• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Gaming Guitar Hero

You play Guitar Hero?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jack Greyfox

Inactive Member
Anyone else play Guitar Hero? I started my ScoreHero ranking three days ago and I've been ranked 480th out of 1544 in the AAA (Hard) Division. I guess this is half gloating, half-searching for other Heroes.

I'd play it if I actually had it. Not all that psyched to get it. Played the first one, was fun but nothing beyond a quirky 'that was fun okay what's next' kinda feeling. I'm a little interested in the second one. If anything the game needs like a way to keep adding songs so that as they get more license agreements done you just download and play. I would be more interested if there was a decent Van Halen spread on it. Maybe even a few Twisted Sister. Or some Limo Zeen (joke).

Don't think Dance Dance Revolution even had that, but that was before the days of the online console anyway. Now, they've replaced it with StepMania, which is completely free, allows you to download songs from other people, AND write steps to your favorite songs. And it's made by Bemani, who I think created DDR, so it's prefectly legal. I used to play that, in fact it's still on me laptop with the 400+ songs I had for it, mostly from the older DDRs. I stopped playing in favor of guitar hero.

I don't like stepmania, because you can't play it with your feet. If only there were USB Dance Dance Revolution Dance Pads!

GH2 has "You Really Got Me" by Van Halen. On 360 and PS3, you will be able to download new songs.

GH2 is also hellishly harder, and a lot more fun, although the new song list isnt quite as strong as the old (fortunately, it has the old as well). To make things even awesomer, you get the Trogdor Song as a bonus track.

The only thing I downright hate on GH2? They. Put. Fucking. Freebird on it. GH3 will have Stairway to Heaven, that's hinted at a lot in the loading screens. But Stairway to Heaven doesnt suck, and Freebird does.

That said, yes, I play. I'm not too interested in online scoring, but I can comment that I make an average 93-97% accuracy on Cowboys From Hell on Expert. That's my gloating.

I also comment I can play Cowboys From Hell on guitar, and it's nowhere near as hard as it is in that bloody game.

"I guess they weren't just heckling you..."

That's great. Anyway, there are no good players near my house, so I have no one to play, and I thrive on competition. It's the best motivator.

If you're going to dance, dance to Hendrix.

Because Hendrix pwns more soul than anyone. Disappointingly, the only Hendrix song to make GH or GH2? Spanish Castle Magic... badly covered... and sans lyrics.

Meanwhile, lacktalent hack Ozzy Ozbourne has gotten, insofar, three songs. Of which only War Pigs even begins to have the slightest bit of artistic value. Bark at the Moon? Stab me, please. And Ironman has possibly the stupidest lyrics ever written. EVER. Someone shoot Red Octane for denying glory to truly great guitarists and musicians as they pimp out bland mainstream pseudo-metal.

I actually preferred Spanish Castle Magic as an Instrumental. In fact, the only reason it doesn't have lyrics is because the vocal artist they had was TOO good, and Hendrix's people didn't want it to sound exactly like him. They even tried a woman instead, but it didn't work out. As for BATM, I like that song too. It was a great ending piece to the game, IMHO. And Iron Man was written before Ozzy Osborne went solo, and it's a difficult piece to boot.

Now, one song that DOESN'T belong is Sail Your Ship By. I HATE that song...ugh... There's a code to turn Sail Your Ship By into Graveyard Shift, which was removed from the final game, for good reason, because it is DISGUSTING So you end up having to choose between one horrible song and another. They should have just replaced Sail Your Ship By with *Trippolette, which was removed because it was more Prog-Rock and didn't fit in, but at least it SOUNDED GOOD! And *Trippolette has the hardest solo in the game...and on Expert even the main riff is hard.

Better they have a vocalist who sounds like Hendrix and a guitarist who fails utterly than just a guitarist who fails utterly. Im in agreement with Orion, that song doesnt feel right without the lyrics.

Iron Man was pre-solo Ozzy (like War Pigs) but it was still Ozzy. And anyone who calls that difficult to play has never taken a day of guitar lessons. I use the riffs for students in their first week, to encourage use of the full fret board with simple progressions. Bark At the Moon Im neutral on. Bland, absolutely. Zachary Wylde is a decent guitarist, though, so I can see it having a place in the game. I just dont think its really a good ending for that.

The only song in that game I would have taken out completely is Stellar. I hate Incubus with fiery passion. I also would have taken out Ziggy Stardust and Killer Queen simply for the fact that they were covered so badly it insulted me. Whoevers genius idea it was to tack on a shitty solo to Ziggy Stardust needs to have their eyes removed, boiled in sesame oil, and fed to them.

I disagree with the following statements in your posts.

As for BATM, I like that song too. It was a great ending piece to the game, IMHO.
it's a difficult piece to boot.
Better they have a vocalist who sounds like Hendrix and a guitarist who fails utterly than just a guitarist who fails utterly.

Better they not insult Hendrix at all if they cant get a decent cover.

That said. I never found Iron Man difficult to play on guitar or GH. GH is easier, in fact. And that says volumes about its simplicity.

Meh, not many things I can say about all that. It's probably best for me to keep my mouth shut, save for this stunning conclusion:

If you don't like it, don't play it.

Unfortunately, you need to play everything at least once to get through the game.

Which is the ONLY reason I've played Free Bird on GH2. And for that indignity, I will murder Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not as though any of the original members are actually still alive.

Love it, just think it really could have been better pulled off.

You know, if they had me do some of their covers. Or Seki. If they needed an instrumental cover of Spanish Castle Magic, they should have had her do it. >.>

Eikan Moon said:
Love it, just think it really could have been better pulled off.

You know, if they had me do some of their covers. Or Seki. If they needed an instrumental cover of Spanish Castle Magic, they should have had her do it. >.>

Is that the stench of conceit I smell? In the most un-insulting way possible, what makes you believe that you could do a better job than a professional cover artist?

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful creation known as the dictionary. Look here under "Pinnacle of Rock." What does it say? That's right. Free Bird.

Is that the stench of conceit I smell? In the most un-insulting way possible, what makes you believe that you could do a better job than a professional cover artist?
The years of music classes and the lots of natural talent.

Seki can do better being proffessional herself. Her skill as a guitarist is unmatched by anyone Ive ever known. And Ive known a lot of guitarists.

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful creation known as the dictionary. Look here under "Pinnacle of Rock." What does it say? That's right. Free Bird.
What dictionary is that?

Since that's clearly the most flagrant misrepresentation ever. Lynyrd Skynyrd... watered down "Wish We Were Pantera" band; absolute failure as lyricists, and relatively lacking in guitar ability as well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…