• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Heavy Infantry Plasma Rifle

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
it's taken a few revisions to keep it out of niche-rot, and some IC nagging by players who want to use it, but I'm finally submitting the HIPR.

Comments, questions, concerns?

Recoil for this weapon (assuming each round weighs about the same as a 9mm pistol round) is roughly 40 kilotons which is more than two Hiroshima bombs.

You say, 'Heavy Infantry', Kai. But what does that mean? Is it used by something like the Impulse?

It's meant to be used as an extremely heavy weapon for Light infantry, as in a replacement for a Bazooka.

For a Powered Armor's use, it's a heavy rifle with the capability to be used for roles outside of simply a heavy anti-material rifle.

I doubt light infantry could use the weapon since for them it seems to be pretty unwieldy. Without some sort of thick padding or recoil reduction they'd dislocate shoulders. Plus, for the damage you're wanting this thing to have, I'm basing this on the assumption the higher the damage, the hotter and denser the plasma. So you'd be placing these guys right behind a jet of super-heated ionized gases.

So I'd suggest either dropping the light infantry use, or advising protection for its use.

With 40kilotons of recoil (considering the muzzle speed) If a power armor fired this it would rip the arm off entirely.

It is entirely unreasonable for this to be used by a power armor or infantryman.

Using this: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=model_30_condensed_plasma_revolver as my Precedent, None of what I've put in this weapon sounds unreasonable.

Yes, it's a large, unwieldy weapon, and yes, there's advanced recoil management to make it manageable. It's not meant to be something a person can simply whip around and use standing normally, Light Infantry would need to be heavily braced and/or prone to fire the weapon, and require support.

Upon Doshii's insistence, and his knowledge that most Plasma weapons have no listed Muzzle velocity anyway, I have removed the Muzzle velocity, which was probably in Error and seems to be what Uso is focusing on.

-Hand waves.-

As long as there are mentions of bracing, support and protection for the intended use by light infantry I'm fine with it.

The gun's actual length, and the fact that it has to project a containment field for a certain amount just to function properly should be enough protection for someone who is wearing such general battlefield dress (Ie; gloves, heavy long-sleeve jacket, body armor) to fire. Naturally if you try to fire it without a shirt on you're getting the worst flash-sunburn you've ever had, though.

As for recoil management, I'll add something to that effect into the article shortly.

Umm... Bump?

I would like to know whether or not i'll have this weapon available for use in a current plot, so a judgment on it's readiness would be nice. I don't mind either way, but could I at least have a decision?

It recommended light infantry use the heavy setting on this thing? I imagine it'd have a hell of a kick.

It recommends that those guys are either prone, or braced really well. if standing it'll knock them on their rear, which I think I said something to that effect in the description near the top.

it's designed to be at the absolute limits of what infantry can handle, and if not properly braced, can easily break a clavicle or dislocate a shoulder. violently.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…