experience with guns. Someone who I can ask embarrassing questions like what is muzzle velocity? or rounds per minute?
Someone who can help me just right a simple PDR 1 pistol...

Any volunteers?

You need to make a question thread... for that?!

Seriously, you could've just gone on IRC and asked. Doshii, Soresu and Kampfr often talk about gun stuff and it's pretty well known.

Fred said:
You need to make a question thread... for that?!

Seriously, you could've just gone on IRC and asked. Doshii, Soresu and Kampfr often talk about gun stuff and it's pretty well known.

Well their where not a few people on a minute ago... and topic I pick are not aways favorable on IRC, so the question form seemed like a good idea.

If Doshii, Soresu, or Kampfr would like to volunteer themselves, I would really really be in their debt, and just have time then post in this thread. Alternatively Is their anyone else?

You asked something very similar and you could have just combined those these two questions.

When making a weapon you shouldn't worry about the small details at first. Figure out what it needs to do, like being an underwater weapon for power armors.

Then figure out how it is going to do that. You need to decide how it is going to damage power armors in such a way is not going to be seriously hampered by being underwater. Torpedoes and Supercavitation tend to be best here.

Then you can worry about the numbers. Once you've figured out which mechanism you are using the numbers are really easy, either search for something similar on the wikipedia or make them up yourself using common sense (lasers move at the speed of light, bullets less so, ect)

Uso said:
You asked something very similar and you could have just combined those these two questions.

When making a weapon you shouldn't worry about the small details at first. Figure out what it needs to do, like being an underwater weapon for power armors.

Then figure out how it is going to do that. You need to decide how it is going to damage power armors in such a way is not going to be seriously hampered by being underwater. Torpedoes and Supercavitation tend to be best here.

Then you can worry about the numbers. Once you've figured out which mechanism you are using the numbers are really easy, either search for something similar on the wikipedia or make them up yourself using common sense (lasers move at the speed of light, bullets less so, ect)

Oh I already decided most of the how its going to work. I plan the power requirements to be based on portable H20 power generators.

I was planning to work on only one Power armor weapons on a bunch of personal weapons. At the same time though I was going to work on one power armor rifle weapon based on a realistic underwater main gun... the thing that replaced the Mk 1 Underwater Defense Gun in both range and ordinance.

However, I found that the range of underwater weapons was signficantly small.
I mean it makes since due the fact that most guns become nonlethal after 3-8 feet as mythbuster proved

So I was wanted to talk privately who new about guys so I could show them the guns I wanted to base new technology on and get their advance about what kind of trade off I could make for increased range.

However, in order to find someone at least publically to talk to let me use an example of an outdated underwater gun.
Lets say I was going to do an assault rifle based on the stats of the APS underwater rifle
Code:
Weight 	2.4 kg (5.29 lb) empty
                3.4 kg (7.5 lb) loaded
Length 	823 mm (32.4 in), stock extended
                614 mm (24.2 in), stock retracted
Barrel length 	300 mm (11.81 in)
Width 	65 mm
-----------------------
Cartridge 	5.66x39mm MPS; link to image of cartridge
Action 	Gas actuated
Rate of fire 	600 rounds per minute (in air)
Muzzle velocity 	365 meter per second (in air)
Effective range 	30 m at depth 5 m (98 ft at depth 16 ft)
                        20 m at depth 20 m (66 ft at depth 66 ft)
                        11 m at depth 40 m (36 ft at depth 131 ft)
Feed system 	26 round Magazine
However, if you notice the problem with the APS is that unlike its cousin the AK-74, which has a range of 600 m, the APS has a max of 50 m. This is actually pretty good since the max that has been ever achieved is like 200 m.

To all you guns expert out there, is their anything I could do to improve the rifles range? even if its still less than the AK 74?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back