• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission Halna Star System (Revision/Expansion)

Floodwaters

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Expansion of existing article on Halna star system
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=system:halna
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=planet:the_black_moon
Faction: Yamatai
FM Approved Yet? No
Faction requires art? No

Notes:

This is an expansion of an existing article based on events in The Fringe plot. I split the original article into two seperate ones, modifying the original one to an overview of the entire star system, and linking a new detailed page to The Black Moon, which was the primary settlement.

This concerns events taking place after the Freespacer Genocide, mostly a vague sense of how the moon was resettled, so I'm certain there will be some revisions that need to be made.

I believe there will be some custom art forthcoming for the article in the next few days as well.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Made a few minor formatting revisions and added some public domain artwork, as well as couple of images I crafted using Fractal Terrains and Celestia.

After doing a little more research (without having an astrophysics degree), it seems to me that the Black Moon's originally stated position would be too close to the planet to avoid heavy volcanic activity, tidal flexing, or perhaps being pulled into the planet or ripped to pieces by tidal forces. I haven't yet made those changes to the article, but if the approvers are favorable to the idea, I would like to retcon the moon's placement to be further away from the planet.

Sounds good to me.

Same here, let's use common sense.

Maybe make it an elliptical orbit? That would explain away any references to it being close in RP, without having the same impact on the physics as a stable close orbit.

After playing around with a few random generations in Astrosynthesis, and taking Aendri's suggestion into account, I've modified the orbit to make it a little more plausible and more eccentric so that it spends half of its orbit in relative proximitiy to the planet. I also added a section addressing mild "moonquakes" that occasionally occur on the moon, due to the gravitational interactions between the planet and moon, mitigated by the moon's extremely rapid rotation.

Reactions: Wes
Added a section entitled "Common Independently Contracted Jobs" to the Black Moon article. Any other ideas are welcome, preferably ones that the controlling groups on the colony would not have a vested interest in performing with their own people, whether or not they require a starship.

Article approved!

Thank you for taking the time to add more detail to the setting with this improvement.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ